Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Have Stopped Making Babies  (Read 896 times)

Schvots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves Have Stopped Making Babies
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:55 pm »

Don't think this is a bug, but my dwarves aren't having any children...also my migrant waves are only like 2 or 3 dwarves per wave before being cut off by a unit marked as "Trader" (a known bug in 34.11). My Fortress is made to sustain a population of over 250 dwarves, but the population hasn't been over 90 since our goblin-vampire-king arrived. There also seems to be some correlation to the king arriving and the migrant waves being cut off by traders. Plus that was about the time that babies stopped being made...

Not sure why this is happening...most of the time the problem is that there are too MANY children and when I search this issue, those are the types of things that come up. Before you ask, my child cap is 100:1000 as default. I changed this once to 1000:1000 but have since set it back in hopes this would fix the issue, but it hasn't. If anyone has any work around ideas of how to raise a fortresses population I would be thrilled, even if it means modding the game to an extent.

WE NEED MORE BABIES!!!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Have Stopped Making Babies
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:38:43 pm »

if you changed the settings they can normaly get pregnent again, but that some time to become babies ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:47:54 pm »

check how many married couples you still have. If you had a mass extinction, you might be running low on them and only married dwarfs produce offspring. I'm pretty sure the wiki has some excellent guides on how to force dorfs to marry.

Also, if you know the bug, you know it can be fixed. The vampire king is indirectly related. He's probably been feasting off the capital population for some time now, so your civilization is running low on able bodies. As a result, dorfs that have previously visited you as traders, guards or liaisons are appearing as migrants - which causes the bug.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Schvots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 01:07:32 am »

check how many married couples you still have. If you had a mass extinction, you might be running low on them and only married dwarfs produce offspring. I'm pretty sure the wiki has some excellent guides on how to force dorfs to marry.

Also, if you know the bug, you know it can be fixed. The vampire king is indirectly related. He's probably been feasting off the capital population for some time now, so your civilization is running low on able bodies. As a result, dorfs that have previously visited you as traders, guards or liaisons are appearing as migrants - which causes the bug.

Actually we had the king executed unintentionally during a mass culling of the goblin race...you see we had so many goblins caged up, that we needed to make a mass execution chamber...I must have accidentally assigned the King to this pit in my hasty pressing of the ENTER button. Anyway he's been dead for some time now...he was around during the year 1070 and died around....1074 i think? Anyway its 1081 now, late summer. I'll check the married couples though.

Also the other guy is right, i haven't given it much time since changing the baby ratio back to normal...I'll leave it running for a while and check back with you guys...

On another note, if every bug has a fix, where can i find a fix for the fucking trader bug? I know this belongs in the bug help board, but i've scoured that fucking place and have never seen a fix.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 06:31:44 am »

select the migrant and in dfhack type 'fixmigrant' or 'fixmigrants', I always forget which. It's probably in the dfhack thread somewhere or maybe someone else can help out?

edit:
small forum search for fixmigrant showed up
'tweak fixmigrant'
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Schvots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:58:22 pm »

Ok you guys were right, none of my dwarves were in relationships or their spouse had died in some various way. Gonna look up way to force marry. Thanks for the migrant fix, gonna try it as soon as i get a migrant wave, but theres a fire breathing worm marsh titan flying around my base that just ripped apart an entire goblin siege, so i'm kinda wait for it to die of natural causes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:32:31 pm »

widows and widowers won't remarry, so don't try.
Lure the FB somewhere in a room prepped so the ceiling collapses on it (without punching a hole in the floor and the floors below), that kills everything. Alternatively, line it woth upright spike traps linked to a lever on repeat and watch the impalement.

An artifact door or bed is great for luring a FB or Titan, as they can't destroy it and will basically stay near it for ever.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »

the other 'wrinkle' there is that my flying titan didn't come with legs; he wouldn't come in doors presumably he couldn't land.  He did stay distracted by a hatch cover distant from the main entrance.  Until he was lured off it by a caravan.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:05 am »

having no legs has no effect on wether it can or can't move at ground level. It'll just fly just above the ground

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »

having no legs has no effect on wether it can or can't move at ground level. It'll just fly just above the ground

well there must be another variable.  Because my guy couldn't come inside. 
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Schvots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 08:20:57 pm »

Ok...its been like a year since i had all projects suspended and and work orders canceled...now i have  a bunch of idling dwarves who are all so socially retarded that they don't seem to be making friends despite all this free time...actually they are all perpetually at "passing acquaintance".

And not to contridict myself, but i checked dwarf therapist and all my dwarves are experienced in socializing. How long does it take to make fucking friends? ;_; All my dwarves are forever alone.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »

Best way to increase population: Making a dining hall that dwarves can party at.  Partying leads to romance, and from there spores.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 05:59:26 am »

lock a male and a female dorf in a tiny burrow (with enough food and drink and such) so they only socialize with eachother. Your problem might be that they are socializing with too many randoms instead of focusing on getting married.

As mentioned (by me! yay!), a dorf that was previously married will never remarry, at least it was that way in previous versions, so don't waste your time on them.