Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Help DF Player with Hauling BS Thread  (Read 871 times)

NagaPrince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Another Help DF Player with Hauling BS Thread
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:15:17 am »

I've read in Google search dozens after dozens of threads upon people having hauling issues, with people helping them in the Mantis bug website and here, but they're not helping me, and I just don't get it. So I registered to post, and I love this community by the way.

I have wood outside, not being hauled sometime through the duration of my game, including stones several Z layers below my subterranean areas below the surface. Mutilated corpses as well aren't being picked up due to a Wolverine enjoying seven bunnies for snack. All my dwarves are currently idle besides the occasional job.

1. I made multiple times new stockpiles over old ones. I even went to S settings and checked it, also I don't understand why it seems like it "resets" when I visit the custom settings page, but whatever.

2. I checked O, and I set everything including refuse to yes, and it is yes when it states on the tab "Ignore X". Either way, I went back and forth with the settings to no avail.

3. To cover myself, I began giving stockpiles Wheelbarrows, after sometime the lack of hauling ceased for no apparent reason. I have two at my wood one on the surface, still no hauling...

4. There is currently NO Jobs whatsoever going on, for a while to boot.

5. Everything in Dwarf Therapist is checked for Hauling.

6. ALL stockpiles are accepting from anywhere, right now it is currently saying: "Will take from links only".

I surrounded my surface entrance with walls and fortifications, five doors, that are set as Tightly Closed, and its always by default Internal which I have no idea what that means, but I guess I'll find out at the eventual Goblin invasion. Though carpenters regardless go for the wood outside since there is nothing at the stockpiles... I check what the stockpiles are currently allowing on them, but its correct.

In the O screen again, everything is currently saying, "Ignore X", which means Yes, the x says "Announce some job cancellations", which means Yes to if I'm correct.

There is no TSK next to the old and new logs, they're not tagged for dumping and for being forbidden either.

Someone please help me, I've been at this for like 2-3 hours and I would really hate to dump this game for the tedious of BS, and I don't feel like playing anything else right now because I'm weird.  Please, thank you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Another Help DF Player with Hauling BS Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:48:43 am »

Not entirely sure what the problem might be...  The only thing I can think of off hand is that if you have a wheelbarrow assigned to a stockpile, then dwarves will refuse to haul items by hand to that pile, and will only ever use the wheelbarrow.  So producing wheelbarrows or changing your stockpile settings may work.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 02:37:47 am »

Get rid of all your stockpiles that have wood. Erase them.

Make a new stockpile big enough for all the wood inside and outside. Set wheelbarrows to zero. You don't need wheelbarrows to haul wood, they are for heavy items like stone. If you assign a wheelbarrow, you only create 1 haul per wheelbarrow.

You shouldn't need to change standing orders to haul wood from outside.

Do not change any of the link settings for the stockpile. The ones you post about that say "will take from links only" are not going to generate any hauling jobs until you assign another stockpile or workshop to it.

Make sure you have a clear path from the stockpile to the outside. If there is no hauling, it's a path issue. Make a stockpile closer to your entrance or tear down the doors.

Internal doors just mean that when you designate the room, the door won't block the designation..Like if you want a closet or something and you don't want the flow to stop at the door.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:12:41 am »

to check pathing, try building a wall on several places, browsing through the building materials. If on the surface the only available material is wood, somewhere between the surface and wherever stones are a staircase or ramp is broken. Similarly, down in the mines, if you can't select the wood that is on the surface you also know there's a broken path. Repeat on various levels to find out where exactly and fix it.

Pathing is a very common early (and not so early) error.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:02:10 am »

It sounds like you got practically all hauling options backwards:

In the orders list, _current_ settings are displayed. To collect items, the orders options should all read "Dwarves gather [wood/food/stone...]".

The "a" option on stockpiles should be set so they actually display the text "accepts from everywhere". This is absolutely vital when trying to collect cut timber and mined stone. If a stockpile displays "accepts items from links only", only items from links, i.e. linked workshops and stockpiles will go there, never loose items.

