Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Need an easy way to Train Doctors  (Read 5551 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Need an easy way to Train Doctors
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

I've raised two soldiers to 'doesn't care about anything any more' through controlled injuries, using uniforms with everything but gauntlets. Initially I had them sparring over a drop, but that was rather slow.
1. Dwarves need to be sparring first, and they need to pick a dodge action.
2. Dwarves who cannot grasp will not spar.
3. Dwarves need to be good at dodging before they dodge effectively, otherwise they'll just stand there being lightly tapped.
4. The squad was made up of one well-trained leader and a couple of newbies. The leader would dodge, fall, run back up the stairs, and dodge again as soon as he was within striking range of the newbie. He was in full armour, to better train whoever wasn't in the hospital, so this didn't achieve much.

Slightly more effective was stationing the dwarf over a retracting bridge on the ground. Most of the time they'd just get shunted around, but with each injury attempt coming every 100 ticks it wasn't long before something went crunch. Problem here was that if the dwarf wasn't thrown off the bridge completely or didn't walk a few steps before passing out, any other dwarf recovering them was exposed to the bridge. It wasn't a very controlled setup anyway -- just a 7x7 bridge out in the open.

My next attempt will combine the two, stationing the dwarf on a bridge surrounded by a drop. 2 z-levels onto cobaltite breaks exposed wrists fairly well, and will occasionally break ankles through steel boots. I don't like broken ankles, especially when the dwarf has two broken wrists and can't hold a crutch.

Quick edit: I've just remembered that I've modded the raws to make skulls a lot larger compared to brains. This cuts down on skulls being jammed through brains, but the upper spine nervous tissue is still rather vulnerable. Probably I'd have seen some broken necks if the fall were lethal enough to kill unmodded dwarves, but I don't think I've even seen bruising of the nervous tissue.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:03:47 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]