Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New Version Soonish?  (Read 5880 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: New Version Soonish?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 01:37:53 pm »

Now if only they could make adventure mode combat easier.
Or is that what you meant by complete combat overhaul?

Reaction moments, different kinds of attack per attack (a "wild" slash or a "precise" slash), combat/movement speed no longer the same thing, blunt weapons can now "pulp" organs (basically, completely rearranging them), proper dual-wielding (exactly as possible as in real-life), hydras heads are now independent, prepare and recover times for attacks.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:53:05 am »

So yeah, basically it's harder. You can't dodge multiple opponents quite as easily anymore if I recall, hydras are probably mega-beasts now (instead of just hard to finish off), you've gotta accelerate to run away & the like, but you can do cool crap like catching fists. (Arrows?)

Just the combat overhaul in itself is a HUGE change.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:56:56 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:24 am »

Blunt weapons starting to matter is probably my favorite. Now crusading clerics bashing undead with maces doesn't get them eaten. :3

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:05 am »

Pah, that's the smallest of the changes! I can't decide if I like the speed/combat split or the changes to attacking/dual-wielding most.

Or the plethora of other fucking AWESOME changes that're sitting there on toady's computer waiting for their birth into the world. Like climbing & jumping. Or sneaking with vision cones. Or a non-static post-gen world.

-I'm kinda worried this'll be the beginning of the end- the game's gonna be in a condition where it's, well, feeling good enough to walk away from. Or at least that's my fear. (Oh noes the game's too good!)

-also, inb4 all-time donation record on the month of this next release.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:23:38 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

Blunt weapons starting to matter is probably my favorite. Now crusading clerics bashing undead with maces doesn't get them eaten. :3
Pah, that's the smallest of the changes! I can't decide if I like the speed/combat split or the changes to attacking/dual-wielding most.

From the perspective of someone wanting to play as a hammer or mace weilding cleric, it's a big deal.

Really though, it's rolled in with the rest of the combat changes.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 01:39:16 pm »

I wonder if the movement overhaul will affect Dwarf Mode...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »

IIRC, yes. Though I'm hazy on to what degree- things like dwarves deciding to path around a gap by shimmying along the wall was discussed, and I suspect dwarves deciding whether to sprint vs jog down hallways would have been mentioned as well.

I'm pretty sure they do have the ability to climb & jump, (as do invaders), but I would not trust me as a source.
Badges of honor

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 06:50:08 pm »

Well, there's going to be HUGE differences in invade pathing IIRC. Toady's mentioned them starting to avoid paths they've previously seen to be trapped. So the next siege will try and find an alternate route to your grinder.
But wait, there's more! He's mentioned things like them building ramps to try to get into your fort, building bridges across water, scaling your walls with some form of climbing mechanics... he even mentioned them digging into your forts, although he said that could be turned off in the init.

Basically the entire design of fort security will have to change. It will be a lot harder to turtle in the future; archery towers and hordes of well-trained dwarfs will be increasingly necessary.
Thankfully he's also hinted that the new AI makes the goblins a tad more cowardly.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »

But wait, there's more! He's mentioned things like them building ramps to try to get into your fort, building bridges across water, scaling your walls with some form of climbing mechanics... he even mentioned them digging into your forts, although he said that could be turned off in the init.

This will be glorious.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 06:53:28 pm »

Well, there's going to be HUGE differences in invade pathing IIRC. Toady's mentioned them starting to avoid paths they've previously seen to be trapped. So the next siege will try and find an alternate route to your grinder.

Basically the entire design of fort security will have to change. It will be a lot harder to turtle in the future; archery towers and hordes of well-trained dwarfs will be increasingly necessary.
Thankfully he's also hinted that the new AI makes the goblins a tad more cowardly.

1. That first part is true in 0.34.11.
2. That's for much later, not this update.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »

We'll have to see how much climbing affects fort defenses, like if you removed the ramps around the base of the mountain that your fort is in, invaders will just climb up to the next level.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 03:07:13 am »

You'll have to make & smooth stone walls.
Badges of honor

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 06:25:45 pm »

-I'm kinda worried this'll be the beginning of the end- the game's gonna be in a condition where it's, well, feeling good enough to walk away from. Or at least that's my fear. (Oh noes the game's too good!)
We haven'y even gotten to to half-way mark for Toady's "Twenty years or so" prediction, and lord knows projects (especially Toady's) tend to run long. This game could literally be left as is and have been a good, solid investment of his time. Hell the current version is at only 34% in "100 core elements" completion terms. And it's often assumed he will do this till the day he dies (where he states he will have it released open source, though not if foul play was suspected). And if nothing else we know Toady doesn't stand for "good enough", he stands for "let's add some more and see what that does".

Also I know the mastermind behind the dwarven checkerboard, ThatAussieGuy, has already thought out a solution to any hypothetical mining goblins. You can read it here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 08:36:53 pm »

A month ago I thought the new version might be released by now. Now I suspect it'll be out in February. Let's see how that prediction turns out, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What I really want to do is turn a peasant alive at the birth of a world into a necromancer who records the histories of various family lines for a millennium. I've sort of lost interest in the murder/death/kill aspects in adventuring and dwarfing, as the underlying social framework of DF world gen is about to get a lot more interesting as it starts moving.

All great things take time. *Starts powerleveling Patience.*
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:02 pm »

All great things take time. *Starts powerleveling Patience.*

That is the very definition of grinding.
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4