Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Roll to go to wizard school  (Read 24014 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to go to wizard school
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »

The school is providing a stipend for the poor (Can't have uneducated magic-types running amok), while the middle-class have to buy everything themselves. The wealth is your personal allowance for the year, and will be used to either buy bonuses shortly, or saved to use during the year.

Wealth is linear, as much fun as it would be to have the rich buy a full set of maximum quality everything in the shopping segment for everyone who swears fealty.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 12:34:40 pm »

Wouldn't mind being sent to the Mall thing with Dwarmin and anyone who chose the 'Poor' section.
No, because 7 out of 8 player prefer poverty over being middle-class. Who knew?

Character sheets have been typed up. Caerwyn's missing a skill, which will be put into a new focus category if he doesn't speak up. Cheesecake's missing two skills, which will be put into broad media knowledge and musicality if he doesn't speak up. Dwarmin got confused by my nearly stream-of-thought instructions and picked traits instead of skills. If he doesn't correct it, I'm giving him bullying, focus in magic, and horrible person.

Yeah, do those changes
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 02:04:31 pm »

Quote from: Caerwyn
I have to ask: Do we get any description on what traits do? A la, poor person traits, or Generic Traits? What type of Zealotry would Zealous be? Devoted to a certain god? Devoted to an object? A person? What does it do? What bonuses does "Pack Leader" give?
Zealotry would have given a bonus with your main goal (chosen later). Pack Leader comes from something akin to leading a group of urchins, and will give a bonus to naturally taking the lead in a group of friends (and getting more for your group). Leadership is more about effectively giving orders.

Character sheets!

Spoiler: Joey(Aattss) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyson(Cheesecake) (click to show/hide)
Insufficient muggle traits. GM skill picks: Broad media knowledge, Musicality.

GM skill Pick: Focus in a new skill

Spoiler: Clair Keter(Scapheap) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bull Trollwit(Dwarmin) (click to show/hide)

Shopping trip start!
It might be handy to save some generic wealth units for later. Your personal wealth is 'extra,' and the baseline equipment will be bought by your parents. It is assumed that you already squeezed your parents of all the money they will give you for the year.
You may end this shopping trip at any time, automatically buying any base requirements you're missing and going home.

Countless visit Manhattan Mall every year. Barely a block away, under an innocuous office building owned by magicians, lies the entrance to the Mystical Emporium, the foremost mall for the magically inclined in the state of New York. If it's magical and exists, someone here will sell it.

August 3rd shopping group:
Joey
Grundulf Byrdin
Marcus Crassius Alexander Caesar
Reyna Hirso
Clair Keter

It is mid-morning when Joey and his parents teleport into the arrival lounge of the Emporium. They promptly walk out out and towards their first destination, being well acquainted with this trip.

Reyna teleports in next, along with her father. She drags him out, excited to get to shopping.

Grundulf Byrdin arrives by teleporting in with his father. He draws some strange looks, which his dad seems to be greatly enjoying. It takes a few moments for the room to stop spinning.

Marcus and his mother teleport in just after. There's some kid just ahead of you with a staff and fake beard.

Morning is half over when Clair and her mother finally arrive. Traffic was horrible, and they eventually had to ask a receptionist for help finding the hidden stairway, after waiting for the lobby to clear. She chuckled good-naturedly, and said that someone always had trouble finding it. She wishes Clair good luck.

August 4th shopping group: ((Those dice, man. I did not intend for a large group of muggles to go in on the same day. Mr. Trollwit's here with Derry.))
Angel Beatrice Carlson
Tyson
Heywood D. Monroe
Bull Trollwit
Derry O'Driscoll

A particularly jolly teacher enters in through the stairs, leading Angel, Tyson, Heywood, Derry, and Bull, as well as one parent each. "You see, The Mystical Emporium was only moved here about thirty-one years ago. In 1981, the muggles decided to demolish the building over the Aetharial Vale. It had been notoriously crowded, so Governance decided it would be best to move to a new area, oh yes. Now, where shall we start? Wands are always popular, and-"

"No, we just use muggle cash. It's more convenient that way, see?"

Note: You will be expected to sign up for 4-5 classes. It is possible to attempt to test into a second-year class with 2x training in one type, but you'd be struggling to catch-up. It is recommended to try to test into a second-year class with 3x training in one type.

