Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58597 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

"Does anyone else feel the slightest bit odd?" She declares, not entirely sure if she's going insane or not, or if it's only her and no one else.

Action: Something feels off. Can I try to get my senses? What's going on?

And inspect that bug...

[perception:1] You concentrate on taking your surroundings and feelings in, trying to determine if something is wrong. Taking several deep breaths, you relax and clear your head, opening to whatever influence is acting on you.
Turns out it wasn't such a good idea. now that you're not actively resisting it, the feeling of nostalgia intensifies, turning into a sense of odd, almost familial attachment. You feel an overwhelming urge to go down, descend to where someone, someone beloved but long-forgotten, is waiting to meet you.
[will:2] Stumbling, you turn and walk out into the corridor, swaying slightly with each step. You go outside and trot over to the cemetery - the lowest point in the fort. You stomp your foot in frustration. Somewhere, somewhere close...
Suddenly, there's a voice right above you.
"Бедняжка. Так ты никуда никогда не попадешь."
You jerk your head up, snapped out of your daze momentarily, and there he is, perched on the wall right above you. He's holding on to the wood of the wall with bare hands and feet - both his limbs look horrible, scraped red, frostbitten blue, and scabbed over brown. His face is also covered in frostbite scars, but it's young and certainly, formerly beautiful. His eyes are an inhumanly deep amber color.
He seems to sense your incomprehension. Tilting his head to the side, he seems to wait for something, as if listening to far-off music.
"You gotta think, you know? Else you'll never get there. He got there, you know. And the dead did. But they had help, and he did it it all alone."

Search for the key of this lock around the kitchen. If successful, open the door and carefully look inside, using nightvision. If can't find it, close my normal eye and switch thermal vision mode and continue wandering to the second floor.

If any kerosene lamp or other movable light source occasionally comes in sight, take it.

There's enough light coming from the windows, but you remember seeing a flashlight somewhere back in the room. You return and grab it, then go and search the kitchen thoroughly.
Sure enough, the key is there, hanging on a pegboard behind the counter. You figure it couldn't be anything really important if it was left there for any kitchen personnel to use at will.
You unlock the trapdoor and look inside, using your night-vision mode. There's a staircase carved out in the earth and floored with wooden boards. There's a light switch on the wall. The nostalgia intensifies. With your normal vision, the darkness in the mouth of the trapdoor seems welcoming, comforting somehow.

Clean rifle, then look around for a spot to test fire it, like a firing range
Rather... empty. Ah well, lets try this out. I wonder if they have any tea in this rat-trap...
With everyone running around preparing, it's not very easy to find a suitable spot to test out your rifle, but eventually you find a tree on the outskirts of the camp, tell everyone not to mind the shooting over the radio, and get to testing.
The scope highlights movement. The crosshairs are graded for distances of up to 1500 meters. The trigger's pull is soft and smooth, though with a sharp clickback. At a distance of 200 meters, it lands all three of the bullets in the burst into one spot, which could be useful for penetrating armor. There's a high-contrast setting and a night-vision setting for the scope, though no thermal. All in all, it's rather handy.
((Maroon is you. Sean speaks in glow:red.))
Design a prosthetic UAV drone, use an eye for the cam and build in a wireless uplink that links directly into my new eyes so I can see through the UAV eyes. Make it as small as possible and prioritize stealth in it's design.

(( He implanted the eyes as well right? GOD DAMN PHONE AUTO CORRECT STOP MESSING WITH ME. Ok I feel better now, but I just realized I've been an idiot and can solve this whole attack problem very easily.))

[4+1] Designing a UAV drone isn't really difficult if you know what you're doing: it's mostly just a propulsion system - in your case, a small, silent rotor - and a control system, which you refrain from linking straight to your brain, instead realizing it as a small remote like those kids use for toy cars. Then you link the feed from the drone's two cameras to your eyes, implanting a radio receiver into one.
The drone looks like a very small - less than half a handspan - and very skeletal helicopter. You tst the eyes and the rotor system - all seems to be operational. You coat it grey and blue in radioreflective paint, so the only thing visible on radar would be its small antenna.

((Yes, your eyes are in place.))

Markus turns around. "Who would be asking, and yes, we did experience radio problems out in the forest. Why, does the bug jam our radios too? How advanced are these things?"
((Sorry, I accidentally colored his speech in limegreen - he usually peaks in teal. I didn't mean to.))
"You see, my guess is that they use some sort of natural wideband radio -" The doc's face screws up in a sort of "what am I saying" grimace. "- to pinpoint the location of each other and the lay of the land, as well as any infected targets. I suppose it's possible to communicate by radio in their radar field, but it would require substantially more signal strength." He brightens up a bit. "At least it means our guests are going to have communication problems."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:24:37 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Rolls of [1] when you need'em.
« Reply #661 on: January 18, 2014, 05:36:31 am »

