Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big migrant waves  (Read 2101 times)

TresCom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big migrant waves
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »

hmm, thats like sweden nowdays...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:17:36 pm by TresCom »
"Onward, warriors of the Monolith. Avenge your fallen brothers. Blessed, as they are in their eternal union with the Monolith. Bring death to those who spurn the holy power of the Monolith."

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 10:37:42 pm »

You sometimes get massive migraine waves like that. It happens often when you have made a good start and your value is going up.
Yeah, sieges always give me headaches.

(Sieges are triggered from high population and value, for those who don't know)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »

Sieges are also triggered by being accessible to a hostile civilization by some method.  Meaning (as I discovered quite by accident) that you can pretty much evade all forms of outside contact besides the yearly autumn caravans by building your fortress on an isolated island.
Sanity is for the weak.

Required Information

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 01:34:32 pm »

Nearing the second dwarven caravan, already 95 dwarves. This is getting too much.

Spring of 69: 43
Summer of 69: 18
Autumn of 69: 17

The plan for this fort was to let it grow slowly, two of my founders were training (early legendaries), so not prepared for this

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:03 pm »

Unless there's no water on your map or in your caves, and you're utterly out of booze, I don't understand how a large amount of migrants is a problem.

You'd have to have an impossibly tiny map and a truly astronomical population to get into a situation where your dwarves can't produce more resources than they consume.

Build a farm and send out the hunters.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:34 pm »

Nearing the second dwarven caravan, already 95 dwarves. This is getting too much.

Spring of 69: 43
Summer of 69: 18
Autumn of 69: 17

The plan for this fort was to let it grow slowly, two of my founders were training (early legendaries), so not prepared for this

Make charcoal, make picks, and mine. Mass dump stones next to your workshops..., heck, make them all channel out a hole from which they cannot escape. BUILD A MOUNTAIN OF CORPSES! IMPALINATE ALL THE UNWORTHY!
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####Ł####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »

Unless there's no water on your map or in your caves, and you're utterly out of booze, I don't understand how a large amount of migrants is a problem.

You'd have to have an impossibly tiny map and a truly astronomical population to get into a situation where your dwarves can't produce more resources than they consume.

Build a farm and send out the hunters.

I'm delighted. There's a lot of work to be done. Idlers - 0 *sits back*

Required Information

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 05:30:45 am »

Unless there's no water on your map or in your caves, and you're utterly out of booze

This mostly. Luckily there is water in the first cavern layer, 150Z levels down. Adding to the problem, I hadn't dug out enough space yet (I choose to not pick specific jobs for each dwarves, each has at leas two), though alterations have been made, and wood is short on my map. My farms were also pretty limited at the time (4 6*5 plots, each dedicated to one specific plant, don't think I managed to get summer crops the first year).

It's not that it is impossible to handle such influxes of migrants, but most of the time I only have an idea for 10 or some new dwarves per wave. Normally I would sent the rest to the military, but looking at the high mortality rate among my squads I'm taking a different approach this time (which appear to be working quite well, starting military dwarves up to legendary in the first year, first migrants that were assigned up to legendary fighter already).

My map is a volcano rich in gold, so that might be cause of the influx, though I didn't get the gold production going before the first caravan left (weapons and armor had priority) and the amount of ores isn't that high.
Pages: 1 [2]