This part of the interface can easily be misinterpreted, since some of the dialogue options tell you what happens when you press the key (edit stockpile settings, assign a job, activate a pump, set a profile), while others show the current setting of an option that _will go away_ when you press the key (standing orders, link exclusiveness of stockpiles...).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:47:45 am by Larix »

NagaPrince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 12:31:40 pm »

Okay I listened to everyone's advice but it is still not working. Stones and Wood aren't being hauled whatsoever guys. Thanks for responding to.

1. I took off ALL wheelbarrows

2. I erased the wood stockpiles, didn't touch the links, made them big, made multiple to. I don't see how it could be a path issue, what could be blocking it? I'm confused on that front.

3. I have access to log walls down in the deepest Z layers I dug in, and on the surface as well. If I produced as you described, I see all building materials available when I lay the wall designations.

4. Now Larix I got them all stating as you have it, "Dwarves Gather Wood", "Take From Anywhere", I flipped this on and off before I realized I wasn't aware of how it indicated "yes", but anyway now it doesn't do anything still. Got mass amount of wood on the surface, no hauling.

I'm absolutely lost on this, I just don't get it. Should I post screenshots or my game save? Its amazing how in DF the littlest things have the most impact. And while my dwarves with lightning speed haul wood back to the workshops, it would be so much better if they didn't need to.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 01:35:43 pm »

If it says "dwarves haul wood" that's the CURRENTLY ACTIVE option that they perform.

Try generating a new world and seeing if it happens on another embark.

NagaPrince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:22:47 pm »

If it says "dwarves haul wood" that's the CURRENTLY ACTIVE option that they perform.

Try generating a new world and seeing if it happens on another embark.

Understood.

I did as you asked, and they're still not doing it. Nobodies hauling wood, with a designated stockpile nearby.

So, is it my installation? Because I don't understand why it would happen midgame in an earlier embark. Really stupid if I have to start all over...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »

There are two things (well, one since they are both about burrows) which nobody has mentioned yet, have you checked to see if there are burrow conflicts? such as the corpses being outside burrows. Also, while this isn't likely to be the cause, did you forget to change the civillian alert?

NagaPrince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »

There are two things (well, one since they are both about burrows) which nobody has mentioned yet, have you checked to see if there are burrow conflicts? such as the corpses being outside burrows. Also, while this isn't likely to be the cause, did you forget to change the civillian alert?

I don't have any burrows on my current save and this testing one, and never touched the civilian alert section either, so its default. Is there possibly anything else I'm missing? This game can't be that complex.

NagaPrince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »

Hold on,

With my testing embark, I set the first stockpile I made, exclusively wood, to have Enabled for all categories. And they started hauling everything to it including the wood.

So how come wood-only stockpiles of mine aren't having wood lumped on them?

Am I smoking crack?

*EDIT* I found out my issue. When I don't have Additional Options enabled, they won't collect wood, but it is when its on. I haven't tried other stockpiles yet, but I assume it will be the same.

Don't get it lol...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:01:33 pm by NagaPrince »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 02:57:09 pm »

The only times that I've had problems with wood hauling is either when I had the wood forbidden or accidentially set the Orders to ignore wood.

If you have the orders set to show all job cancellations, are there any cancellations going on? I set the cancellation notifications to show most job cancellations, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between some and most.

You probably should post screenshots, but posting up the gamesave through DFFD would probably help better here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:00:07 pm by smjjames »

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 03:18:30 pm »

Well, I just encountered this.

I started a new embark, dug out a couple of rooms, set up my supply stockrooms. When I set the wood stockpile, no hauling jobs were allocated. I started cutting trees, and those didn't get hauled either.
Made different stockpiles, deleted and remade the original stockpile, all nothing.

I marked the wood for dumping, nothing. Set orders to gather refuse from outside, nothing.

I built the carpenters shop and set for beds, they started grabbing wood.

I undumped the wood, nothing. I redumped the wood, and they started dumping in the garbage zone. I reclaimed all the wood marked for dumping, and they started hauling.

I've never had any issues before with wood hauling. Designate the zone, they haul. Period.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:20:39 pm by xcorps »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 03:57:33 pm »

you can always upload it on the dffd to let someone else look at it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.