Build a dozen more and build one thats totally black and big enough to carry the bomb inside it, also stealth coated, get a map and go ask the prisoner to point out his peoples location on it then get a remote trigger for the bomb.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:31:07 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 18, 2014, 06:02:57 am »

Dark basement. Filth. Rats. Dozens of unwashed bodies, all tossed in one huge pile to save precious warmth. No other way to live in winter in Nahodka. It is freezing outside there, and the basement is below the level where the earth itself is frozen into crunching brown brick.
And here, he read books. He took them from local library, and he was able to do so only because the librarian, an old woman who must be living her second century already, was kind to him. Local book supplies haven't been renewed since... what, 2001? It was the latest date of publishing. And Pyotr was relieved about that. For all those books told him of things happened long, long before his birth, but the surroundings described in books still resembled his present condition.
He almost heard the whirring of Messerschmidts over the orphanage in snores of elder ones and the sounds of mighty "Hurrah!" in the sound of wind moaning in chimneys.

It takes more and more attention to keep himself in real space rather than in past. Chester switches off his night vision and turns the flashlight on. It is still uncomfortable to use his prosthetic eye. But still, it works properly in field conditions, which is surely good.

- Chester here. I'm descending to the basement. Any news? Sean? Miss Kathryn?
If no response requesting my immediate presence comes, descend to the basement with my flashlight and pistol steady. If it comes, run there like hell drawing shotgun by the way. Just because this place makes me nervous.
Also, check all of my equipment to be at my side. Just in case.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:05:55 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 18, 2014, 06:42:00 am »

BOTH OF YOU! GET THE FUCK BACK HERE NOW!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 18, 2014, 06:43:35 am »

McGaw heard a voice in her ear.

She answers in a slurred, almost drugged voice.

@Sean and/or anyone who contacts me

"Caretaker, I am fine. I just stepped out for a bit of fresh air. I'll get back on the project as soon as I can. I promise to do good for Bioglo. For you."

She turns to the figure.

"Who got where? Where do I need to go? I need more data for proper analysis...

Errant project result multiplied by time que's spent can lower my score-I'm at sixth place you know. Just one short of the five. It vexes me. I want to do good for the company. Can you help me?"

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 18, 2014, 07:38:46 am »

FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Head for where I last saw McGaw.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:43 am »

((Well, I  wrote my actions for that case.))
- Oh, shhhhh...
Looks like something affects her the same way it affects me. It may be dangerous. Better go check. Fuck, run and check!
Run outside (for reason of sounds of moaning wind heard while she responsed) drawing shotgun by the way and look around for McGaw
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:53:38 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 18, 2014, 09:20:30 am »

"I like this gun!"
Wander back in, see whats going on and look for a new job to do.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 18, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »

McGaw heard a voice in her ear.

She answers in a slurred, almost drugged voice.

@Sean and/or anyone who contacts me

"Caretaker, I am fine. I just stepped out for a bit of fresh air. I'll get back on the project as soon as I can. I promise to do good for Bioglo. For you."

She turns to the figure.

"Who got where? Where do I need to go? I need more data for proper analysis...

Errant project result multiplied by time que's spent can lower my score-I'm at sixth place you know. Just one short of the five. It vexes me. I want to do good for the company. Can you help me?"

He seems to be slightly confused by your question. "Yes. No. Help you, yes. Who? He. The one you see. He got into the..." Again a pause; the same intent tilt of his head. "The Downbelow. Dark and then darker. I am there, there I wait. He cannot show you, though - he found his way through..." Another pause. "A grave. He dug down first, you see, to hide his mate's meat from scavengers. Then he found. Then he dug up again, later. Then his other ones filled it with earth again. You could look in low places...dug out. Storage, yes? Walls are thinner." He pauses again, seemingly in confusion. "Other ones called him Mitya. In his head, he said he was I, but he wasn't. Why did he call himself I? I think I broke him. I didn't mean to!" He stares at you in puzzlement: the expression on his face reminds you of the ones your colleagues used to get when they got results they couldn't explain. "Do you say you're I, too? Yes, you do, of course you do. You will do good for I...for...us?" The word seems to come to him with some difficulty, like he doesn't fully understand the meaning.
FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Head for where I last saw McGaw.
((Well, I  wrote my actions for that case.))
- Oh, shi...
Looks like something affects her the same way it affects me. It may be dangerous. Better go check. Fuck, run and check!
Run outside (for reason of sounds of moaning wind heard while she responsed) drawing shotgun by the way and look around for McGaw

