Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58677 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of survival in a new home.
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2013, 11:37:57 am »

(Profession bonuses.)
"Thanks. Where do we report in for work? Oh, and is there any beer around?"

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:29 am »

((Profession bonuses))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:20 am »

(Profession bonuses.)
For work, just hang around: there's trouble with Jah's Home, so we'll be sending the hover to their landing site as soon as we get a team together. A few people with guns would come in handy. As for beer, head five floors up to the mess hall. It's not messed up enough yet."
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:11 am »

(Profession bonuses.)
For work, just hang around: there's trouble with Jah's Home, so we'll be sending the hover to their landing site as soon as we get a team together. A few people with guns would come in handy. As for beer, head five floors up to the mess hall. It's not messed up enough yet."
"Perfect."
Head on up to alcohol and happiness.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »

Chester reminds of himself in a most unexpected way:
- Sir, can I be allowed to use tools that would allow me to work with raw materials? Wood, iron, steel. I'll need those too. By tools, I mean, generally, the milling machine, chainsaw, abrasives, an anvil and a high-temperature oven? I also would be fond of that service exoskeleton, like the one you just gave to this gentleman, - pointing at the guy with the mining laser.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »

Go to my lab and study the D.I.A arm to determine how it works and what it does.
You remember that most of the cybernetics equipment was stashed on the eighth of the ship's nine floors. Perhaps your workplace should be there, too. You ascend to the eighth floor by elevator.
It's dark. You snap your fingers, and the lights come on.
The circular interior of this floor is divided into four sections. Three are full of crates. The fourth is neatly cleaned. There is a table with a selection of tools on it for manual repairs, and a computerized maintenance rack for more delicate work. Several crates are stashed along the far wall. You check: spare parts, mostly, though there are a few assembled prosthetics there. All in all, it should do nicely.
There is a note stuck in the vice that is bolted to the table. It reads, "Live long and prosper."
You flex your right arm. You feel the switches there, right under the metal: three of them. You aren't about to start pressing them yet, though, so you take the limb off and put it into the maintenance unit's clamp. The display lights up. Tapping a few keys with your left hand, you disconnect the armor plating on th D.I.A arm.
You look at the display. Three auxiliary neural links are visible.
One is connected to what you immediately identify as a capacitor, which is connected to several conductive strips that run down to the fingertips. You suppose that it allows you to deliver electric shocks on touch. There is some sort of box near it, but you don't know what it could be.
Another link runs to a servomotor which connects to a long tube. You think it's a projectile weapon of some kind, maybe a pistol. With a size that small, it can hardly be anything else.
The third one is connected to an insulated black box. You don't have the slightest idea what's inside. Maybe a scanning array of some sort? Anyway, you may have to activate it to see.
((Note to Pat: I do not show research rolls.))

"Perfect."
Head on up to alcohol and happiness.
You walk up the stairway to the fifth floor. The huge circular space has been cleared except for large crates, which serve as tables, and an array of folding chairs and smaller containers which serve as chairs. Half the lights have been turned off. The effect is rather homely: the whole improvised aspect is nice and genuine.
The bar is the chest-high crate in which one of the hydroponics modules was shipped. You  approach it and drum your fingers. The bartender, a tired-looking man in his mid-twenties, approaches and asks you what'll you be having.
"We have vodka, beer, tequila, mulled wine, and half a bottle of curacao. How buzzed do you wanna get?"

Chester reminds of himself in a most unexpected way:
- Sir, can I be allowed to use tools that would allow me to work with raw materials? Wood, iron, steel. I'll need those too. By tools, I mean, generally, the milling machine, chainsaw, abrasives, an anvil and a high-temperature oven? I also would be fond of that service exoskeleton, like the one you just gave to this gentleman, - pointing at the guy with the mining laser.

