Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butcher's shops in the dining room?  (Read 794 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butcher's shops in the dining room?
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:12:43 pm »

Do butcher's shops kills count toward the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait?  If so, I'm thinking of moving my butcher's shops into the middle of the dining room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher's shops in the dining room?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:03:40 am »

I don't think so, or all butchers should get that trait, which they don't in my experience
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:44 am »

The wiki explains how not to get tantrum by getting this "doesn't care" attribute, and butchering isn't part of the examples, as I would expect if it was working. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tantrum)

And from my experience, I never noticed such thing
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:39:30 am »

If I had to guess: it might be due to losing a friend or two and killing a lot of enemies. Mostly my military dwarves have this trait.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:49:57 am »

Encage all attacking goblins and have them killed in your meeting hall. Bonus points if you build a big round arena solely for this.

It just occured to me: maybe Romans was trying to give themself "doesn't care" attribute?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:38:02 am »

Encage all attacking goblins and have them killed in your meeting hall. Bonus points if you build a big round arena solely for this.

It just occured to me: maybe Romans was trying to give themself "doesn't care" attribute?

How would you kill them without causing a dwarf bomb? They are scared of any enemies outside of cages and you can't kill them inside cages.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:08 am »

Take off goblin's armor, station a couple squads around his cage, release goblin. He will be dead in no time, scary civilians will not have enough time to run far.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »

I wonder if you could get that same effect from enemies tied to restraints. At the very least, the goblins won't fight back when attacked, unless they counter a strike.

Though it is possible to create negative thoughts from butchering. If a sapient creature (a creature that can both learn and speak) is slaughtered, then everyone who witnessed it, including the butcher, will be given negative thoughts. Though this requires DFHack, since sapient creatures can't normally be flagged for slaughter.

I found this out while randomly altering tags on a dwarf with the gm-editor, and accidentally flagged him for slaughtering.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:57:56 pm »

The wiki explains how not to get tantrum by getting this "doesn't care" attribute, and butchering isn't part of the examples, as I would expect if it was working. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tantrum)

Yup, the wiki is great, but I asked here just to make sure :).  The wiki has missed a thing or two in the past.  Time to create an arena!

Take off goblin's armor, station a couple squads around his cage, release goblin. He will be dead in no time, scary civilians will not have enough time to run far.

Lock the doors, too!  "All dwarves MUST WATCH the gladiatorial games!"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:00:55 pm by VerdantSF »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:03:38 pm »

with a seperate arena, viewable from... wherever, get all civvies inside, lock the doors, enjoy the arean battle and the civilians running around but staying in view.Military enjoys the killing and gains more 'doesn't care' and civilians get started on it too. Not bad for a good laugh.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »

In my SCIENCE I've concluded that trauma is semi-random.  It's caused by any unhappy thoughts, with a particularly heavy leaning towards death and injury.  I've witnessed safe, secure, internally working dwarves become traumatized by such things as drinking water, miasma, and poor bedrooms.  It's MUCH quicker to happen when exposed to death or injury, favoring battle but also counting for things like "lost a friend to tragedy".  Military training (skill increases) also seem to contribute to trauma in uncertain ways.  Perfectly happy danger room dwarves have not cared about anything.

Butchering does not cause any unhappy thoughts.  What you want is to build a retracting bridge above your dining hall, declare it a pit or pasture, put dogs or cats on it, and then drop them to their deaths during a party.