Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: what is the WORST kind of zombie?  (Read 7553 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: what is the WORST kind of zombie?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »

Gotta put my vote in for skeletal/zombie whales.  Any fort on an evil-biome ocean is going to die.  A lot.  They're not only insanely fast on water, they're insanely fast on land too.
Sanity is for the weak.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 12:42:27 pm »

Gotta put my vote in for skeletal/zombie whales.  Any fort on an evil-biome ocean is going to die.  A lot.  They're not only insanely fast on water, they're insanely fast on land too.
Beware the sea beasts that can swim on the land!

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »

Most dangerous?  The husks of my own hammerlords.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 08:12:56 pm »

Thralled Giant Sponges are godly, as they don't air drown and they cannot be killed by any means, exept for the Dwarven Atom Smasher (At least, I think.)

Other than that, Thralled Whales are too big to be smashed and their push will likely kill a dwarf instantly.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 08:37:02 pm »

Giant mosquitos came in huge numbers only in 34.01, which due to a lethal bug (no, not the giant mosquito) has no save compatibility with any other version of DF. Toady deliberately broke compatibility with 34.02 to stop people from continuing with their doomed 34.01-genned forts.
that doesn't bring back the dwarves who died in vain ;_;
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:44 pm »

In my opinion (and I'm one who doesn't do evil embarks, but have been near towers), the worst kind are Dwarven zombies.

I tend to use coffins for my dead, since it is a lot less micromanaging then slabs (idea: DFHack plugin which queues a slab for engraving when a dwarf is confirmed to be dead). However, due to a bug, all those unnamed Dwarven zombie corpses? Each gets its own coffin. IIRC, even sliced off _parts_ can get their own coffin as well.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:32 am »

So far the worst I have encountered, are zombies covered in evil soot. Or wicked soot. Whatever it was called.
It's bad enough that it's a desert embark, so there are zombie camels and so on, but they tend to be covered from head to toe on that stuff. What does it do?

Causes you to bleed out of EVERYWHERE. Probably should focus on ranged combat in any case, all it takes is one bite attack to land and it's byebye to whomever was bitten. At least it keeps the goblins in check since they like to camp out where the dustclouds appear.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 06:59:53 am »

I encountered a zombie Giant Sperm Whale in my chest fort (Actualy i created it by catching one in a cage trap air drowning and tossing in a necro pit) anyway i released the zombie horde on a siege but forgot there was an ocean tunnel to my fortress as part of my fishing system...
don't talk to me about sponges

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 07:13:06 am »

My extensive arena testing (whenever I get bored I just see how many casualties I can inflict, taking advantage of an error generating a waterfall in my arena :P) shows that yeah, thrall Giant Sperm Whales can kill off anything nearby, but thrall dragons have   enormous durability, their fire can easily kill thrall Giant Sperm Whales and they are magma-ing fast. I envy anyone who has managed to capture a thrall dragon for use as flamethrowers; the chance of one being killed by arrows is pretty much zero.

Giant Sponges make remarkably weak thralls, however; every time I pit one against a Giant Sperm Whale, they die within forty clicks.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:28 am »

I once lost my embark within 2 minutes to Zombie Goats. The blood, so much blood.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 12:49:46 pm »

Oh, but you can harness the dust . . . See, those clouds travel predictably when they start. It's the starting that can't be controlled, sadly. Just do that bridge trick that funnels caravans to one single spot, and you can at least funnel caravans into the kill zone. Figuring out how to contain the husks/thralls made, on the other hand, is for Science to deal with.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 01:07:14 pm »

I encountered a zombie Giant Sperm Whale in my chest fort (Actualy i created it by catching one in a cage trap air drowning and tossing in a necro pit) anyway i released the zombie horde on a siege but forgot there was an ocean tunnel to my fortress as part of my fishing system...
don't talk to me about sponges

You air-drowned a whale?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

Whales have the [AQUATIC] token, as fish do, and the token causes a creature to become immobile and start drowning when on dry land or in insufficiently deep water. *shrug*

IRL, I think beached whales die from dehydration, overheating, and the crushing effects of gravity. They can also drown in the normal mammal fashion if the tide rises up over their blowholes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

I remember getting a beached giant sperm whale once... the fort fell to miasma. Soooooo much meat.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####Ł####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »

I remember getting a beached giant sperm whale once... the fort fell to miasma. Soooooo much meat.
Whales have the [AQUATIC] token, as fish do, and the token causes a creature to become immobile and start drowning when on dry land or in insufficiently deep water. *shrug*

IRL, I think beached whales die from dehydration, overheating, and the crushing effects of gravity. They can also drown in the normal mammal fashion if the tide rises up over their blowholes.

At least we know how to dispose of them properly.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!
Pages: 1 [2] 3