Poll

Do you hate zombie ravens?

Yes.
- 10 (62.5%)
No.
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Bloodhalls - vampire succession game - Ravens... Why did it have to be ravens?  (Read 13534 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Court - succession game idea - ideas wanted
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 07:43:05 pm »

If there is a way to hack the vampires so they drink blood out of barrels or deaths only happen rarely or something like that, it would be make this fortress work.

There isn't a way to make them drink barreled blood and the only way to reduce feeding death is fatter/bigger victims and regular small feeds rather than rare big ones.

But at the same time the main reason vampires are a problem in most forts is that they eat crafters and soldiers that people don't want killed. The basic premise of this is that the only things we actually care about are the vampires themselves. We'll take what measures we can to reduce casualties, keeping fainting prisoners on hand, knocking out livestock and locking up vampires who feed on the most valuable of mortals for a short while. Thing is that even 10 vampires eating people on a near monthly basis will still barely dent a fortress that's getting regular migrant waves, especially with a high enough population cap.

The main problem with having that many deaths on a monthly basis is that after a short number of years, your migrant count will drop anyway because of the 1000 units problem. Even deleting units from the dead-list does not prevent the bug from happening, based on my experience in Moltenchannels. This causes migrants to just stop.

By the time migrants waves declining becomes a problem I fully expect the fort to have imploded in a glorious spectacle of inter-player feuds, mad schemes and mass-vampirification due to carelessness. I fully intend for this to end like most forts, I just intend to make it last as long as possible.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »

If there is a way to hack the vampires so they drink blood out of barrels or deaths only happen rarely or something like that, it would be make this fortress work.

There isn't a way to make them drink barreled blood and the only way to reduce feeding death is fatter/bigger victims and regular small feeds rather than rare big ones.

But at the same time the main reason vampires are a problem in most forts is that they eat crafters and soldiers that people don't want killed. The basic premise of this is that the only things we actually care about are the vampires themselves. We'll take what measures we can to reduce casualties, keeping fainting prisoners on hand, knocking out livestock and locking up vampires who feed on the most valuable of mortals for a short while. Thing is that even 10 vampires eating people on a near monthly basis will still barely dent a fortress that's getting regular migrant waves, especially with a high enough population cap.

For purely aesthetic reasons you could brew up a bunch of bloodwine and mod vampires to drink regular alcohol again... but that isn't what we're looking for, is it.
I wonder... if you could find/make a mod to allow you to tame captured sentients (although not train them do any work) you could feed your vampires on a diet of pure goblin/elf blood. That could help considerably should you find yourself lacking animals or expendable dwarfs.

That being said, I think we should put the vamps in the military in addition to having noble duties. This will stop them from killing off your military as they'll be your military, enable you to take out undeads with impunity, and generally fit with a theme of immortal vamps being so bored they decide to go make some blood spill. The problem is feeding them once a month, which you probably can't do.
Hrm.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 07:57:59 pm »

For purely aesthetic reasons you could brew up a bunch of bloodwine and mod vampires to drink regular alcohol again... but that isn't what we're looking for, is it.
I wonder... if you could find/make a mod to allow you to tame captured sentients (although not train them do any work) you could feed your vampires on a diet of pure goblin/elf blood. That could help considerably should you find yourself lacking animals or expendable dwarfs.

That being said, I think we should put the vamps in the military in addition to having noble duties. This will stop them from killing off your military as they'll be your military, enable you to take out undeads with impunity, and generally fit with a theme of immortal vamps being so bored they decide to go make some blood spill. The problem is feeding them once a month, which you probably can't do.
Hrm.

My plan was to let each player dictate how their vamp spends it's time. Some would doubtlessly request a squad of vampire warriors to lead. In addition if I can get the sedative extract I'm working on to actually work then it would be possible to make any organic fall asleep and thus be a valid target for vampire feedings.

So for example, you chain a dog in a puddle of the stuff and it falls asleep, so along strolls a vampire and drains it's blood because it's unconscious, you have one fed vampire and one dead dog.

Vampires also don't need a meal every month, it's more like once a season. It adds up fast but it's not like we're going to care about the mortals anyway, they're just there to build a castle, dig and produce more vampires when needed.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:05 pm »

The real question is how we are going to get enough vamps for the players

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 11:20:34 pm »

The real question is how we are going to get enough vamps for the players

I made a plant extract that induces vampirism much as if drinking from a vampires blood spatter. This can be selected on embark and dumped into a well to make vampirification easy and simple. Downside is keeping mortals from drinking from the well will require a little micro-management.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 06:53:59 am »

I think I'll go for a peaceful butcher in the squad of his own after he will become legendary in his workfield. If you can, I would like an angry speciemen. Gender is irrelevant. Strong/tough human is preferred, while agility can be overlooked. Axe as a first weapon. And then we will see how it goes. Straight into insanity I suppose.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 07:22:41 am »

This sounds cool, I'm interested in watching and playing to see how this will work out.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 01:43:19 pm »

Advice to make this more interesting, embark near a necromancer tower. Build your vampires a secluded but suitably glorious place to live, in the fortress. Cage a necromancer and/or undead, and chain zombies up throughout the vampires' home and also at the main entrance. The undead will add to authenticity, giving your night walkers minions, and will not attack the vampires. If you want, you may have a  unguarded servants tunnel, for furniture and sacrifices to be brought through. You could also do this with an animating evil biome, or a huskifying cloud (unstoppable undead super soldiers). Bonus points if you reanimate everyone who's been drained by the vamps.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:44 am »

