Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's coming in the new version of DF?  (Read 7103 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What's coming in the new version of DF?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 09:32:10 pm »

14. Blunt weapon overhaul. Blunt attacks can now "pulp" body parts, which essentially means that they no longer hold structural integrity. Pulped limbs will not be able to be raised as undead and will be unusable on a still-living thing.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 11:50:57 am »

14. Blunt weapon overhaul. Blunt attacks can now "pulp" body parts, which essentially means that they no longer hold structural integrity. Pulped limbs will not be able to be raised as undead and will be unusable on a still-living thing.

which means, maybe, just -maybe- we'll be able to stop being vegan on evil maps.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 12:53:28 pm »

which means, maybe, just -maybe- we'll be able to stop being vegan on evil maps.

But that wont fix the AI senslessly beating an enemy far after they are incapacitated will it?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

It might, actually. Besides, that's an intended feature:

PowerGoal63, INEXPERTLY AND REPEATEDLY, (Future): You swing at the goblin, overextending. It kicks you in the stomach and your feet slip out from under you. When you hit the ground, you drop your sword. The goblin holds its giant club over its head, but with the weight of the club, it loses its balance and stumbles. You leap forward up from the ground and rush the goblin but trip on a rock and land in some serpent vines, which entangle you. You struggle to free yourself, but aren't in time as the goblin inexpertly and repeatedly clubs you until you die.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 01:02:28 pm »

Perhaps...but the key there seems to be "Inexpertly"...I hate seeing my legendary hammerdwarf spend the entire battle bashing the same creature repeatedly. Now if a pulped limb is treated as gone that should fix it...I don't expect the medical system can fix a pulped limb...and it sounds like a guaranteed infection that likely needs amputated anyways.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 02:01:11 pm »

One thing that I am thinking of doing is attempting to do brachiating (iPhone spell check wanted to correct that to bra hustling, lol XD ) or otherwise swing around in trees like a monkey as an adventurer.

The default playable adventure races might be a little big, but it will be fun.

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 03:38:00 am »

I have a question, will my Dwarves in Fortress Mode also have some climbing skills?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 09:24:50 am »

Probably not for the next release. Toady mentioned he had yet to try and see if it might miraculously work by just flipping a switch with no extra changes needed, but I doubt it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:01 am »

I hope they have climbing skills. I want to make a fortress that begins halfway up a sheer cliff face to house my spidey-dwarves.

He mentioned somewhere that the real problem is not the climbing itself, but the pathing AI. So I'm sure that they can learn how, but how do we teach them?

The changes and new capabilities in the arena are ripe for tons of science (as well as !!SCIENCE!!) in a controlled setting. Temperature changes, weather, time of day...

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »

Well, it's only the biggest update in the history of Dwarf Fortress.

I have no doubt this update will be *epic*.  However, your comment suggests to me that you weren't here for the introduction of the 'Z' dimension ;)

The transition from 2D to 3D was pretty amazing!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 08:11:49 pm »

Just because I wasn't there doesn't mean I can't compare.

This update is bigger, definitely. Heck, the 2D version had a Z-axis, it's just that a lot of the game (liquids, dwarf mode in general) wasn't designed for it.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 08:37:20 pm »

Just because I wasn't there doesn't mean I can't compare.

This update is bigger, definitely. Heck, the 2D version had a Z-axis, it's just that a lot of the game (liquids, dwarf mode in general) wasn't designed for it.

Did you play the 2D version?  I'm not saying that you can't compare.  I'm just saying that, for people that played the 2D version, switching to 3D was a huge milestone.

The bottom line is, I can't wait for the next version! :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:27 am »

I did and have, dorf and adventure. This update is bigger.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 06:36:13 pm »

Perhaps...but the key there seems to be "Inexpertly"...I hate seeing my legendary hammerdwarf spend the entire battle bashing the same creature repeatedly. Now if a pulped limb is treated as gone that should fix it...I don't expect the medical system can fix a pulped limb...and it sounds like a guaranteed infection that likely needs amputated anyways.
"Pulping", to me, sounds like "This body part is more ragged flesh then distinct body part". As in, it loses it's cohesion, and any functions it might have are gone. So if you repeatedly smashed your finger (or, hell, your whole hand) with a sledgehammer, it would eventually become something less then a finger or hand, and something more then a stump; basically just a ugly, useless mess.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »

If I understand pulping correctly, still-living tissue has a (slim?) chance to recover if it's still actually alive, but is completely useless for re-animation purposes. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4