Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this possible with one minecart?  (Read 569 times)

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this possible with one minecart?
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:49:48 pm »

I haven't played DF2012 in a while (too much hate for vampires), but I've been thinking about starting another fort in it.

I had an idea about using a single minecart to organize almost all of my workshop materials. I created a test fort to see if it would work.

My idea (which doesn't work, currently) was to do something like this:
Code: [Select]
- = Minecart track
M = Main stockpile (dwarven haulers bring items here)
S = Minecart stop
Q = Quantum stockpile input for workshop, created by minecart dump at adjacent stop

Q
-S----
-    SQ
-    -
S-S-S-
M Q Q
I was thinking to load the minecart with various types of goods from a main stockpile, and guide it around the track, dumping only the proper items into quantum stockpiles (adjacent to the workshops that need them). For example, the brewery might have an adjacent quantum stockpile that only takes barrels.

Of course when I tried this in-game, it didn't work. When the minecart contents were dumped into the first quantum stockpile, meant for empty barrels, all the items in the minecart were dumped, including non-barrels. Then my dwarves swarmed over to pick up items that weren't meant to go in the barrel stockpile, leading to chaos on the track.

Is there a way to make this work? In the past I've simply used one minecart per type of good--I'm just wondering if there is a way to do it all with just one. Thanks in advance.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Is this possible with one minecart?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:34 pm »

To put it simple: no. Sorry, that would be really cool sometimes but it won't work.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:39:08 pm »

I can see a way of doing that using just one minecart, but it would be ugly as sin. Basically, you have the minecart travel on different tracks to each workshop. Effectively a star configuration. For instance.

Stop 1. Main stockpile. Load barrels.
Stop 2. Workshop. Unloads barrels.
Stop 3. Main stockpile (and this is a SEPARATE stop from stop 1. Just happens to be fairly close physically to stop 1, but it is unique).
            Load next item.
Stop 4. Workshop. Unloads items.
And back to stop 1.

See what I mean? VERY VERY ugly. And frankly, all it does is save you a few minecarts, but costs you a lot of extra time.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:01:46 pm »

Thanks both.

And yeah, that level of ugliness is unacceptable, when I just wanted it to be simple and elegant!
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress