Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What's coming in the new version of DF?  (Read 7102 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: What's coming in the new version of DF?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »

2) Dwarf mode. Invaders setting up tents and placing patrols. Now they won't magically know when you attack them, so you can set up ambushes and raids. Of course with clumsy squad control it's not that easy to do, but it's great.

I think the tents and patrols will only be in Adv. Mode for the time being.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »

2) Dwarf mode. Invaders setting up tents and placing patrols. Now they won't magically know when you attack them, so you can set up ambushes and raids. Of course with clumsy squad control it's not that easy to do, but it's great.

I think the tents and patrols will only be in Adv. Mode for the time being.

You may have been thinking of the patrols and command centers (I don't think I've read anything about tents though) in occupied sites. I don't think Toady One has said anything about changes in the fort mode seiging AI and even if there were, he might have mentioned it during testing.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »

I'm curious about what the tents actually are. If they're something we can build in fort mode, it'd be a great asset to set up little base camps on the surface for patrols or migrants you don't have space for with next to no cost. At least less than there would be around building a wood and stone outpost.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 05:02:58 am »

Do we have any idea what all the changes with the whole world being in the background always will do to FPS?

I'm a bit worried that larger fortresses may become laggy more easily.
Did Toady ever say anything about this issue?
I mean, during programming he might as well have streamlined some subroutines to run more smoothly, who knows?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:30:57 am »

Do we have any idea what all the changes with the whole world being in the background always will do to FPS?

I'm a bit worried that larger fortresses may become laggy more easily.
Did Toady ever say anything about this issue?
I mean, during programming he might as well have streamlined some subroutines to run more smoothly, who knows?

Events in the outside world (like army movements) are still largely abstract unless an adventurer is present, so the performance impact should be pretty minimal.  We may hear more about it when Toady gets to pre-release optimizations.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »

1 ) Total movement re-write. Previously your movement speed and your combat attack speed were a single value. This made fighting someone while on the ground an extremely one-sided battle. This is being changed in the next release which leads me to:

2 ) Total combat re-write. Now you will be capable of telling your character to actively attempt to parry attacks, along with being capable of attacking with multiple weapons at once. Non-lethal combat now exists, though prisoner mechanics haven't seemed to have changed. You may now also sheath your weapons.

3 ) Total stealth re-write. Gone are the days that stealth was walking in an open field with reckless abandon and a speed penalty. Enemies will now have cones of vision and stealth is based on how quiet you are being which is intrinsically tied to how fast you are moving. I would imagine the ambushing skill makes it much easier to walk/run quietly but I do not know.

4 ) Jumping and Climbing. You can now climb non-smooth surfaces, as well as jump several spaces. This includes horrible failures that result in every bone in your body being broken as I'm sure you can imagine.

5 ) Activated World: Worldgen will now continue as you play, the world will interact with itself and you in a procedural manner as you progress.

6 ) AI controlled settlements: All site types are now returned to the game and then some. Goblin Towers, Elf Retreats, and Dwarf Fortresses will all be represented in-game and created by it just as they were in worldgen. They will be filled with entity populations, historical figures, guards, and all other sorts of fun things.

7 ) Small Scale Warfare: Sites may be claimed by various individuals including you. You are capable of over-throwing the current rulers of a settlement by organizing an insurrection. While Army-To-Army doesn't seem to be a prerogative for this release there's still quite a bit of work going into establishing the groundwork.

8 ) Conversation System Re-Write: Conversations now take time and can be interrupted! People will "remember" the conversations so if you plan to overthrow the local government you might get tattled on.

9 ) Fort retirement: You may now retire your fort without abandoning it. The Worldgen process will take control from that point. You may freely go on adventures and take control back at any time you like. Settle your adventurer in your fort and have him as a citizen if you please. Probably a good and safe way to train adventurers in the safety and comfort of a dwarf fortress.

That's probably not everything but that's a lot of it. A lot of this information was in the DF Talk segments or the Dev Blog. Linking every individual one would be extremely time consuming and I hope you'll forgive me for not doing so.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:42:39 pm by TastyMints »

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 11:16:38 pm »

So this has probably been asked every day for months on end, but is there a release estimate for this amazing update? I am not a very regular forum member, and only browse the dev blog on rare occasions, so i am not up-to-date on all this stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 11:29:54 pm »

So this has probably been asked every day for months on end, but is there a release estimate for this amazing update? I am not a very regular forum member, and only browse the dev blog on rare occasions, so i am not up-to-date on all this stuff.

