Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A penal colony succession game - NEED WARDENS  (Read 2261 times)

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
  • Forts lost: A lot
    • View Profile
A penal colony succession game - NEED WARDENS
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »

NEW SUCCESSION GAME
                                                                                                 PENAL COLONY/PRISON

PENAL COLONY CHALLENGE GAME
This is an idea I had a while ago while reading The Heist tread. It came to me that while it is a penal colony, these people are basically free to do as they wish. What if it wasn't so? What if the fortress was divided into guards and prisoners, with the majority of the dorfs being the prisoners? The guards have their strict roles and jobs, but the prisoners are just sitting in their separate part of the fortress waiting for food and drink to get served with no access to the rest of the fortress and the surface.

We are going to have our very own Stanford prison experiment, with you holding the baton and keys.

Since this is a challenge fortress since this are the rules (This will be subject to change as times change):

• You lead a prison, not a real colony. You are not allowed to produce your own food or products in large quantites. You MUST import them if it's not urgent. Head staff requests are excluded from this according to your own preference.
  • Since your a government employed prison, you must not trade goods unless in insane surplus, but mint coins and trade them to the caravans.
  • The coins will be minted according to the number of staff and prisoners.(yet to be determined)
  • The fortress staff is divided specialized roles and guards with a cap of around 60 or 70 with the population cap being 200 + 100 children.
  • All new migrants after the succession starts will be assigned to the prisoners.
  • The prisoners are rebel scum on life sentence and are forced to rot in cells. All children (if possible) should be divided for reeducation and will be used to replace the staff as they go.
  • Feeding the staff is a first priority, with feeding the prisoners being the second. Staff moods are a yes, with the prisoner not being mandatory for game mechanics reasons + people go insane in max security prisons all the time.
  • Mass executions of the prisoners is a no-no. The dwarfs are not nazis although I bet some would argue.
  • Ironically, no sheriff/captain for game mechanics reasons. Rebel scum already got enough justice as it is. We don't want useless nobles to come...
  • Letting loose or loosing most of the prison pop is a turn fail condition. At that point, the current warden saves and ships it to the next guy. The fortress gets 50% budget cut next year on the already cut number (from the lack of prisoners). Don't fuck up people, you're professionals, not dumb-ass colonists.
  • Seasonal updates at least, with the pop number and incidents. Extra points for RP and detail.
This should be all for now.

Also, before people start comparing my idea with Nazi death camps: This is old world people... not like any ancient or medieval prison/jail actually gave a f**k about common prisoner nutrition or civil rights.

Population:
Support staff: 30 max
  • Administrative staff
  • Craftsdwarfs, cooks, miners, mechanics, etc. At least one of each skill.

Guards: 30 or more
  • 2 shock/riot squads or more, with blunt weapons and armor
  • 1 marksquad or more for manning the towers and taking care of sieges
  • Rookies in training and/or waiting for a spot in the staff or guard

Prisoners: Everyone else! In a standard population that would mean 140 + their children.

PM for turns. Suggestions and dwarfing in comments.

• Bokaza
  • 4maskwolf
  • Urist McAxedwarf
  • Icefire2314

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:32:16 am by Bokaza »
Ah, RL. The only true slayer of fortresses.
A vile force of Reality has arrived!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: A penal colony succession game - NEED CRIMINAL SCUM(planning phase)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:13:25 pm »

I'm in. More specifics after I take my dog out.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:36 pm »

I'm in. More specifics after I take my dog out.
Wtf, double post
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:21:04 pm by 4maskwolf »

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:48:54 pm »

Is this because Steelhold stopped updated?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »

Damn it, my turn is coming up soon on that, it will NOT fail now.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:08:04 pm »

Is this because Steelhold stopped updated?
Nay, I didn't even know the tread existed til now. It seems I forgot to put capital "P" on penal when I was searching for existing games. Ohh well. The game is still on if interest is high enough.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »

I say we do something... slightly different.  All "dwarfs" that are not guards/support are actually elves.  They are prisoners of war that have been sent here to rot.  Feed them meat when possible, and generally try to do things that would piss off elves.

That's my suggestion.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:32:57 pm »

I say we do something... slightly different.  All "dwarfs" that are not guards/support are actually elves.  They are prisoners of war that have been sent here to rot.  Feed them meat when possible, and generally try to do things that would piss off elves.

That's my suggestion.
Yeah, let's make a death camp for elves. Suggestion noted, but it would be up to every Warden to pick punishment if they choose so... Like I said, this is our very own Bay 12 Stanford prison experiment.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:03 pm »

One dwarf named Jean Valjean is going to be spirited away by Goblins as a child, and we're going to spend the rest of the game tracking him down, aren't we?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:59:08 pm »

No, that's the penal colony adventure game.  With the number and length of these penal threads growing, I expect it's only a matter of time before the excitement arouses interest in a penal adventure that with will really penetrate the caves and fortresses of The Continent of Moaning.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 03:10:19 am »

Thank you for making a reference to my fortress. :) Actually, I've been thinking of a sequel to Dorfday, but I want to finish The Heist game first. If I organise one more succession game, I'll call it "Dorfday: The Struggle". It will feature three classes of dwarves that do different tasks and have different rights.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:48:29 am »

Thank you for making a reference to my fortress. :)

Np, my fortress will pale in comparison to the epicness of your tread. If I even get it started. Interest is low it seems.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:36 am »

Thank you kindly.  To be honest, Dorfday doesn't really get many new players these days, but we are pretty good already. If you give a good story and an interesting setting, and update the thread regularly, the fotress will eventually attract enough players. Who knows, we might have a second Spearbreackers here.  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:52:27 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:39:35 am »

I'm interested in a turn definitely!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 09:55:18 am »

I am curious to see how you implement the gaurds v prisoners, in game mechanic sense.  The best i can think of is labor controls.  You coul try to build lots of jails and never complete mandates, to spurn dwarf on dwarf violence.  But outside that I'm not really sure how to recreate the psychological side of the Stanford event.

On a random note I had a professor that was part of an experiment to see how mental patients were treated.  He lived in an institution for 3 months.  Oddly, he said mental patients and staff were often nicer than people in the real world are.
Pages: [1] 2