Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: E.V.O.: Necessity is the Mother of Invention: Chapter 1: Emergence  (Read 22081 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: E.V.O.: Necessity is the Mother of Invention (Illustrated Evolution RtD)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:43 am »

I'm using mostly Spore-ish logic. Sure I could've said 'leave some portions of the cell membrane clear so they can filter feed', but eh not worth it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 11:23:37 am »

Oh.

That's still most everyone before him.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 11:36:06 am »

Species Name: Vestnesis
Color
Starting Evolutions: Mouth, light sensory organs, tail for swimming, like tadpoles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 01:01:47 pm »

Mouths and sensory (and other) organs only apply to multicellular organisms.

Ciliates have oral grooves, and I do believe several protists have stigmata or whatever those things are called that allow them to see light.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »

Oral grooves are not mouths, and stigmata are not organs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 01:19:14 pm »

In the technical meaning of an organ, that is an independent bunch specialized tissue, that affirmation is right. But not relevant in this context. Or, well, maybe it's just me that I'm seeing this a kind of Spore-like game.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 01:21:30 pm »

No, but they serve similar purposes and are somewhat analogous. Photoreceptor patches in particular are precursors to the eye (that's what I meant by stigmata, really - I've heard their eyes called stigmata some time ago, but apparently that's not what you're supposed to call them).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 01:59:59 pm »

In regards to the debate on cells and science and whatnot, you are following what basically amounts to Spore rules, like some people mentioned, so logic and science aren't exactly at the forefront of the game. You can get all sciency if you like, through. Can't start the game yet because I'm typing on an iPod right now but I should be able to when I get home.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »

Alright, sounds good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

In the technical meaning of an organ, that is an independent bunch specialized tissue, that affirmation is right. But not relevant in this context. Or, well, maybe it's just me that I'm seeing this a kind of Spore-like game.
Why would he have made reference to a "sensory organ" if he meant something smaller than a single cell?

No, but they serve similar purposes and are somewhat analogous. Photoreceptor patches in particular are precursors to the eye (that's what I meant by stigmata, really - I've heard their eyes called stigmata some time ago, but apparently that's not what you're supposed to call them).
((Firstly, a quick search for "photoreceptor patch single cell" doesn't find anything about organisms smaller than a fruit fly, so I'm doubting their presence or importance in single-celled organisms. Secondly, if he meant "oral groove" why didn't he say that? And aren't things like diffusion and vesicles more "traditional" for single-celled organisms?))

In regards to the debate on cells and science and whatnot, you are following what basically amounts to Spore rules, like some people mentioned, so logic and science aren't exactly at the forefront of the game. You can get all sciency if you like, through. Can't start the game yet because I'm typing on an iPod right now but I should be able to when I get home.
So, something like zooplankton in size/complexity?
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »

((We were arguing under the assumption that it was realistic. In fact, my point was that we weren't cells, supporting our ability to possess those characteristics.))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

You are drifting along a current.

You can't see.
You can't hear.
You can't smell.
You can only feel.

Technically, you are not breathing.
You are absorbing the oxygen in the water as it passes by you.
You do not have a mouth.

You can not move.
You are little more than a single celled organism.

But you can evolve.
Ahem.
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 03:24:13 pm »

((And I'm contesting that with what the post later says. Besides, it clearly notes that you are more than a single-celled organism--just not much.))
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 03:26:53 pm »

((Firstly, a quick search for "photoreceptor patch single cell" doesn't find anything about organisms smaller than a fruit fly, so I'm doubting their presence or importance in single-celled organisms. Secondly, if he meant "oral groove" why didn't he say that? And aren't things like diffusion and vesicles more "traditional" for single-celled organisms?))

Firstly, here you go. They do indeed exist, though they're not common, and mostly used for phototaxis.

Secondly, the GM already stated that this runs on Spore rules, where cells do indeed have mouths, and phagocytosis, diffusion and cell organelles are largely ignored. As such, the GM didn't mean the oral groove at all. As per Spore rules, he meant an actual mouth. I was merely pointing out that it was indeed possible for a unicellular creature to have a mouth, which was something that occurred to me while I was thinking about the subject.

So yeah, single cells can have their own eyes and mouths of a sort in the real world as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:30:35 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12