Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Roll to go to wizard school  (Read 24007 times)

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to go to wizard school
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2013, 03:43:24 am »

If this is still alive, how much would it cost to buy a wand that trained magic power the way Bull's club trains strength, assuming such a thing is possible?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2013, 12:59:26 pm »

"Aah, I'm taking Magical History, Wandless Magic, Abjuration I, Intro to Dueling, and probably Conjuration II. I hope everything goes well this school year! I've heard about terrible accidents before with magic and I hope none of that happens for you, me, or anyone."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:17 pm »

((Woo, ignoring the problem causes other People to think up class names for me. Convenient!))

{7} - Angel buys her wand, a beautiful hazel wand with a pearl handle and a unicorn hair core. She finds a store with a large variety of magical items. A particularly notable item is a blanket and pillow combo that slightly compresses time during sleep, by about 25%, which would give her more time for either learning magic or adventuring. She hides the card warning about time compression reducing lifespan subjective to other people on another shelf so her dad won't see it. It's rather expensive, costing [{10} wealth].

{9} - Joey looks around for older student-ly types. He finds one in a coffee shop, and asks for advice on pleasing his specific teachers and studying. He learns that the abjuration teacher will pressure him heavily over during the first few weeks to make sure he's dedicated and not merely trying to skip a year of effort, and that he shouldn't give up ((Avoid an early morale penalty)). For Intro to dueling, he should just generally obey the teacher and treat it as serious instead of a game. For divination, the teacher will respect him more if he asks for help when he needs it, rather than just making up random nonsense. Magical Theory for Beginners doesn't have a very good teacher this year, and is mostly a waste of time. You could get what you need from just studying the standard book, and test into the next class for your second year. The library keeps extras of most of the course books on hand, and he suggests that you just borrow that instead of buying your own, if you're going that route.

{4} - He then finds a pet store. They don't have much of a selection for interesting magical pets, but a rat seems unusually interested in him.
{8} - The clerk helpfully asks him if he needs anything, since he looks like he has a question. Oscar asks if there are wands that would specifically train his power. The clerk replies that using any wand he can barely channel through for long enough would work, but he would have a significantly harder time learning to actually cast anything, and that he would be better off just learning more powerful spells.

{?} - Haywood asks the bookstore clerk about books for both the first and second year rune classes, since he's not sure if he can get into the second year course. Since the store is mostly empty, the clerk has him demonstrate his handwriting skills, then assures him that he could easily skip into the second year course. The clerk gets four basic books down, and asks if perhaps he would like to buy books that he will actually use, and not be down here trying to get a refund for during the winter holidays?

Clair buys the expanded painter's kit.

Spoiler: Shop Details (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Joey(Aattss) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyson(Cheesecake) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Oscar Farrier(Hatman) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clair Keter(Scapheap) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bull Trollwit(Dwarmin) (click to show/hide)

August 3rd shopping group:
Joey
Grundulf Byrdin
Oscar Farrier
Reyna Hirso
Clair Keter

August 4th shopping group:
Angel Beatrice Carlson
Tyson
Heywood D. Monroe
Bull Trollwit
Derry O'Driscoll

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2014, 09:08:41 pm »

Buy a cheap wand that gives +1 to duelling, look for a store that sells wizard hats.
((I figure hats that help protect you from mind arts would make a degree of sense. Also, if wands one can barely channel with train magic power, does wandless magic?))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »

"Um, do you have a glove for illusion magic?"
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2014, 09:51:38 pm »

"I don't know, Angel, that seems awfully expensive for just a couple more hours each day..."
"Aw."
"If I bought this, you wouldn't get anything else until Christmas."
That encouraged Angel. She left the store, looking for something else to get. Maybe something that would let her make gifts for people? She didn't know when Derry's birthday was, but it could be soon...and he couldn't argue if she gave him a gift on his birthday!

Look for a shop for something like enchanting or magically crafting/summoning stuff or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2014, 03:06:19 am »

Look for unattended bags I can steal from. There is no 'we' in 'I'm the most important!' afterall!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2014, 06:00:11 am »

"Really? You think I'm good enough? Cool."

Heywood wasn't sure what else to say, really - apparently he was good with runes or whatever already.

"Well, thanks, I guess. Have you got anything on, like, magic itself? 'Arcane theory', I think?"

Purchase Arcane Theory books. If I get them, end shopping and get back to my mother.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:07:57 pm by Harry Baldman »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »

End shopping, go home and read the new limited edition I just bought.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:02 am »

End shopping
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »

The following players need to have at least a basic focus before we can move on:
Harry
Cheesecake
Reyna
Scapheap

((There were 2 {1}s and a {2}. Then I realized I rolled 5d6 instead of 5d10.))

{3} - Oscar fails to find a shop offering non-muggle mental protection hats, although the salesman assures him that the muggle 'tin-foil' invention is an excellent way of keeping ones thoughts to oneself. He decides to just buy a wand (plastic and pixie-dust, an excellent choice for an orphan interested in dueling).
((No, going wandless does not grant a bonus to power training. It's a different method of casting, instead of trying to brute-force an uncooperative wand.))

{7} - YES! There are many gloves for illusion magic!

{6} - Angel finds a beginner enchanter's kit. It looks like it mostly involves using (pre-inscribed) runes and a spell she is reasonably proficient with. {10}, perception - The runestones look shoddy, and the box only mentions that each enchantment is good for a few hours of fun. It looks like, once an item is activated, it will keep going until it runs out, and there seems to be enough runes for two or three items. {3 wealth}

{1} - Derry is caught. Half an hour, a few unknown people claiming he stole from them, too, a clearly broken magical truth detection ring, and several firm scoldings later, he finds himself deprived of wealth and wearing a thief hat that won't come off before 12 hours have passed.

{8} - Heywood purchases his books.

Spoiler: Shop Details (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Joey(Aattss) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyson(Cheesecake) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Oscar Farrier(Hatman) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clair Keter(Scapheap) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bull Trollwit(Dwarmin) (click to show/hide)

August 3rd shopping group:
Joey
Grundulf Byrdin
Oscar Farrier
Reyna Hirso
Clair Keter

August 4th shopping group:
Angel Beatrice Carlson
Tyson
Heywood D. Monroe
Bull Trollwit
Derry O'Driscoll

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »

"I'll take one then."
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »

Attempt to locate higher-quality enchanting kit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »

Attempt to scavenge some wealth or dropped/discarded items.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:47:57 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:58 pm »

attempt to abjurates someones wallet out of their pocket and knock it under a bin or bench as they are passing me on the other side of the street.
"Abjurate"?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17