I'm not going to draw up a list of everything you could buy all at once. Instead, I'll be rolling up what each store offers when you go looking for it, with a bonus to a particular item if you're looking for it. Those who are in a group may break off at any time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:36:37 pm by Nirur Torir »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »

So... How do we choose classes? And when will we go into shops?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »

Just realised that there's one guy with my level of CHAR... Everyone else pumped points into power and capacity. Shortsighted, in my opinion. Where we're going, increasing those stats should be easy. Other stats? We won't have the time for it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 02:30:57 pm »

Eh, I just picked a few stats that seemed to fit. Didn't put much strategic thought into it. (Besides, you're making assumptions about training. For all we know, there's an etiquette class and all magical power is gained at birth with no increase from training possible past that.)
Oh, and do you think you can avoid feeling the need to murder Angel this time, Gamerlord?

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:36:12 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 02:40:31 pm »

So... How do we choose classes? And when will we go into shops?
You choose them any time between now and when school starts. They're listed now in case you want to buy extra books relating to them.
Begin shopping now.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »

You haven't given us any shops.
There. Fixed that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:36:50 pm by Gamerlord »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »

Begin shopping now.
Um, okay.

Angel's father gripped her hand, keeping a wary eye on some of the other people. He wasn't sure who he should be most worried about, or if he would be able to protect his daughter if something did happen. In his jacket was concealed his father's old revolver...but would he even be able to draw it if something happened?
Angel was blissfully unaware of her father's fears. "Come on, Dad, let's go!" She tried to pull them towards the shops, looking around at everything, trying to decide where to go first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 02:55:47 pm »

(I put things in as RP-wise, seeing as I'm still interweaving several backstories here. Also, I'm assuming it's not that hard to go study to gain Intelligence or maybe take some other classes or afterschool work. Also, do I have to choose my second Lore and whatever I'm getting the 2x focus on?)

Reyna giggled like an idiot the whole time. She was finally going to the school of the Magic Arts. Finally, she would be able to follow in the footsteps of the great Wrythwia, and be a great magician who defends all the earth! She ran along, pulling her father and spouting random excited notions about her talents and her future capabilities.
"Come on, daddy! Let's go buy some books about Wrythwia, about the Elements, about Magic, about everything," she said hurriedly as she ran down the mall.

Go buy some books.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:36:25 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »

Spoiler: classes (click to show/hide)

Clair look around the street. First thing she was going to look for was a good art set to replace her worn(by a lot) one.

Where ever art supplies would be sold.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 03:16:18 pm »

Derry looks up and down the (roads? Alleys?), while sizing up his current 'companions'.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 03:33:59 pm »

Six classes is possible, but a difficult schedule, and you probably won't have much time to learn extra spells or practice those taught in class.

Derry looks up and down the (roads? Alleys?), while sizing up his current 'companions'.
It's a mall. But magical. Let's say it's + shaped, with an underground courtyard-type thing in the middle.

You haven't given us any shops.
I'm not writing up a complete list of every shop in the mall. Spawn shops by looking for one. ("I look for a pet store. I need a magical snake.")
Extra books will give you a bonus to studying or trying to learn spells not taught in class. Getting the books from the library will require a roll. A wand will give you a bonus to certain spells. You could buy an expanded set of potion ingredients, better tools for certain classes, a pet, or any number of mysterious objects you might expect to find in a magical mall.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »

May drop a class then. Probably Divination.

Oh and do we NEED a wand? Or can we use some other foci, different only for flavours sake? Cos I really like the idea of using a rosary.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »

Six classes is possible, but a difficult schedule, and you probably won't have much time to learn extra spells or practice those taught in class.
Even with one of them being history?
Fine, drop Conjuration, then.

I'm not writing up a complete list of every shop in the mall. Spawn shops by looking for one. ("I look for a pet store. I need a magical snake.")
Extra books will give you a bonus to studying or trying to learn spells not taught in class. Getting the books from the library will require a roll. A wand will give you a bonus to certain spells. You could buy an expanded set of potion ingredients, better tools for certain classes, a pet, or any number of mysterious objects you might expect to find in a magical mall.
Alright. Hm.
"C'mon, Dad, let's go get a wand!"
Look for a wand store. Wands are important, right?

Oh and do we NEED a wand? Or can we use some other foci, different only for flavours sake? Cos I really like the idea of using a rosary.
...Isn't the Catholic church against magic and sorcery and stuff?
Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17