Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New Version Soonish?  (Read 5882 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: New Version Soonish?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 01:18:34 am »

Pah, that's the smallest of the changes! I can't decide if I like the speed/combat split or the changes to attacking/dual-wielding most.

Or the plethora of other fucking AWESOME changes that're sitting there on toady's computer waiting for their birth into the world. Like climbing & jumping. Or sneaking with vision cones. Or a non-static post-gen world.

-I'm kinda worried this'll be the beginning of the end- the game's gonna be in a condition where it's, well, feeling good enough to walk away from. Or at least that's my fear. (Oh noes the game's too good!)

-also, inb4 all-time donation record on the month of this next release.

all it's going to need at that point is the graphics overhaul and the customizable interface overhaul, and we might actually have a completely playable game finally? It's a scary thought that we might be approaching the end of Alpha and entering into beta.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 04:40:16 am »

Graphics overhaul? Interface overhaul?
BURN THIS HERETIC!

Jokes aside, DF's obscurity is what makes it THE DF. It's needed, yes, but not by any means necessary or crucial.
And I don't think the terms alpha and beta apply to this game.

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:40 am »

Graphics overhaul? Interface overhaul?
BURN THIS HERETIC!

Jokes aside, DF's obscurity is what makes it THE DF. It's needed, yes, but not by any means necessary or crucial.
And I don't think the terms alpha and beta apply to this game.

I think of DF as less of a game that is in stages and more of a novel, in that it'll never be done until the author writes the final letter.

This novel just happens to start with "Once upon a time, two brothers decided to tell infinite stories..."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 05:34:44 pm »

Pah, that's the smallest of the changes! I can't decide if I like the speed/combat split or the changes to attacking/dual-wielding most.

Or the plethora of other fucking AWESOME changes that're sitting there on toady's computer waiting for their birth into the world. Like climbing & jumping. Or sneaking with vision cones. Or a non-static post-gen world.

-I'm kinda worried this'll be the beginning of the end- the game's gonna be in a condition where it's, well, feeling good enough to walk away from. Or at least that's my fear. (Oh noes the game's too good!)

-also, inb4 all-time donation record on the month of this next release.

all it's going to need at that point is the graphics overhaul and the customizable interface overhaul, and we might actually have a completely playable game finally? It's a scary thought that we might be approaching the end of Alpha and entering into beta.
We haven'y even gotten to to half-way mark for Toady's "Twenty years or so" prediction, and lord knows projects (especially Toady's) tend to run long. This game could literally be left as is and have been a good, solid investment of his time. Hell the current version is at only 34% in "100 core elements" completion terms. And it's often assumed he will do this till the day he dies (where he states he will have it released open source, though not if foul play was suspected). And if nothing else we know Toady doesn't stand for "good enough", he stands for "let's add some more and see what that does".
Summed up, DF isn't ending for a long time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 05:45:10 pm »

Graphics overhaul? Nah, just find a tileset or graphics set, there are many out there.

Interface overhaul? Aside from a few tweaks here and there, it doesn't need an interface overhaul at this time.

As for it turning into beta, what milestone should we use for that?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 06:47:21 pm »

Graphics overhaul? Nah, just find a tileset or graphics set, there are many out there.

Interface overhaul? Aside from a few tweaks here and there, it doesn't need an interface overhaul at this time.

You misunderstand what I mean by graphics overhaul.

The only graphics overhaul I support is the one near the top of the eternal suggestions voting page.

It's not about having an OFFICIAL better graphics. They don't want the game to have an alternative to the current ASCII (though one does suggest ASCIII which uses blocks rather than tiles, but it's weird and I'm not sure that's workable).

The idea behind it is that it should make customization far more easier for people. So that you could, for example, have a separate tile for every single type of item period. I think the way it was going to go was

Weapon > Sword > Short Sword > Obsidian Short sword

So if you didn't include the graphic specifically in your custom tile set, it would default a stage upwards. But otherwise you could have far more variety of tiles.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 02:13:25 am »

The idea behind it is that it should make customization far more easier for people. So that you could, for example, have a separate tile for every single type of item period. I think the way it was going to go was

Weapon > Sword > Short Sword > Obsidian Short sword

So if you didn't include the graphic specifically in your custom tile set, it would default a stage upwards. But otherwise you could have far more variety of tiles.
Seems like this ought to be simple enough....
Code: [Select]
tile_weapons.txt

[OBJECT:TILESET]

[TILESET:weapons.png]
  [TILE:ITEM_WEAPON:0:0]
  [TILE:ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:1:0]
  [TILE:ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN:2:0]
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:41 am »

While the definition has watered down over the years, beta used to mean feature complete, but needs bug checking. Therefore, DF 1.00 will mark the end of the alpha.

On a side note, the problem with implementing a graphics/UI API at this time is that it will break after every release.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 04:44:56 am »

While the definition has watered down over the years, beta used to mean feature complete, but needs bug checking. Therefore, DF 1.00 will mark the end of the alpha.

On a side note, the problem with implementing a graphics/UI API at this time is that it will break after every release.
Why would it?

If it's set up to be moddable UI like the tilesets and mods are now?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 04:46:03 am »

Nah, not full graphics support such as the one Verylon is talking about. Do creature graphics break every update?

Well, yeah, a bit, but only 0.34.01 really caused any issues.

Why would it?

If it's set up to be moddable UI like the tilesets and mods are now?

The UI is a much more difficult beast to set up moddability for than graphics.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 02:11:53 am »

I always thought beta meant feature complete and internal qa (aka alpha) testing complete.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 04:21:51 am »

So. I've been reading through this: http://www.bay12games.com/armok/manual.html#Persistence

It seems like now that history is moving forward, quite a few of the goals on that list might actually be possible to achieve even in fortress mode?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 03:06:00 am »

Sorry for the necro-double post guys.

But I thought this was worth posting:
http://boards.4chan.org/vg/res/56061586#p56066615

I have no idea if it's actually Toady or just a troll, but thought it might be relevant.

I'm working on moving some dialouge around and making sure your quest targets work with the new framework.

The update will be pushed out sometime this month, he he he

Soooo... if this is legit are we getting a christmas present!?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 04:16:59 am »

Based on what they're replying to and what they're saying in relation to the devlog, it just seems too incongruous to actually be Toady promising a release. Honestly, I'd be surprised if the update isn't in March at this point.

That's OK though. Hardcore DF players don't play DF: they wait for updates.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 04:45:25 am »

1. that's anon on /vg/

2. that's anon on /vg/

3. why would he announce that on /vg/ and not on the site

4. that's a caricature of Toady. Using recent devlogs and ending with "he he he"?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4