Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attempting to make baby's out of sand...  (Read 1443 times)

Man_Flayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Attempting to make baby's out of sand...
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:48 pm »

Simply attempting to make a desert-y civ, but my modding skills are subpar at best and banana sundae's at worst. Even if it were accomplished, I don't know wether they would fall apart from a stiff breeze or not (Has Toady implemented wind patterns yet?). Any help would be appreciated.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to make baby's out of sand...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:48:56 pm »

A creature made of sand would be made of solid sand, which is just soil with a different name. Wind and such wouldn't affect it at all. For combat purposes
sand RAWs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Skin:
Bone:
So I imagine it'd be quite resilient, since soil acts like marble, and sand acts like soil.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:59:53 am »

Unless you also edit the raws for sand to act more like sand, as far as INORGANIC tags allow.  See also the discussion on modding raws for Obsidian to make Obsidian short swords appropriately flinty and sharp, as opposed to a slightly edged rock on a stick.  (Will make LOTS of sense when persistent item/material conditions are implemented.  Distant future.)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:08 pm »

Start with an elemental creature - say, the gabbro man - and in the tissue template replace
Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:GABBRO]with
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:SAND_WHITE] (or whichever kind of sand you want to use)This will use the sand as tissue.  However, solid sand is basically identical to rock, so if you want it to behave like sand, also add:
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:POWDER]They will not be affected by wind or water, but any physical attack on a body part will destroy that body part and turn it into a pile of sand.  (They will not be great fighters, unless you give them crazy dodging skills that keep them from being hit in the first place)

Man_Flayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:45 pm »

Well now I know it can be partly done. Should have been more clear I wanted only babys made of sand, then they grow into normal organic stuff later. My bad. It'd probably be easy enough for me to work out, that or it's completeley impossible.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »

I'm not sure if it's possible, maybe if all the creatures had a syndrome applied at birth (don't know how, interactions and syndrome classes?) that turned  them into tiny sand creatures, and wore off at maturity age.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:09:54 am »

Ah, metamorphosis... always tricky business.  You can't tie forms to specific phases of life directly, but that's not to say it isn't possible.  It depends on what you want the storyline to be...

The easiest way to do this would be to create a pet creature that produces the sand babies as members of its own species, then create a workshop reaction that produces a vaporizing stone that applies a syndrome that allows the one running the reaction to transform one of the sand creatures into an adult of its own species, possibly after a time delay.

The harder way would be basically the same, but spawning the babies through a reaction directly. 

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:32:03 am »

If you give a creature an interaction it uses it whenever it can on everything, so if you gave them an interaction that only worked on creatures with a certain syndrome class, you could have mothers cast it on their newborn baby, transform them into a creature made of sand, then have that wear off at maturity, then you'd have to have another symdrome class that made the interaction not work on them again.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:13:00 am »

If you give a creature an interaction it uses it whenever it can on everything, so if you gave them an interaction that only worked on creatures with a certain syndrome class, you could have mothers cast it on their newborn baby, transform them into a creature made of sand, then have that wear off at maturity, then you'd have to have another symdrome class that made the interaction not work on them again.

How would you keep your original party and new migrants from casting it on themselves?

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 11:55:08 am »

How would you keep your original party and new migrants from casting it on themselves?
I'm not entirely sure you can, and I don't think interactions are used by creatures in worldgen :/. The idea with the pet creature that makes babies would probably work, but would be a lot of work and would come up with a less than satisfactory result. This is a very difficult thing to do.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:10 am »

I saw a mod a while ago that allowed you to make masses of clones.... forgot what it was named.

Basically what it did was give an interaction to a pet creature that would transform its children into clones (which were a caste of the playable race) I think there was a time delay involved.

The reason a pet was used was so here would be no problems with migrants and the starting 7.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS