Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Roll to go to wizard school  (Read 24009 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to go to wizard school
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2013, 03:37:27 pm »

I dropped Runes. So, is it theoretically possible that if this goes on long enough that we're able to go through a second semester or year of different classes, if I wanted to pick up Runes for example?

Also, GWG, I'm pretty sure you start with a wand, but I guess that stores sell different power-types of wands.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2013, 03:39:22 pm »

Six classes is possible, but a difficult schedule, and you probably won't have much time to learn extra spells or practice those taught in class.
Even with one of them being history?
Fine, drop Conjuration, then.

I'm not writing up a complete list of every shop in the mall. Spawn shops by looking for one. ("I look for a pet store. I need a magical snake.")
Extra books will give you a bonus to studying or trying to learn spells not taught in class. Getting the books from the library will require a roll. A wand will give you a bonus to certain spells. You could buy an expanded set of potion ingredients, better tools for certain classes, a pet, or any number of mysterious objects you might expect to find in a magical mall.
Alright. Hm.
"C'mon, Dad, let's go get a wand!"
Look for a wand store. Wands are important, right?

Oh and do we NEED a wand? Or can we use some other foci, different only for flavours sake? Cos I really like the idea of using a rosary.
...Isn't the Catholic church against magic and sorcery and stuff?
It's a focus. Not a belief system.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)

---
The Trollwit family. Unfortunately named, but it's something they wear with pride-their most ancient paragons were a tribe of half-troll magicians, and indeed many of their current generation have a lingering bloodline connection. It tends to make them tough, but stupid-honest, but slow. They are not entirely bad hearted, but they are easy to manipulate...for this reason, most of their family has a reputation as the sort of hapless bodyguards that take the shots for larger than life folks. Bull's father took a deadly Witheraus Maximus Curse to the head for the Hero Wizardess Clairborne as she dueled Admagicko the Demon, for example-which by and by led to her victory. He might have been withered maximum for life, but he went down in the family books as a great hero himself, if not to the world.

It's really all they can hope for.

Bull stomps up behind Derry, grunting as was his lot-ever since they were kids, the two had been a mean pair, hedging out the world and protecting one another-a muggle born and a magic oaf. Brains and brawn, and not much confusion as to which was which.

Bull's father, Stomp, wanders behind-sadly still withered, his wits dulled-a taint he passed onto his son.

"...S'up, O'Driscoll. Where we wanna be? Maybe get a wand or a focus? I got some money if you're short..." He said a bit shyly. He knew his friend was not exactly the moneyed type, and didn't like to be reminded.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:45:34 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 03:46:58 pm »

"It's fine, Bull. I'll probably wring some more out of that stipend thing if I need it. But yeah, a wand or something would be good."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »

Bull waits for Derry to choose a direction and follows him, as usual.

Action: Let's go look for some wands/focuses
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »

I was going to mention this a few posts ago, on the Connections skill: If you have an unused Connections skill, you may use it on a new contact to get a significant relations boost. This should work on all but the most powerful people. It will work on a teacher, the leader of the magic police squad chasing you, the judge of your murder case, etc.

I dropped Runes. So, is it theoretically possible that if this goes on long enough that we're able to go through a second semester or year of different classes, if I wanted to pick up Runes for example?
Spoken like someone who's never been in one of my games!  :P
Yes, theoretically possible.

May drop a class then. Probably Divination.

Oh and do we NEED a wand? Or can we use some other foci, different only for flavours sake? Cos I really like the idea of using a rosary.
You may use something other than a wand.

Six classes is possible, but a difficult schedule, and you probably won't have much time to learn extra spells or practice those taught in class.
Even with one of them being history?
Fine, drop Conjuration, then.
History's about half the work of another class.

{4} - Only officially!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 03:52:01 pm »

How hard would it be to talk random people into giving me money?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »

Yes, I am rather new to the RTD community compared to many of the fellows here, haha.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

How hard would it be to talk random people into giving me money?

((You mean bully them into giving us money? :P ))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »

[/quote]
Mind if I ask why a rosary?

I was going to mention this a few posts ago, on the Connections skill: If you have an unused Connections skill, you may use it on a new contact to get a significant relations boost. This should work on all but the most powerful people. It will work on a teacher, the leader of the magic police squad chasing you, the judge of your murder case, etc.
...What?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 03:56:05 pm »

[/quote]
Because it's as close as I'm gonna get to a magical knuckleduster. And the idea of casting spells with a rosary just seems really cool for some reason. Might be my current sleep dep level though.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »

...What?
The Connections skill is a single-use "this person is my friend/family and always has been" card, but can only be used for the first two interactions with any one person.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »

Because it's as close as I'm gonna get to a magical knuckleduster. And the idea of casting spells with a rosary just seems really cool for some reason. Might be my current sleep dep level though.
Sleep-dep probably explains the formatting. I've been there; it'll get worse if you don't sleep. You are getting very sleepy....sleepy....now go into your bed, close your eyes, and wait it's morning where you are.
On a serious note: I'm having trouble seeing a rosary used as knuckledusters. You'd probably be better off sharpening your wand.

...What?
The Connections skill is a single-use "this person is my friend/family and always has been" card, but can only be used for the first two interactions with any one person.
Ah. I think I understand.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 04:23:36 pm »

Sleep-dep probably explains the formatting. I've been there; it'll get worse if you don't sleep. You are getting very sleepy....sleepy....now go into your bed, close your eyes, and wait it's morning where you are.
On a serious note: I'm having trouble seeing a rosary used as knuckledusters. You'd probably be better off sharpening your wand.
I can. Word to the wise, don't insult someone's religion while they're using prayer beads. They hirt like a bitch.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »

So, if we take 4 instead of 5 classes, we can be more focused in the classes we pick?

To begin with, my character will go shopping for magical foci (if possible, gloves, so I can have a magical duel with exaggerated hand gestures), and maybe look at some potions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17