Poll

Do you hate zombie ravens?

Yes.
- 10 (62.5%)
No.
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Bloodhalls - vampire succession game - Ravens... Why did it have to be ravens?  (Read 13438 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is the fifty first year of our world. I am forced to flee for my life from the lands I once called mine. I was a nobleman of the Confederation of Dusks. Since the dawning of mankind I ruled over my brethren, but in the past decade my people and I have found ourselves cast adrift, severed from our positions of power. A band of mortal fools discovered the secrets that most men knew better than to look for, and they curse and despise us for our glory. We are vampires. Immortal, powerful and cleansed of mortal weaknesses. Out of their envy they seek to destroy us and defame us, they call us monsters, tyrants and blasphemous beings. They struck fast, and we were unprepared for their uprising, but a handful of us remain, scattered upon the winds. I and two others of my coven have fled far, so very far, in search of a place to rise up and retake the day with the iron grip of the night.

Hello and welcome to the Vampire Fortress. This is a human succession fort, but with a focus on vampires. Any person dorfed (vampirized?) as a vampire will be given a custom profession and live in safety, security and luxury, anyone dorfed (humanized) as a mortal will be at a constant risk of being drained of blood by vampires. Fun times.

The rules

• No killing the vampires.
  • Make sure that the right people become vampires, we don't want every random growing fangs do we.
  • Try to preserve as many of the human cattle as possible. We have burrows for this, one for vampires, one for mortals, please use them.
  • No mass underground residences, this is to be a human fort with all that that entails. Dungeons are fine though. Large houses are also fine, mortals don't need luxury here.
  • The human cattle should be used as a military rather than the use of excessive traps, though cage traps to catch some hapless victims are always welcome, and trapping corridors in the castle are entirely reasonable.
  • Turn time is two weeks, extensions may be granted on request.
  • When your turn comes up you have three days to confirm that you're taking it.

Turn Order
Grim Portent (Finished)
Monitor Lisard (Partial Turn)
Grimmash (Unfinished)
Proto105
Maskwolf

Skip to journal beginning: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134000.msg4830567#msg4830567

Original Post
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:38:29 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Court - succession game idea
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:50:09 pm »

I'm in.  This sounds awesome.  I'm no good at modding, though, so you will likely have to do it.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:06:15 pm »

You'll have to find a way to make the vamps not kill their cattle when they feed.

I don't know if the [bloodsucker] effects are hardcoded.  You might be able to tweak the interactions so that you don't kill your cattle.

Alternatively you could try to mod in a syndrome that has a very low chance of spreading itself by physical contact.  Then have the symptom eventually give a new tag, [newvamp], that causes the holder to have the vamp syndrome, and another, or the same one, that spreads lethargy to others, but gives speed and strength to the carrier, and immunity to the lethargy disease.  That sentence doesn't work right, but I am tired.   Maybe the newvamp tag causes them to not target others with the tag.

I don't really know how to do it, or if any of what I wrote is possible, just spitballing since you brought up modding.  If you get it to work, that would be cool.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:04:50 am »

My plan was to make an extract in a plant that could be extracted then dumped into a well to taint it's water with the sweet sweet gift of vampirism and to increase the time needed for vampires to feed. People would still get omnomnomed by the vampire court but it would be less frequent and countered by migrants. I may also make an extract that induces sleepiness on those it touches that can be dumped into a holding area for prisoners.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:34:22 am »

Well, count me in. With some clever modding it can be quite enjoyable play. Not allowing count to feed as a punishent for draining the only weaponsmith in bloodthirst?  ;D

Also, the perfect way to get rid of the hundreds of babies. With tantrum spirals, rage and bloodbath in the kitchens...

How about a private arena for the vampires with various dangerous animals and races? And, well, races. We will probably need more enemies than just goblins to endanger our suprime rule.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:39:02 am »

I may just watch.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:51 am »

How about a private arena for the vampires with various dangerous animals and races? And, well, races. We will probably need more enemies than just goblins to endanger our suprime rule.

Much like in Bridgedstreams I was planning to use Fortress Defense to provide extra enemies.

A private arena sounds fun.

I expect some players will want to have their 'pires lead squads of vampiric warriors. Since humans aren't alcohol dependent vampire warriors are only a bonus after all as long as you feed them.

I'm going to try and make vampires need one feeding a year, but I'm not certain how easy that is to do.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:02:11 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:03:26 pm »

Decided that since I'm doing RAW modifications for this anyway I might as well take requests from prospective members of the court. So if anyone wants a swarm of war bats fluttering around their head or a pair of hunting wolves guarding their steps then please ask.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Court - succession game idea - ideas wanted
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »

Needed: "Psychic Vampire".  It kills dwarves and hides their bodies because it preys on ghosts instead.  Militia can target ghosts, so why not vampires too?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:42:49 pm »

Needed: "Psychic Vampire".  It kills dwarves and hides their bodies because it preys on ghosts instead.  Militia can target ghosts, so why not vampires too?

Because the Blooddrinker token is hardcoded and can't be altered.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:30 pm »

War bats.  Definately war bats.

and hunting crows.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:34 pm »

If there is a way to hack the vampires so they drink blood out of barrels or deaths only happen rarely or something like that, it would be make this fortress work.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 11:12:32 pm »

If there is a way to hack the vampires so they drink blood out of barrels or deaths only happen rarely or something like that, it would be make this fortress work.

There isn't a way to make them drink barreled blood and the only way to reduce feeding death is fatter/bigger victims and regular small feeds rather than rare big ones.

But at the same time the main reason vampires are a problem in most forts is that they eat crafters and soldiers that people don't want killed. The basic premise of this is that the only things we actually care about are the vampires themselves. We'll take what measures we can to reduce casualties, keeping fainting prisoners on hand, knocking out livestock and locking up vampires who feed on the most valuable of mortals for a short while. Thing is that even 10 vampires eating people on a near monthly basis will still barely dent a fortress that's getting regular migrant waves, especially with a high enough population cap.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 04:41:30 pm »

Since I've got exams on monday and tuesday I'll probably start this on wednesday or thursday. In the meanwhile could anyone who wants to play/be vampired tell me what kind of role they'd like to have their vampire be so I can plan out how to handle founding the fort. Things like vampire warriors, aloof nobles, benevolent masters and so forth, though anything is an option.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 07:32:23 pm »

There isn't a way to make them drink barreled blood and the only way to reduce feeding death is fatter/bigger victims and regular small feeds rather than rare big ones.

But at the same time the main reason vampires are a problem in most forts is that they eat crafters and soldiers that people don't want killed. The basic premise of this is that the only things we actually care about are the vampires themselves. We'll take what measures we can to reduce casualties, keeping fainting prisoners on hand, knocking out livestock and locking up vampires who feed on the most valuable of mortals for a short while. Thing is that even 10 vampires eating people on a near monthly basis will still barely dent a fortress that's getting regular migrant waves, especially with a high enough population cap.

The main problem with having that many deaths on a monthly basis is that after a short number of years, your migrant count will drop anyway because of the 1000 units problem. Even deleting units from the dead-list does not prevent the bug from happening, based on my experience in Moltenchannels. This causes migrants to just stop.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11