Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Roll to go to wizard school  (Read 23998 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to go to wizard school
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

So, to clarify, both being good at a specific class of magic and being good at dueling will increase one's ability in combat?
Yes. It's a bit like the difference between a trained soldier and someone who goes down to a firing range twice a month. Arcane theory helps too, but it's not nearly as important.

Meanwhile, her father goes over to the teacher, keeping a concerned eye on Angel.
"Are these typical prices for such wands? It's...a bit steep, don't you think?"
"Hmm, no these are unusually expensive." The teacher looks at the nearest wand thoughtfully before speaking again. "I might know someone better, if he's still around here. Former student."

The one that adds to the studying, thank you. Then that'll be all, unless I can do more stuff for the rest of the day.
After thinking for a bit on how studying and history being easier will work, I've decided that I'll just make the history class average out to not needing study. School starts in a week, and you won't really have time to learn enough to test out of History I.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2013, 08:19:05 pm »

Bull picks out a large, heavy club made out of warped blackwood, with an solid blue adamantium core and a copper studded leather grip. It looks more like a weapon than a magical item...he also got a book written by his favorite Author, Arl Ington-'Magic Manifestation for Malodorous Malcontents'

Action: Buy a Fine Foci (+2 Dueling and +1 Abjuration~If Dueling was a typo, +2 Abjuration and +1 Transfiguration) and a book on Dueling
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:14 pm »

Meanwhile, her father goes over to the teacher, keeping a concerned eye on Angel.
"Are these typical prices for such wands? It's...a bit steep, don't you think?"
"Hmm, no these are unusually expensive." The teacher looks at the nearest wand thoughtfully before speaking again. "I might know someone better, if he's still around here. Former student."
Angel's father, suppressing feelings of irritation, nods. "I would appreciate that very much. Come, Angel."
"But Dad--"
"The man clearly isn't interested in talking to you. We're going somewhere with less pricey wands."

Check out this other wand shop.
Buy books for Abjuration, Conjuration, Magical Theory, Potions, and Runes. (-5 Wealth)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:17 pm »

Joey finds a glove with designs that he finds interest. Of course, his parents agree to buy it for him. His parents then decide to make sure they have purchases all the necessary textbooks for Joey to make it through the school year.

Purchase dedicated foci (+3 abjuration) and textbooks for all classes (-10ish wealth)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:52 pm »

buy a textbook of study abjuration and arcane theory. Regular abjuration wand get.

((Im assuming regular wands are free because they have no listed price?))
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:51:03 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2013, 12:00:11 am »

Well, buy a book on Arcane Theory, maybe? If I can get it for 1 wealth, that is. Also, look for stationery. If there is a store for that, get some supplies for writing and so forth.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:48 am »

Derry walks into the foci shop and chooses a fine rosary focus that would strengthen Abjuration, Transfiguration and Conjuration before pausing for a thought.
"Sir, do you do bulk discounts?"

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:28 am »

Tyson gawked at the expensive book sets. Getting books could cost him his entire allowance! Oh well, it's not like they won't teach it in school. Instead, Tyson heard about the foci store that the other students found. That would probably be worth his hard-earned cash. He brings his mom over to the shop, dragging her by the arms.

Look for a fine foci. Ask if it's possible to tattoo a foci onto my hands, but if it isn't possible look for a foci in the shape of a ring or wristband.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2013, 10:40:33 am »

You know, these sort of "Thinking" RTD's don't work with me. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do, so just...Have my character tag along with someone whenever its his turn.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2013, 03:20:44 pm »

((Im assuming regular wands are free because they have no listed price?))
Basic school supplies are paid for by either the school or your parents.

"Sir, do you do bulk discounts?"
"Bulk discounts are only available for governmental agencies."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »

"Fine, I'll just take this then."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2013, 06:20:56 pm »

Mini-update!

{2} - At Mr. Carlson's request, the teacher leads anyone choosing to follow outside of the wand shop. "He's not really a wand merchant, more of a pawn shop owner. He usually carries a quantity of new wands."
The group arrives at the new store. The merchant happily greets the chaperone, but regretfully states that most of his wands have already been purchased, and he won't be getting a new shipment in for a few months. {1} - He only has two second-hand wands. They look very well used, and weren't top-tier when new.
"Hmm, it was worth a try. Let's see," He pulls out a leaflet listing the stores in the mall ".. I don't think you can buy wands from anyone else here legally, and couldn't begin to point you to shady dealers," he spends a few seconds looking at his thumb, which is over only a single store near the south-west corner, on the bottom floor, the leaflet angled such that it can easily be seen, "not that I would advise trying such a thing in the first place. Can't be too careful with the quality of your children's first wand .. This is the only major market for magical goods in the state, and school would have started by the time I finished cutting through the red-tape to take us to the Massachusetts community." He looks to the muggles' parents before continuing, "Mail-order wands aren't a good plan at all, trust me there. I'll see about leveraging the school to lower their prices for students, but that will take time. I don't think there's much else I can do." He shrugs slightly.

Tyson's shopkeeper gives him a hard look when he asks about getting magical foci tattooed on his hands.
"No, kid. Ignoring the fact that you're still growing, which would ruin them, I have a friend who had the same idea. He goes by 'No-Hand Ronny' these days."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2013, 07:13:16 pm »

"Mmm... I think that's it, Dad. I've already spent a lot on school stuff... I think I'll  save for later! Thank you so much, Dad, you're the best." Reyna smiled at her dad.

"It's near your birthday, well, at least close enough for it to count," Reyna's dad laughed.

"Hey Dad, do you think I should meet some other kids who are going to school with me?"

Reyna's dad observed the area before agreeing. "Sure. Just don't go too far, okay?"

"Okay!"

Meet other kids from the school.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:35:22 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2013, 07:30:34 pm »

"Yikes."

The idea of his hands being blown apart wasn't pleasant for him, or his mother.

"My son will just have a regular one then," his mother says.

"A one like a glove, if you have it!"
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2013, 10:21:29 pm »

Angel's father glowers a bit at the teacher.
"So, they don't have very good wands here after all?"

In addition to these books:
Buy books for Abjuration, Conjuration, Magical Theory, Potions, and Runes. (-5 Wealth)
Buy a Fine Wand (+1 Abjuration, Conjuration, [Mind Arts/Divination/Illusions]) and a Specialized Focus (Ring, +3 Transfiguration) (-9 Wealth)

After buying a fine general-purpose wand and a specialized ring to make up the slack, Angel's father bought some miscellaneous school supplies and prepared to leave.
"I wanna stay so I can talk to these other kids! I'm going to school with them, aren't I?"
Angel's father cast a disapproving glance at them. He didn't approve of these people, but he couldn't think of a counter-argument.
"...Fine." He kept watching her.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17