Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: E.V.O.: Necessity is the Mother of Invention: Chapter 1: Emergence  (Read 22047 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: E.V.O.: Necessity is the Mother of Invention: Chapter 1: Emergence
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2013, 11:52:47 am »

((Heh. I'm on the way to becoming a multicellular organism already.))
((In a most unorthodox fashion, yes. It suits you.))
((Most of the time, multi-cellular organisms are formed by botched mitosis. Instead, one was formed by botched...I'm not sure what you were doing, actually.))

I think he was referring to the specific method of reproduction you attempted.

Wait, this is spore-like, right? Did you press the "mating call" button yet?
((Which also doesn't really work, considering that most single-celled organisms reproduce by that method. They can't really mate. Also, Xantalos already did it.))
((Some unicellular organisms have sexual reproduction. Besides, given the presence of complex organs like jaws, electric and other sensory organs, digestive glands, trunks, limbs, proboscises, spines, and apparently nervous systems, we don't seem to be so much "unicellular" as "plankton".))

Bit the guy biting me!
Seriously, why are you picking on me? I can't hurt an...oh, you criminla genius.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2013, 04:21:19 pm »

SECRETE MOAR ACIDS, AND EAT MORE TASTY EATY THING

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »

((Some unicellular organisms have sexual reproduction. Besides, given the presence of complex organs like jaws, electric and other sensory organs, digestive glands, trunks, limbs, proboscises, spines, and apparently nervous systems, we don't seem to be so much "unicellular" as "plankton".))
((Yeah, plankton would be much better for describing what you are.

Oh, and as note, I was going to be nice and say that he saw/heard a mate in the distance, but then I double-checked and noted that he has no senses.))
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »

Try to break out of the current and go for the meat again.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2013, 03:44:09 am »

((Can you provide an example of unicellular organisms that reproduce in such a manner?))

((Yeah, plankton would be much better for describing what you are.

Oh, and as note, I was going to be nice and say that he saw/heard a mate in the distance, but then I double-checked and noted that he has no senses.))

((How terrible for me. A perfectly good species doomed by an awful miscommunication, namely the idea that we start as single cells. Besides, plankton can also be, and frequently is unicellular.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:31 am »

((Can you provide an example of unicellular organisms that reproduce in such a manner?))
((Lazy Answer.
And I can't find the names of any specific species, sadly. I do, however, clearly reading about unicellular organisms (possibly prokaryotes rather than bacteria) combining, reproducing their DNA, and then dividing into four. Basically combining two germ cells and having the resulting cell undergo meiosis.))

((Besides, plankton can also be, and frequently is unicellular.))
((Many plankton are also larvae for crustaceans and the like. Should we assume that we'll grow into crabs?
Moreover, sea animals can be air-breathers; should we assume that we are?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 11:10:02 am »

((Lazy Answer.
And I can't find the names of any specific species, sadly. I do, however, clearly reading about unicellular organisms (possibly prokaryotes rather than bacteria) combining, reproducing their DNA, and then dividing into four. Basically combining two germ cells and having the resulting cell undergo meiosis.))

((The lazy answer doesn't work because it doesn't provide examples of reproduction, only gene transfer. The reproduction itself is still asexual and done through binary fission. As for the whole combination thing, apparently Chlamydomonas do it, though they seemingly also reproduce by mitosis. In any case, mitosis is still a requirement for meiosis, so, unless an organism is multicellular, binary fission is always possible for it at some point in its life cycle.))

((Many plankton are also larvae for crustaceans and the like. Should we assume that we'll grow into crabs?
Moreover, sea animals can be air-breathers; should we assume that we are?))

((I was pointing out that 'plankton' is even more vague a description than 'unicellular organism'.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2013, 11:13:52 am »

((For the first: What would I need to show to show you sexual reproduction in unicellular organisms? Sexual reproduction is just exchange of genes, sometimes in only one direction, followed by a new creature being born. What is your definition of "sexual reproduction"?

For the second: True, but what description would you choose for our menagerie that nicely describes the approximate size of us all?))
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2013, 11:26:47 am »

((For the first: What would I need to show to show you sexual reproduction in unicellular organisms? Sexual reproduction is just exchange of genes, sometimes in only one direction, followed by a new creature being born. What is your definition of "sexual reproduction"?

For the second: True, but what description would you choose for our menagerie that nicely describes the approximate size of us all?))

((For the first, you already did, and I concede that point. Chlamydomonas fits the criterion, with an actual haploid cell and everything. But even then, mitosis is possible for them. Meiosis is, after all, two instances of mitosis with only one instance of DNA duplication. And prokaryotes don't really need the gene transfer or modification to multiply, as the processes are entirely separate.

For the second, I have no idea. I'm just railing against the way nothing is explained in any reasonable way and there is no apparent consistence. I still don't know if we're supposed to be unicellular or not. It seemed like a reasonable assumption to make when I posted the sheet, but then it turned out to be incorrect in a way that I find rather baffling.

But we should probably take this to another thread.))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »

((If I'm allowed to say something in this discussion: do not try to rationalize this. Remember, Spore logic. I'm amost sure that Harry failed that reproduction because he stated an specific method and Mastahcheese thought that he wanted to do something special, and thus the action wasn't allowed. If he had stated just "reproduce", that action would have been a success, I think))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:37 pm »

((If I'm allowed to say something in this discussion: do not try to rationalize this. Remember, Spore logic. I'm amost sure that Harry failed that reproduction because he stated an specific method and Mastahcheese thought that he wanted to do something special, and thus the action wasn't allowed. If he had stated just "reproduce", that action would have been a success, I think))
If he had just stated "reproduce" then I would have taken that to mean "perform the first step on the road to reproduction" which would be to find a mate, although, again the issue of a complete lack of senses comes into play.
Really, I stated in the beginning that some form of ability to detect your surrounding would be needed, otherwise you can only react.
Also, I've stated many times over, including before the game even began that science would not be followed, this is a game, not a project. Spore logic has also been mentioned many times over.
This argument is a moot point, because scientific logic does not apply to this scenario.

Keep in mind that you all literally just came out of some unidentified metal capsule on an alien world that you've never seen before.
You don't even know where you came from.

Luckily, though, problems like not being evolved enough soon shouldn't be a problem, because the first evolution checks are scheduled for next turn, anyway, once the capsule hits the seafloor.

If you wish to continue this argument, I do have a separate thread just for those, that I've mentioned before. Don't worry about infringing on the hippies that set up a game in there, they can get over it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2013, 07:36:58 pm »

NOMNOMNOMFORLANENOMNOMNOM
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2013, 03:35:06 am »

I object to being called a hippie! I'm not nearly elven enough!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »

I object to being called a hippie! I'm not nearly elven enough!
Same here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2013, 11:09:28 am »

Hah, this project was right along the lines I thought it would be
Actually, though it was in the form of a suggestion game, I ran a game much like this before.
It's prettybad though. (two links, not illustrated)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12