I think I invented a way to increase the chances of vampirification, apart from non-reliable "spikes in the well" way.
First, we need a "fix sober vampires" mod - dwarven blood gets a syndrome that temporary removes NO_DRINK and NO_EAT tags from vampire, giving him a taste for life, for a while. This prevents their slowing down due to lack of alchohol.
And also dwarven blood should give CE_COUGH_BLOOD syndrome - the vampire starts spattering his blood everywhere, including food stockpiles and wells and everything. And since vampiric blood syndrome has SYN_INGESTED, every dwarf that eat spattered food will become a vampire.
Should be working, I guess.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 08:20:20 am »

I think I invented a way to increase the chances of vampirification, apart from non-reliable "spikes in the well" way.
First, we need a "fix sober vampires" mod - dwarven blood gets a syndrome that temporary removes NO_DRINK and NO_EAT tags from vampire, giving him a taste for life, for a while. This prevents their slowing down due to lack of alchohol.
And also dwarven blood should give CE_COUGH_BLOOD syndrome - the vampire starts spattering his blood everywhere, including food stockpiles and wells and everything. And since vampiric blood syndrome has SYN_INGESTED, every dwarf that eat spattered food will become a vampire.
Should be working, I guess.

If vampires coughed blood all over the food stockpile then there'd be no way to control who got vampired with any reliability as a single stack of biscuits could turn anywhere from 5 to 50 mortals into vampires if not forbidden in time.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 08:45:39 am »

Wouldn't it be better to have a workshop that produced an insta-boil boulder, whose fumes induced vampirism? That'd be waaaaaaaaaay more reliable than dumping the lot into the well.  And what's more, you can use the manager to select who operates the workshop, so you can selectively choose who gets vamp'd.

The code isn't hard to write at all, you could copy 99% of it from one of the Masterwork Mod's interactions.

Also, for the NO_DRINK bit causing dwarven vampires to slow down?  Just give the vampires an interaction that temporarily removes "NO_DRINK" for a little less than the time it takes to die of thirst.  That way they don't HAVE to drink, but they CAN to eliminate their slow-down.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:48:20 am by evictedSaint »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:11 am »

Wouldn't it be better to have a workshop that produced an insta-boil boulder, who's fumes induced vampirism? That'd be waaaaaaaaaay more reliable than dumping the lot into the well.  And what's more, you can use the manager to select who operates the workshop, so you can selectively choose who gets vamp'd.

The code isn't hard to write at all, you could copy 99% of it from one of the Masterwork Mod's interactions.

I've used stuff like that in the past and found it somewhat unreliable anyway, granted wells aren't really any better but they work better for a theme unless I make some kind of unique building for it. I guess I could make up some kind of altar custom building and use it for it. My well plan was to have a well in a locked room and burrow prospective vampires in the room with everyone else burrowed into a peasant area and a vampire area. Once someone takes a sip of immortality they'd get shunted to the vampire burrow.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:48 am »

Wouldn't it be better to have a workshop that produced an insta-boil boulder, who's fumes induced vampirism? That'd be waaaaaaaaaay more reliable than dumping the lot into the well.  And what's more, you can use the manager to select who operates the workshop, so you can selectively choose who gets vamp'd.

The problem is that vampirism curse is hardcoded (if we're speaking about vanilla vampires, not modded ones), so you can't change it and I doubt you can reference it in your mod.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

The problem is that vampirism curse is hardcoded (if we're speaking about vanilla vampires, not modded ones), so you can't change it and I doubt you can reference it in your mod.

You can reference it in a syndrome. The curse isn't hardcoded, it's in the interactions folder. All you need to do is copy + paste the syndrome the interaction curse gives.

Code: [Select]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Vampire]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:VAMPCURSE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:BLOODSUCKER:NO_AGING:STERILE:NOT_LIVING:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:START:0]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:200:0:AGILITY:200:0:TOUGHNESS:200:0:START:0]
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:2]
[CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION:MAT_TOKEN:RESERVED_BLOOD:START:0]
[CE:INTERACTION:VAMPIRE_CURSE]
[CE:SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INGESTED]
[CE:SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_DISPLAY_TILE:TILE:165:4:0:0:START:0:CAN_BE_HIDDEN]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:vampire:vampires:vampiric:START:0:CAN_BE_HIDDEN]
[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
[CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:DRINKING_BLOOD:1:NONE:REQUIRED]

That's what the actual vampire curse consists of, the rest of the stuff in it's file just determines targets and description.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 11:26:42 am »

You can reference it in a syndrome. The curse isn't hardcoded, it's in the interactions folder. All you need to do is copy + paste the syndrome the interaction curse gives.
Actually no. What in the "interaction example" folder is the example, while real interactions are composed when you generate the world, and can be obtained with Raws Extractor utility after that. They consist of many DEITY_CURSE_VAMPIRE interactions and same for mummy disturbance, evil regions, werebeasts curses and so on, and vampire curses are done in that way as you posted, but there's no way to modify the interaction itself. The only safe way to reference it, I think, is the usage of SYN_CLASS:VAMPCURSE to target some other thing to vampires only
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:32:04 am by peregarrett »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11