Poll

Do you hate zombie ravens?

Yes.
- 10 (62.5%)
No.
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Bloodhalls - vampire succession game - Ravens... Why did it have to be ravens?  (Read 13538 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Court - succession game idea - ideas wanted
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »

I figured you'd make your own vampire curse, but w/e.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »

What would be the point? All I need to do is make it easily acquired as part of embarking, the actual curses are basically beyond control, wild cards only used in worldgen that can't be relied on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 09:57:07 pm »

I'm having difficulty testing my vampire juice. Whenever I try to make my test subjects dump it into some water they ignore the order, and when I try to use dfhack to do it I get problems with the extract vanishing. I'm going to try it as an actual edible substance just so I can be sure that it works as intended. If all else fails bringing a single dose of food to vamp someone and then bleeding them into a well should work.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »

Or you could bring a bunch of vamping food and place it in a special stockpile, burrow reserved for only the vampiric nobility. Also, I could mod in some noble positions for the vampires if you want the feel of "the vampires have control of this place" and that they are all nobles.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »

Or you could bring a bunch of vamping food and place it in a special stockpile, burrow reserved for only the vampiric nobility. Also, I could mod in some noble positions for the vampires if you want the feel of "the vampires have control of this place" and that they are all nobles.

I was thinking that custom profession names and a castle of some sort would do to represent the noble aspect of the vampires, it's not like mandates make much sense when we are the nobles, if someone wants to mandate something they can just ask the person who's turn it is, and what need do the undead have for bedrooms? I am tempted to just bring a stash of vampirification snacks and locking them in the castle pantry and burrowing the peasants out of it, it's a tad risky I suppose, but not really any more so than the well.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:01 pm »

Probably less so than the well, as long as the overseer pays attention.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 10:58:52 pm »

Probably less so than the well, as long as the overseer pays attention.

Well the basic containment principle is the same: Lock it in a room, burrow out everyone (even the vamps, so they don't nomnomnom prospectives who fall asleep by the well.) and only let in those who need to be turned. If using food I might have something of an idea for fun, will have to see how well I can work out the logistics, but it may be possible to get things organised so that the vamp food if carried into the castle by mortals and then moved to another room that the mortals can't reach.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:52 am »

What would be the point? All I need to do is make it easily acquired as part of embarking, the actual curses are basically beyond control, wild cards only used in worldgen that can't be relied on.

They were talking about targeting vanilla vampires, which is what I was talking about. :T 

I KNOW making your own was the point. 

Either way, I think the well idea is stupid and unreliable and overly difficult to eliminate, as opposed to a custom workshop.  They work 99% of the time, and if you still have any qualms just have the dwarf do the job a dozen or so times.  Then he'll be guaranteed to be infected with the vampire curse. 

Using food and drink is equally unreliable, and I promise you some unwanted dwarf will inadvertently eat/drink some of your "special food" despite whatever precautions you take.  Seriously, I don't know why you guys are so opposed to a custom workshop. 

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:06 am »

They were talking about targeting vanilla vampires, which is what I was talking about. :T 

I KNOW making your own was the point. 

Either way, I think the well idea is stupid and unreliable and overly difficult to eliminate, as opposed to a custom workshop.  They work 99% of the time, and if you still have any qualms just have the dwarf do the job a dozen or so times.  Then he'll be guaranteed to be infected with the vampire curse. 

Using food and drink is equally unreliable, and I promise you some unwanted dwarf will inadvertently eat/drink some of your "special food" despite whatever precautions you take.  Seriously, I don't know why you guys are so opposed to a custom workshop.

In my case it's because I find making workshops migraine inducing, while custom food/drink takes me all of three minutes.

EDIT: Decided to cut corners and make a dark altar single tile building. It's a table, the build mat is any table. Artifacts allowed.

I also made a reaction to make normal rocks into obsidian at a kiln. Only takes time since obsidian isn't all that useful as a weapon without improving it's vanilla stats.

EDIT2: Threw together a quick reaction to vamp people. Takes ages to be completed but it seems to have a 100% success rate. It uses the Alchemy labour, so it's rather unlikely that anyone who isn't being vamped will have any reason to be near it. It would appear that it can affect animals as well though, there was a horse near the altar during testing and it's now labeled as a vampire. This amuses me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:22:37 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Court - succession game - Poll for last minute descisions
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »

I'm ready to start this up, posted a poll for anyone who wants some input on where/what/how/who we embark. If you think something that would be fun isn't on the poll then mention it in the comments. I'll found the fort either later this evening or next morning.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 02:10:03 pm »

Either way, I think the well idea is stupid and unreliable and overly difficult to eliminate
This is what usually called DWARFY!  :D
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 02:21:28 pm »

Either way, I think the well idea is stupid and unreliable and overly difficult to eliminate
This is what usually called DWARFY!  :D

I swapped over to the reaction idea myself because I couldn't get the damn test subjects to dump my extract in a well. We can still make wells of unlife, it'll just require the good old fashioned method.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 06:16:44 pm »

Humans might be good to get around the "Needs Alcohol but can only drink blood" issue.  But then making armor and clothing might be a pain.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:41 pm »

Humans might be good to get around the "Needs Alcohol but can only drink blood" issue.  But then making armor and clothing might be a pain.

How would it be any harder? I play humans all the time and they can make clothes and armour just fine. It won't fit non-humans but that's true of pretty much all creatures depending on size.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 06:27:26 pm »

Mod the raws!
Great job on the reaction, burrow restrictions will help even more! Can I be a metalworker?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11