Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Basic moderator needed?  (Read 4690 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Basic moderator needed?
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:38 pm »

So, somebody said there were administrative duties that might be convenient to have somebody handle here, and I have no idea what goes on in the mafia board, especially at night, so I thought I'd open it up for a discussion.  Normally I don't like to pass along moderator duties, for a variety of reasons, but this is a particular board with its own concerns.  Does anybody have issues with having a moderator occasionally change stickies and delete certain threads or posts?  It's not exactly clear to me which powers are needed at this point, but it wouldn't involve the ability to hand out warnings, bans or anything overly drastic.

Of course, even with just the deletion power, there can be problems.  A moderator with board experience and various judicious qualities needs to be selected.  Mephansteras has agreed to take up the responsibility if it isn't an issue for anybody.  Not knowing what's going on in here, I thought I'd open it up for discussion before I make any decisions.  It would also be useful to know what the moderator should be able to do, since the forum confronts me with check boxes upon check boxes.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Basic moderator needed?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »

So, I was the one that brought this to the attention of Toady One. I believe that a moderator, while not direly needed, will sufficiently speed up the board and ease the load off of Toady One.

With a moderator, we can:
-Sticky on-going games or discussions. Right now, we could have the Game Threshold Discussion thread stickied, along with the Notable Games. The only reason this isn't necessary is because of the New Player's Guidelines that's stickied and the Grand Link Station, but these were started by players that tend to not update all too fast or even at all.
-Lock/delete thread that are spam or unfillable games, and would allow for smoother transition of open games. This can allow us to have a couple guidelines and even allow less experienced mods to have more chances to make games. I know I'm guilty of this along with Meph, as we're the two main moderators of games, but we tend to hog the limelight with our games, and with us making games, we sort of crowd out the less experienced mods.
-Avoid bugging Toady or ThreeToe with stickies. I'm sure they don't mind, but it's still time out of their day on a relatively small issue.

Honestly, I'm okay with Meph being a mod, but if anyone has issues with it, speak up now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:38:11 am »

I'm fully ok and agree with Meph being a Mod of this board. He has experience and has quite the years in experience with handling everyone--and their...tempers. :)

That, and perhaps linking to working tools which are recommended for the board--like the lurkertracker Think0028 or zombie urist has made?

The first statement, I fully agree on. Stickies seem to attract more attention than the roving games we have active. Perhaps the occasional sticky for the running Beginner's Mafia until its ready to go, perhaps?

Anyway, my point is: Meph seems like a good choice and I'm fully supporting it.

You did notify Meph beforehand, right?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:27 am »

I'm not opposed to a dedicated moderator but I don't see the need for one either.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:04:02 am »

Though I'm wondering--what strain does 'dead' threads give to the forum at large? More..space allotted for their presence? [This is partly why I see a Mod needed here.]

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:23:17 am »

If he's cool with it then I see no reason that he shouldn't be. Stickied on-going games would speed up browsing. I vote "Yes" on issue "This One"
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:25 am »

Sticky powers and lock/unlock powers would be useful.  It would be good to keep the sticky threads in the hands of people who can actively update them  I don't see much need for any other powers.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:22 am »

Sticky and lock/unlock power is probably all that is needed.

Meph is a great choice, and his name came to mind as soon as I saw the thread title.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:38:00 am »

Anyway, my point is: Meph seems like a good choice and I'm fully supporting it.

You did notify Meph beforehand, right?
Yes, Meph knows. If he wasn't okay with it, this would be silly.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:02 am »

Now Meph is meta-modding. :O

Soon he will be modding my life...

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:57:51 am »

I have no problems with Meph being a moderator.  If everyone thinks that would be helpful, then sure.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:08 am »

Yeah, I was asked beforehand. :)

I think sticky/unsticky is probably the most useful ability.

The ability to delete threads is...generally unnecessary. But I guess if we start getting spam threads in here it'd be nice to get rid of them without burdening Toady with them. I'm less concerned with dead games, especially since I'm not sure how happy the forum is with deleting threads in general.

Not sure how useful being able to delete posts would be. I can see it coming up if we get some ugly fights or something along those lines that need clearing out, but probably isn't necessary. Could also come in handy if someone posts something game breaking, but then I'd have to know about it and delete it before too many people see for that to actually be helpful. Certainly not an ability I'd expect to use often.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 11:22:58 am »

Definitely allowing someone here to sticky/unsticky important threads seems like a very good idea: it would help keep things tidy and make sure whatever informative threads we have stickied are most up to date.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:49 pm »

I see no need in deleting threads.  Just lock them and they'll fall off naturally- I see dead games as useful for historical purposes.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:12 pm »

All hail Mephansteras.
Pages: [1] 2 3