Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What dwarfs you hate the most having fun with?  (Read 2886 times)

wesai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What dwarfs you hate the most having fun with?
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:01:31 am »

Losing your dwarfs to fun is inevitable, but sometimes, we just can't accept some losses that well. As a new player, I absolutely hate losing miners, specially my legendary ones. I hate to recruit dabbling dwarfs for the job and watch them dig away slowly. So, what I've been doing recently is embarking with miners who are adept swimmers as well, so they can avoid possible fun with aquifers or other type of accidents. And every time I'll recruit a new miner, I'll make sure to create some sort of place for them to train their swimming skills before they can strike the earth!

So what is your hardest loss to accept? What profession do you evaluate the most?  :)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What dwarfs you hate the most having fun with?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:45 am »

Legendary cooks, brewers, farmers, engravers, masons, carpenters, tailors... Anybody whose skills are in high demand for keeping up morale is somebody I will not take kindly to dying. I mean, I committed regicide when one of my king's mandates resulted in one of my two legendary cooks dying of dehydration!

But really, any legendary is a pain in the ass to lose. Unless they're a woodcrafter or something equally useless.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:35:04 am »

I hate losing Military dwarves annoyingly as they tend to have the most interesting stories. Other than that, miners and smiths.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:56:47 am »

Oddly enough I'm normaly not that worried about my miners after the first year or so of a fort.  Then agian I tend to throw more miners at any large scale digging so I normaly have at least 10 legendarys and another 20 somewhere  between dabeling and legendary.  I do tend to make sure its one of the newbies that does dangerous breaches but if I loose a legendary to an accident its no big deal, they are easy to train.

I particularly hate loosing legendary crafters.  weapon/armor smiths are especialy anoying to have to retrain as they churn out so much junk while skilling up.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:41:16 am »

I tend to have legendary miners so quickly that they sort of fade into the background. Legendary smiths are what I really hate losing, especially one that has good attributes and likes/dislikes. Other than that, I tend to grow attached to random dwarves, particularly mechanics.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:38:00 am »

I tend to hate loosing my nobles, since I make use of them and turn them into machines of war. It helps that my baron has been hand-picked to have easily fullfilled demands, no constricting mandates, and all nuetral stats.

I'm kind of upset that she married one of my smiths though, now the bastard won't work- so it's to the military for him.

Other than that, loosing any Legendary Dwarf besides crafters (excluding weavers and clothiers).
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:34 pm »

I hate losing any dwarf that makes it to the hospital, but still dies after days of surgery.  I once had a dwarf that had so many cuts, he needed 19 stitches and wound dressings.  He came to the hospital with 6 arrows embedded in his body.  There were multiple medics operating on him day and night and I thought he'd pull through :(.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:44:23 pm »

I hate losing any dwarf that makes it to the hospital, but still dies after days of surgery.  I once had a dwarf that had so many cuts, he needed 19 stitches and wound dressings.  He came to the hospital with 6 arrows embedded in his body.  There were multiple medics operating on him day and night and I thought he'd pull through :(.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The arrows were still there? Did you unforbid them so the doctors could get them out of him?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:47 pm »

I hate losing a good doctor, since training one up is both difficult and counterproductive. Fortunately, it seems like you've always good a pretty good chance of getting a few migrants who are "great" at at least one medical skill.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:06:07 pm »

The arrows were still there? Did you unforbid them so the doctors could get them out of him?

It's been a while, but I usually do a mass unforbid command over the scene of a battle.  I'm pretty sure the arrows were removed, but remained on the same tile since there weren't any haulers available.  They were too busy removing corpses and body parts from the battlefield.

I hate losing a good doctor, since training one up is both difficult and counterproductive. Fortunately, it seems like you've always good a pretty good chance of getting a few migrants who are "great" at at least one medical skill.

You've got a pretty long-running fort.  How do you keep your doctors well-trained?  All of my medics eventually lose all of their training due to skill rust after a decade or so.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:10:40 pm by VerdantSF »

Nooooooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 01:11:09 pm »

Yeah, doctors are the worst to lose. I recently lost my (only) doctor of 30 years in my fort to a megabeast, which also managed to slay all of my legendary swordsmen as well. I was not amused... Thankfully my marksmen slay the beast.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:08 pm »

I hate losing any one of my original seven dwarfs, as well as any original military dwarfs.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »

I hate losing any one of my original seven dwarfs, as well as any original military dwarfs.

Definitely.  In my current fort, I lost my first commander during a forgotten beast attack.  He was one of the original seven and was also #1 in kill counts :(.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:06 pm »

You've got a pretty long-running fort.  How do you keep your doctors well-trained?  All of my medics eventually lose all of their training due to skill rust after a decade or so.

Frequent construction accidents help, although I still do get rust on the part-time doctors. Currently, my chief medical dwarf (who has been around since the first or second migrant wave) is a legendary diagnostician, legendary surgeon, grand master wound dresser, grand master suturer, and a professional bone doctor (rusty). I have no idea why he's rusty in bone setting, since broken bones are very common in my fort.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:34:07 pm »

Legendary in medical skills, wow!  Epic Sky Fortress, btw :).
Pages: [1] 2