Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "No distillable items" yet I've got plenty of brewable plants?  (Read 784 times)

vytros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"No distillable items" yet I've got plenty of brewable plants?
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:46:04 am »

Hey everyone!

So I'm kinda new to the game and everything, but sometimes I run into these odd happenings. Currently I have a level in my fortress where I have a kitchen, a still, a storage for food and everything concerning it, and a dining hall.

For a while everything worked swell, it's early in my game, no sieges yet, but for a few months now my brewers clearly have an odd case of not seeing plants in the storage room. To demonstrate it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any ideas you have will be apprecieted, as I said, I'm new to this, I have no clue what I've done wrong if it has worked so far.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:52:43 am by vytros »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "No distillable items" yet I've got plenty of brewable plants?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:05:10 pm »

The first thing that pops into my mind is that the barrel was 'in use'. Or more specifically, locked.

Possible scenario.

1. Plant needs to be harvested.
2. Dwarf is assigned to task.
3. Barrel is 'locked' for exclusive access.
4. dwarf walks to barrel to collect it.
5. dwarf walks to plant to harvest it and put in barrel.
6. dwarf walks back to stockpile to store barrel.
7. barrel is unlocked.

If that barrel is the only one you had with brewable plants and if the brewing task was attempted while step 4 was active, then you would have gotten the message and error you did and the barrel would have 'looked' like it was available even though some other dwarf had a claim on it.

vytros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:13:43 pm »

The first thing that pops into my mind is that the barrel was 'in use'. Or more specifically, locked.

Possible scenario.

1. Plant needs to be harvested.
2. Dwarf is assigned to task.
3. Barrel is 'locked' for exclusive access.
4. dwarf walks to barrel to collect it.
5. dwarf walks to plant to harvest it and put in barrel.
6. dwarf walks back to stockpile to store barrel.
7. barrel is unlocked.

If that barrel is the only one you had with brewable plants and if the brewing task was attempted while step 4 was active, then you would have gotten the message and error you did and the barrel would have 'looked' like it was available even though some other dwarf had a claim on it.

I took a look at the possibility of this, but I've made sure a few in-game days back that I have enough surplus barrels. I logged on the game and made sure there was nothing to be harvested, and I even have 3 barrels with the name "Plant Barrel", one is full, two have one or two plants in them, but the problem is still there, them dwarves don't want to brew anything.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »

The other three options that could be giving you problems are stockpile links, kitchen settings, and burrows.  I'm prety sure burrow would give you an inaccessable error instead however but you may want to double check that you dont have one assigned that keeps your brewer from being able to access the plants

As to stockpile links if you setup the still to link to a stockpile, say your barrle storage stockpile, Then it will only look in that stockpile for the required items.  If there are no plants in that stockpile it will spit out job cancellation due to no brewables.  Make sure your still either has no stockpile links or is linked to both stockpiles (plants and barrle storage).  When in doubt deconstruct the still and rebuild it to make sure links get cleared.

The final possiblity is you could have disabled brewing on all aplicable plants.  Go into the Z menu, over to kitchen and see if any plants have brewing enabled.  Be aware that not every plant can be brewed, saw a couple dye plants in your Barrle SS that are among those not for brewing although you did have plump helmets which do work.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »

IF it were the case that plump helmets were available for eating, at what point would they be unavailable for brewing?  Urist's tummy rumbles and he is peckish for plump helmet.  Is it reserved for eating right away?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:18:08 pm »

Items become unavailable the instant that the job involving them is spawned. That's when they (and their container) get locked. Then you have to wait for the dwarf to actually travel to the locked object. Then do their thing with it. And finally, unlock it when the job is done.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:20:28 pm »

Urist Mchauler tags a barrel to grab to harvest a plant.
Urist Mcbrewer tags a plant in THAT barrel to brew.
Urist Mchauler picks up the barrel.
Urist Mcbrewer sees that the barrel is picked up and says Damn, I 've got no more plants.
Urist Mcbrewer looks at the stockpile with 100 barrels of plants  and says "Nah. I'd rather start a tantrum spiral by letting my cancellation message get lost in the spam because the moron running this joint doesn't have a stockpile just for booze supply even though it's really a pain in the ass to monitor. Besides, he should just realize that even though I can pick one plant to brew, if that plant isn't there it makes no sense for me to pick another plant instead of quitting the entire process. Iz moar logik".

The dwarfs hate you. Learn to accept it. And look forward to trees falling in the next release. It's better than silly things like cancellation fixes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:23:48 pm by xcorps »

vytros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:30:39 pm »

Thanks for the answers guys! Well, yeah, it looks it it fixed itself after various still demolishings and stockpile rearranging, at least one Urist McBrewer got to work on the booze.

Thanks again, my fortress is saved from actually not being drunk all the time. :)

Edit1: Like 25 settlers arrived as soon as the first batch of booze was ready.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:34:25 pm by vytros »