Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58747 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of survival in a new home.
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2013, 02:53:42 pm »

Shut down the arms power source to disable the bomb then remove it.

(( The bombs trigger has to be powered by the arms battery right? ))
((The arm is powered by the your bioelectricity, stored in capacitors.))
[3] Deciding to forgo tinkering, you remove the power module entirely. The countdown stops.
You examine the bomb, thinking about how best to remove it. To your consternation, you find that it's wired to the input processor - in fact, the processor is probably inside the bomb's case. You may attempt to take it apart, but that will be risky, and you're sure that it will start counting again once powered up. Maybe you can replace the processor entirely...
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2013, 03:00:33 pm »

Replace the entire processor with one of equal or greater power from another arm.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »

"Another point for my relative sanity, then. I spent my youth raised in a Bioglo children's creche in an undisclosed location. I had no home then, or after. No place I felt tied down to. Boreas is as much my home now as Earth was."

He gives McGaw a long look.
- I hope you won't be offended if i would say that it's rather hard for me to understand to you. Not literally, of course - the words you say and the ideas they bring are as clean as distilled water. But your mind - that's not a human's mind. Not like it is a bad thing, after all, looks like you've proven yourself to be an extremely sufficient worker in one of Earth's biggest corporations, but... Ah, nevermind that whole little speech. Once more, i hope you're not offended, i guess you're my boss for now, after all...
He checked all the pockets of his longcoat again, and after a minute he extracted a crumpled pack of cigarettes and a box of matches. The cruplmpled pack was looking like it has made all the way from Earth in the pocket of longcoat (it actually did), but unfortunately, there were just three cigarettes left inside.
- Don't you mind if i smoke?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:12:08 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »

"While I do appreciate that, sir, I'm not anywhere near as brave as anyone else who embarked on this journey. I'm just doing my job. If I could have a few men or women tag along to help with the fishing, that would be great, but I'm not expecting much more than you have already given."

Wait for a response, then head outside.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2013, 03:24:11 pm »

Replace the entire processor with one of equal or greater power from another arm.
You disconnect the bomb and get an input processor from among the spare parts. You see that the port for the processor on the D.I.A arm is different from the others, but you aren't about to let that stop you.
[6] You wire the processor directly to the input circuits. You are quite certain it's even better that way. Putting the arm back on, you try a few flexes.
Whoa. WHOA. It looks like the limiter was somewhere in the port. The hand moves with a speed that is barely possible for your brain to process. On the positive side, you're quite sure that if you punched a fucker in the face, they would have to identify him by DNA. And you have an extra bomb now.

"While I do appreciate that, sir, I'm not anywhere near as brave as anyone else who embarked on this journey. I'm just doing my job. If I could have a few men or women tag along to help with the fishing, that would be great, but I'm not expecting much more than you have already given."

Wait for a response, then head outside.
"I dunno, work assignments are not my thing. Go ask around in the mess, maybe someone'll go with you."
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »

"It's incredibly difficult to offend a person without emotional bias. Maybe I am less than Human. But in giving up that ideal, I became something greater. It's not entirely different from how a soldier sacrifices much of their own life to become a tool for war-perhaps my choice was not my own, but I am only a single person, and if the things I discover can help many others, it is worth it, is it not?"

She looked at his cigarette and nodded.

"...You know. Of the many earth plants we collected for possible distribution onto Boreas, that plant you are smoking was not one of them-I believe that is the scent of actual tobacco, which is certainly rare enough on Earth. The plant itself was deemed non-viable, a cash crop with no productive use.

I'd say you are probably smoking the last three real cigarettes in a few thousand light years. Does that trouble you?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:06 pm »

Run the deep scan.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:03:29 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2013, 03:39:34 pm »

"It's incredibly difficult to offend a person without emotional bias. Maybe I am less than Human. But in giving up that ideal, I became something greater. It's not entirely different from how a soldier sacrifices much of their own life to become a tool for war-perhaps my choice was not my own, but I am only a single person, and if the things I discover can help many others, it is worth it, is it not?"

She looked at his cigarette and nodded.

"...You know. Of the many earth plants we collected for possible distribution onto Boreas, that plant you are smoking was not one of them-I believe that is the scent of actual tobacco, which is certainly rare enough on Earth. The plant itself was deemed non-viable, a cash crop with no productive use.

I'd say you are probably smoking the last three real cigarettes in a few thousand light years. Does that trouble you?"

A faint smile seemed to show on Chester's face. His zippo's wheel struck a few times before the sparks ignited the petrol fumes. He lit one.
- Well, I guess not. That's how I supposed them to be used.
He drew down, then let the fume out of his nostrils.
Last smoke in a few thousand light years...
- Want some?
He, actually, guessed what the answer would be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:04:35 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »

Run the deep scan, while it's running begin work on an interface system between the arm and my brain directly.

(( The human brain is infinitely faster then human reaction speed, so if I set a direct interface I should be able to use the arms full potential right? ))
((I don't think I read you. The arm already interfaces with your brain as deeply as a real arm would. The problem is that it moves too fast for you to react. You see, when you move your arm to grab an object IRL, you expect it to arrive to the object in a certain amount of time, so you can pull it back. The D.I.A arm moves several times faster than you expect it too. I'll put it that way: if you tried to catch a ball thrown at you now, you would end up waving your arm around before it cleared even half the distance.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »

Go ask around in the mess for fishers.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2013, 03:48:44 pm »

(( Ahh I didn't think we were that advanced. Will I adjust my perception in time as I get used to the arm? ))
Caine's law.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2013, 03:51:50 pm »

(( Ahh I didn't think we were that advanced. Will I adjust my perception in time as I get used to the arm? ))
((Yes, of course. You'll break a fair amount of glasses before then, though. Just don't scratch your nose.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2013, 04:02:23 pm »

(( Ok I'll edit my turn just do the scan for now. ))
Caine's law.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2013, 04:13:36 pm »

A faint smile seemed to show on Chester's face. His zippo's wheel striked a few times before the sparks ignited the petrol fumes. He lighted one.
- Well, i guess not. That's how I supposed them to be used.
He drawed down, then letted the fume out of his nostrils.
Last tobacco fume in a few thousand light years...
- Want some?
He, actually, guessed what the answer would be.

"Yes, actually-though, not for the reason you might think.

I can use a single one of those cigarettes (assuming they are real) to synthesize it's genome-a fresh, healthy sample. I can then crossbreed and acclimate tobacco seeds that will thrive in the Borean soil. I am almost the only person among either our vessel or the Jah's Home with the knowledge of how to do this. Even, it might take almost 10 years for the first healthy plant to grow outside of a lab. By then, I'll likely have more than a few students of the craft.

For at least that time, unless circumstance takes me, a person like myself is the most likely to succeed. You might smoke natural tobacco again in your 40's. I can have a lab ready sample much quicker, though it will likely not be terribly appetizing.

Now, apply this lesson to other things-such as fresh tomatoes or threaded beef. The effect of the radiation that comes from our new sun on our genome. Or the cataloging of the numerous Borean virus's which are running in your bloodstream at this very moment. It's my job to study these things-to make sure we, and our coming generations acclimate to the world, instead of forcing it to change to us-a battle we attempted on Earth, and ultimately failed.

You call me less than a human, and perhaps that is true, but would you trust something so important as the building blocks of not only your life, but all life to come, to anyone or anything less than someone like me?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »

Put on equipment, and begin digging a well. We'll need water.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54