Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Big migrant waves  (Read 2098 times)

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big migrant waves
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:32:17 am »

Hey guys - is this an unusually large wave? It's the third to my fort, the first two being 6 then 8 in volume. Really underprepared for this. Is there any reason it's so large? Not that it's a problem - the more workers the better heh
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big migrant waves
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:45:34 am »

You sometimes get massive migraine waves like that. It happens often when you have made a good start and your value is going up.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:03 am »

Weird, I just had a much larger third wave than normal. (24, after getting 2 and 4. All adults.)

Usually I set the initial cap to 15-20 dwarves and spend a year or so on extended setup, but this time I left the cap at 35, to get straight up to my desired population of just under 50. I believe that incrementally altering the population cap to be a little above what you have currently results in smaller waves, since prior to this I've never had a migrant wave in the 20s.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

I've had some very large migrant waves early on, even without much in the way of value in the fort. Have you created a large amount of meals? Meals get a quality modifier which can give them potentially very high values with decent ingredients/large stacks of ingredients.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »

AFAIK, migration wave numbers are a function of both your wealth creation, and the population of your home civilization.

The largest migration waves I've had were in the 60's, and they're not the largest that have been reported.  It's completely normal.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »

Ah the high lobster graces us with its august presence!

AFAIK, migration wave numbers are a function of both your wealth creation, and the population of your home civilization.

The largest migration waves I've had were in the 60's, and they're not the largest that have been reported.  It's completely normal.

if that is true even a small increase in wealth could cause a large increase in the size of migrant waves. Is wealth reported only once a year by the caravan/liaison for the purposes of migration waves like population? Or does it update more frequently?
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »

From Wiki:

'Migrant wave sizes

The first two migrant waves have a minimum size of 1, if it has a relative in your group already, and a maximum size of 10. The size of these waves are unaffected by fortress wealth.
The third migrant wave and on are influenced by the created wealth of the fortress, with more wealth attracting more immigrants (more research is needed to determine specifics). Specifically, they're influenced by the fortress wealth as reported by the last outgoing dwarven caravan. Wealth created after the caravan leaves has no influence until the next year's caravan leaves. If the caravan fails to make it out then the fortress' wealth is not reported. The dwarven liaison does not report on fortress wealth, in those circumstances where the liaison makes it out but the caravan doesn't.
Imported wealth, caravan sales figures, absolute caravan profit and caravan profit margin either have no effect on migration numbers, or only have an effect by applying a percent modification to the numbers driven by created wealth. If a fortress manages to trade (not offer) away 100% of its created wealth then no immigrants will come the next season. More research is needed to determine if the aforementioned statistics have any influence on migration numbers.
One factor which is known to affect migrant wave size is the total size of your fortress's units list (all 4 categories), which consists of dwarves, invaders, merchants, and animals which either died or currently live at your fortress. As this number increases, the maximum size of migrant waves will be reduced: starting at a local population of 1000, migrant wave sizes are limited to 10, and at subsequent levels of 1300, 1600, 1800, 2000, 2200, 2400, 2600, 2800, and 2900, the limit is decreased by 1, and once you reach a local population of 3000 you will cease to get migrants at all.'
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:52:47 pm »

I wish I could find the thread, but someone a while back had a migrant wave in the hundreds.  I actually go through and rename all dwarves in a migrant wave so that families share surnames.  Waves in the twenties are big enough.  Something in the hundreds would make me reconsider my naming convention.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »

I've made a thread on this before but sadly my record was only I think 72 (at the time) if my memory serves. Seriously though if you don't want migrants don't make a lot of wealth early. I've done it and it can get very bad when 100-200 dwarves show up at once. Not good for the fort and not good for your computer.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 04:50:47 pm »

Does just digging out a lot of gems and gold nuggets but not yet doing anything with them count to trigger huge migration waves?  My current fort was in Fall and everything had frozen, I hadn't yet found  the caverns, and I had about 120 dwarves, and just enough booze to get through until summer at that level--Spring if the elves brought any.  suddenly in winter I got the biggest wave I'd  ever had--40 people.  This plus some general fubars of my own (I made a mental note to watch the booze stockpiles, then got distracted and didn't).  By the time the elves arrived with some booze and I'd breached the caverns and built a well, I had lost nearly 100 dwarves to dehydration, berserkers, and tantruming.

I can't even imagine 100 all at once.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:12 pm »

Thanks for the replies lads. Must have been the platinum I dug up.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:54 am »

Lass here :D  But yeah, I wager that's it.  I have huge honking amounts of gold in two of my forts... it's like an instant !!Fun!! magnet, whether or not you do anything with it.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »

Eventually I started nicknaming my Dwarves after the wave of migrants they came from (ie. K12 is the 12th migrant from the 11th wave).  The largest I saw was 34 Dwarves strong, though admittedly that was the wave in which the queen came.
Sanity is for the weak.

Oort

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN'T_LEARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

I've gotten like 60 at once before... it's not a fun time.

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 03:34:52 pm »

Lass here :D  But yeah, I wager that's it.  I have huge honking amounts of gold in two of my forts... it's like an instant !!Fun!! magnet, whether or not you do anything with it.

Apologies.

*Lads and lasses
Pages: [1] 2