Matveenko lifts an eyebrow at you. "So, d'you want to join the woodcutters or something? You could have the saw and the exo then. There's a milling unit in the factory, so you can make or modify the parts you need. Problem is, we don't have any raw materials yet. We'll have to get wood, oil, metals, uranium..."
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »

Mcgaw nods to Al Radi. He was certainly a nice man /to be close to/, she thought distractedly.

"I'll cut to the point. I've been hearing that the Jah's Home is out of contact-well, the pods anyway. Is it true they are fashioning a team to investigate?

If so, I'd like to be on it-and I'm not sure if we've got a command structure up yet, so I'm coming to you first.. Without my lab I'm not very useful anyhow...I don't want you to think I'm reckless, but I do want to be useful. The team might need a medic on sight. Personal, I think there may have been a malfunction in the cryo systems, maybe they didn't engage yet...it might have been a error in the chronometers. They could all still be asleep.

But, who knows, right?"

She remembered it was polite to smile at that point, or maybe it wasn't in this situation...and attempted to do so nevertheless.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2013, 03:58:59 pm »

Request geophysical prospecting equipment, climbing kit, and some kind of rifle from the QM.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2013, 04:39:18 pm »

Do a full inventory of all prosthetics that are already built, split up civilian models from military models.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:42:39 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2013, 04:41:28 pm »

- Disappointed to hear that.
Chester makes a pause, then looks up at Matveenko.
- Your guess about the woodcutters is good enough. I guess I'll do this kind of job just after helping those newly-arrived fellas with some mess about Jah's Home. I was planning to make m'self some arms of my own, but it looks like business here calls for immediate action, so I'll wait with that. But here, have a look - those belles are my favorites. - he took several folded pieces of paper out of his pocket, unfolded some of them and showed them to Matveenko. Those were schematics of guns, a big bold hand-written headline above first schematic said "Colt 1911" and the second seemed to be some kind of extremely old bolt-action rifle of German origin - at least, it's hard to presume that any other nation would call a rifle Mauser Gewehr 98. Both had detailed descriptions on each detail apart and a short assembling instruction.
- Do not mind if i change my request for now? I'll need Izhmash, SMG, ammo for both, service exoskeleton to bear all this weight for a long trip to the broken ship and a survival knife - you know, those 8 inches of steel that are soldiers' last hope?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:04:52 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2013, 05:22:50 pm »

((I'm gonna go sleep now - update in eight hours or so. Too sleepy to write.))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:59 pm »

"I'll take a bottle of vod, thanks. Anything or anyone around here I should see before getting sloshed?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2013, 11:28:27 pm »

Markus looks around tentatively before decided that he did not need all of these complicated materials. Instead, he was going to work with stuff that he knew how to work with.

"Um, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if someone has reported the fishing conditions in this area. Maybe I'd like to get some fishing set up, and if not, I'll make it happen eventually."

Ask for the fishing conditions, as well as fishing supplies.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2013, 06:57:21 am »

"I'll take a bottle of vod, thanks. Anything or anyone around here I should see before getting sloshed?
The bartender hands you a bottle. The label reads "Президент". One of the twenty-first century Russian presidents is staring at you from it, his expression unreadable.
"Nothing too important. Just don't get too drunk: if you're unconscious when the rescue team departs, you'll miss out on all the action. Oh, yes, and should you desire to pray at the porcelain altar, the latrine's downstairs."