Within 12 months, likely within 6, probably within 3.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 09:56:42 am »

March 2013 ;P

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »

...ok.  so...
Pulping isn't on the list?  ???
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 03:59:35 pm »

March 2013 ;P
At this point it's more like March 2014, isn't it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 04:01:18 pm »

...ok.  so...

I think it is. Massive trees are.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »

...ok.  so...

It is and it's done.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:33 pm »

And why is nobody talking about the BIGGEST feature for me? Ability to retire fortresses without killing them! Ability to run multiple fortresses in the same world (SUCCESSION GAMES?) and interacting with adventurers (sending adventurers to bring artifacts/slabs/books, to kill enemy generals etc).

I second that!
Besides all the other very exiting stuff that is going to change, I'm really looking forward to this.
It will really feel like playing the whole world!

Although, given the stupidity advanced intelligence of dwarfs, I wonder what will happen in the fortress once we turn our eyes somewhere else ...

I can already see it, you make a decent fort, and retire from it. Leave the world running for a few year and come back.
Its all covered with engravings of engravings of cheese.

I'm more interested in vast, multi-fort projects that we can now attempt!

Things like, for example, building aqueducts across the entire world. A giant magma river! Setting up canals, vast highways, actually building up the dwarven empire!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 09:19:05 pm »

1 ) Total movement re-write. Previously your movement speed and your combat attack speed were a single value. This made fighting someone while on the ground an extremely one-sided battle. This is being changed in the next release which leads me to:

2 ) Total combat re-write. Now you will be capable of telling your character to actively attempt to parry attacks, along with being capable of attacking with multiple weapons at once. Non-lethal combat now exists, though prisoner mechanics haven't seemed to have changed. You may now also sheath your weapons. Combat participants can surrender during combat and bring the engagement to a close, or flee if they don't feel they can win.

3 ) Total stealth re-write. Gone are the days that stealth was walking in an open field with reckless abandon and a speed penalty. Enemies will now have cones of vision and stealth is based on how quiet you are being which is intrinsically tied to how fast you are moving. I would imagine the ambushing skill makes it much easier to walk/run quietly but I do not know.

4 ) Jumping and Climbing. You can now climb non-smooth surfaces, as well as jump several spaces. This includes horrible failures that result in every bone in your body being broken as I'm sure you can imagine.

5 ) Activated World: Worldgen will now continue as you play, the world will interact with itself and you in a procedural manner as you progress.

6 ) AI controlled settlements: All site types are now returned to the game and then some. Goblin Towers, Elf Retreats, and Dwarf Fortresses will all be represented in-game and created by it just as they were in worldgen. They will be filled with entity populations, historical figures, guards, and all other sorts of fun things.

7 ) Small Scale Warfare: Sites may be claimed by various individuals including you. You are capable of over-throwing the current rulers of a settlement by organizing an insurrection. While Army-To-Army doesn't seem to be a prerogative for this release there's still quite a bit of work going into establishing the groundwork.

8 ) Conversation System Re-Write: Conversations now take time and can be interrupted! People will "remember" the conversations so if you plan to overthrow the local government you might get tattled on.

9 ) Fort retirement: You may now retire your fort without abandoning it. The Worldgen process will take control from that point. You may freely go on adventures and take control back at any time you like. Settle your adventurer in your fort and have him as a citizen if you please. Probably a good and safe way to train adventurers in the safety and comfort of a dwarf fortress.

That's probably not everything but that's a lot of it. A lot of this information was in the DF Talk segments or the Dev Blog. Linking every individual one would be extremely time consuming and I hope you'll forgive me for not doing so.

10) NPCs now have more particular reasons to go adventuring with the player. For example, villagers who want to overthrow an occupation will go along with the player for that purpose.

11) The player character in adventure mode can give orders (e.g. "wait here") and items to NPCs.

12) Murdering NPCs in adventure mode no longer turns entire civilizations against the PC automatically: if there are no witnesses, the PC can get away with it.

13) There is tracking information now, allowing PCs to hunt enemies both locally and in map mode. I'm not sure if NPCs can hunt PCs, but I don't think so.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4