Chester bursts through the door on one end of the corridor, while Sean appears on the opposite end. They exchange quick glances, then Chester points to the door, and Sean nods. Moving quickly, they clear the entrance and survey the scene outside: McGaw's trail leads in the direction of the cemetery. Sean overtakes Chester quickly, moving in large, nimble leaps. Soon, he can see both McGaw and the figure on the wall - a ragged blond youth in the one-piece uniform of an SC colonist, though both the uniform's sleeves and legs have been torn off at the elbow and knee respectively, leaving his horribly mutilated limbs open to the biting wind. The figure turns its head to stare at him inquisitively.
"You move quickly, but unwillingly. Why don't you listen, if you came all the way here?"
Chester catches up with Sean in a few moments, huffing loudly, his shotgun held ready.
"I like this gun!"
Wander back in, see whats going on and look for a new job to do.
The preparations for the upcoming attack seem to be going on: weapons are being distributed, several hoverbikes have been assembled, and some people seem to have mounted a stationary turret on a hillock behind a small log wall. It's not much, but better than nothing. When you ask around, you discover that there are two schools of thought in relation to the attack: one seems to think that it would be prudent to retreat or negotiate, believing that they have no chance against an obviously superior force. The other either believes diplomacy to be useless - after all, haven't the Cybersun folks already killed half of you over this matter without provocation? - or refuses to consider any peaceful outcome. Franz has acquired a Desperado somewhere, and grimly swears to murder every son of a bitch that gets in range.
Having conducted this little survey, you get back inside, and find Matveenko crouched over his tablet, swearing under his breath. He looks up at you. "Say, you look like you're looking for work." You nod assent. "Well. Team McGaw isn't answering, and their transponders don't show up on the map - the marks vanished after they approached Yermakov Ostrog close enough to see, so I've a mind to send someone to check on them - not engaging anything, just report and be off." You open your mouth to speak, but he waves you down. "Yeah, I know, I know. Why would I send somebody if radio communication is impossible? Well, I'm gonna give you a laser comm device - it sends pulses of light to the relay drone which is going to be flying halfway between you and the camp, then the drone sends those down. It's usually done by sat, but we have no time for that." He gets a foul-looking dog-end out of his breast pocket and lights it. "We have put some hoverbikes together - it can carry two, as it is. So, you going alone, or do you want someone to go with you?"

((DAF, if you're getting bored with all the talky talk, you can go with Aseaheru.))

Build a dozen more and build one thats totally black and big enough to carry the bomb inside it, also stealth coated, get a map and go ask the prisoner to point out his peoples location on it then get a remote trigger for the bomb.
[2]"A dozen" is tricky, but you manage to cobble together six more mismatched flying things. Each of them is big enough to carry the bomb, which is only briefcase-sized. Two of them, the first and one other, are big enough to carry it without being slowed down.
There's a map on your tablet, with the location of the Cybersun camp already circled in overview mode. It's a thousand ninety-two kilometers from your location, which is why the Cybersun guys are taking so long to arrive.
You open the briefcase; inside is a panel with settings for timed detonation, and, to your great surprise, a remote which allows detonation from a distance. Well. It looks like some people, at least, know what they're doing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:40:52 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 18, 2014, 01:21:39 pm »

"What attack is everyone geting ready for again? I was kinda out of it for a bit. Ill go with someone if they are willing. Wheres the bike?"
Wait for a bit, check the bike, see if someone else is heading with me. Oh, and dont froget to grab the comms unit and some gear, like a medkit, a good coat and a MRE.

Holley missing ] thingie batman!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:40:58 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »

Approaching the scene in a short while after jump-y Sean, Chester sees a strnge frostbitten person. Judging by his uniforms, he presumes it is one of the colonists.
He points shotgun at him.
- Ты! Спустись! Руки за голову!
((As I understood, he was kinda sitting up somewhere, right?))
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:55:25 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 18, 2014, 02:04:51 pm »

Put the bomb inside the original drone, send it and the other drones to the enemy camp under cover of darkness. Have them stay high and use nightvision to avoid detection and give me a clear view, 1 drone is to find the enemies attack force and follow it.

(( Do we have a radio frequency for the enemies camp? ))
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:32:18 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2014, 02:06:11 pm »

McGaw turns to Chester with a look of childish alarm.

"Wait, don't hurt him! We need to understand, not destroy. There's been too much killing...so much pain...here, and before..."

She turns to the figure again, transposing herself between Chesters line of fire and the figure.

"I need more information. What happened to Mitya and his others? Are the all...dead? And what is your nature? Who are you?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2014, 02:37:38 pm »

Chester turns the barrel up for just a moment and gently pushes McGaw aside.
- Sure, miss McGaw, right after I make sure he is not a potential threat, because he looks like one to me.
Chester points his gun at stranger again, making sure McGaw is not on the fireline this time, but keeping distance. Now as the figure is in his sight, he continues to speak to McGaw without turning his gaze from it.
- Well, let's call things their names. He looks like a zombie, and back on Earth the mass culture and military authorities teach us to shoot'em. I'm respecting your order, so I do not put some lead insisde it right now. But I'm preparing for the worst situation.
Now he adresses that figure:
- Ты! Отвечай на вопрос!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:43:45 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 19, 2014, 05:48:28 am »

HE MOVES AND I PUT HIM IN THE GROUND!
Match actions to words.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 54