- Disappointed to hear that.
Chester makes a pause, then looks up at Matveenko.
- Your guess about the woodcutters is good enough. I guess I'll do this kind of job just after helping those newly-arrived fellas with some mess about Jah's Home. I was planning to make m'self some arms of my own, but it looks like business here calls for immediate action, so I'll wait with that. But here, have a look - those belles are my favorites. - he took several folded pieces of paper out of his pocket, unfolded some of them and showed them to Matveenko. Those were schematics of guns, a big bold hand-written headline above first schematic said "Colt 1911" and the second seemed to be some kind of extremely old bolt-action rifle of German origin - at least, it's hard to presume that any other nation would call a rifle Mauser Gewehr 98. Both had detailed descriptions on each detail apart and a short assembling instruction.
- Do not mind if i change my request for now? I'll need Izhmash, SMG, ammo for both, service exoskeleton to bear all this weight for a long trip to the broken ship and a survival knife - you know, those 8 inches of steel that are soldiers' last hope?
Matveenko fixes you with a heavy stare. "So, you came here to do kinetic historical reconstruction. Let me guess, back on Earth, nobody would let you shoot stuff with guns that are three  hundred years old?" He shakes his head, his expression both amused and tired. "The problem with being quartermaster is that the grunts think you guard a mystic treasure trove of everything they can imagine. Back in the army, a guy once tried to requisition the meaning of life. Well, good luck with that." He hands you the sniper rifle in a long case, three mags of ammo, the SMG, a mag of pistol bullets, and [3] a rather battered service exo. "Make sure to give it back later." He also hands you a knife: there's a compass in the handle, and it looks like it unscrews.

Markus looks around tentatively before decided that he did not need all of these complicated materials. Instead, he was going to work with stuff that he knew how to work with.

"Um, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if someone has reported the fishing conditions in this area. Maybe I'd like to get some fishing set up, and if not, I'll make it happen eventually."

Ask for the fishing conditions, as well as fishing supplies.

"Fishing, eh. Brave man. We are planning to fab a ship for fishing on the sea later - it doesn't freeze over completely, water's much saltier than back on Earth - as for river fishing, I have all you need." He vanishes into the shelves, then return with two incendiary grenades, a coil of strong rope, a rusty metal hook, a knife, and a small metal case. "Use the nades to melt the ice - just dig a small hole in it with the knife, then plunk a nade into it, set the timer to ten, run. There's freeze-dried meat in the case, for bait. Keep your pistol at hand in case the catch doesn't cooperate." He looks at you with a new respect. "You brave, brave man."

Request geophysical prospecting equipment, climbing kit, and some kind of rifle from the QM.
He hands you a magnetometer, a Geiger counter, and a chemical analysis kit: you check inside - alizarin, potassium thiocyanate, sodium hydroxide, copper sulphate, concentrated sulfuric acid - looks like you'll be looking for aluminum, iron, and nitrates. Then you receive a climbing harness, a bag of stakes, an icepick, a large coil of rope, and several carbines. Lastly, the quartermaster hands you an SMG and a few mags of ammo. "You might wish to find the guy I gave the mining laser to. Damn hard to prospect in this snow."

Do a full inventory of all prosthetics that are already built, split up civilian models from military models.
You spend some time picking through the crates. When you're done, you know that there are nine pairs of arms, five pairs of legs, two hearts, and not a single military prosthetic. Damn.

Mcgaw nods to Al Radi. He was certainly a nice man /to be close to/, she thought distractedly.

"I'll cut to the point. I've been hearing that the Jah's Home is out of contact-well, the pods anyway. Is it true they are fashioning a team to investigate?

If so, I'd like to be on it-and I'm not sure if we've got a command structure up yet, so I'm coming to you first.. Without my lab I'm not very useful anyhow...I don't want you to think I'm reckless, but I do want to be useful. The team might need a medic on sight. Personal, I think there may have been a malfunction in the cryo systems, maybe they didn't engage yet...it might have been a error in the chronometers. They could all still be asleep.

But, who knows, right?"

She remembered it was polite to smile at that point, or maybe it wasn't in this situation...and attempted to do so nevertheless.
"Your devotion is admirable, doctor, and I'm sure we could use someone who can keep a clear head at the landing site. You can have the hover and a few soldiers. In fact, I was planning to ask you to lead the rescue party myself."

((Well, yes, I cannot count to eight. So?))
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:32:43 pm by Avis-Mergulus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2013, 07:02:11 am »

"Got it."
Head back to the armoury/requisitions office. Get a machete/hatchet. Then look for some place with that looks like it's in charge. If that cannot be found, just roll to decide which other character I run into.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 54