Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58609 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - an RTD of survival in a new home.
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2013, 04:34:00 pm »

Alright, let's recap: Dr.McGaw organizes rescue efforts and pilots hovers, Will tries to dislodge his pod from the tree, Sean waits for help, Jacques goes to help Sean, Marcus moves towards ground zero, and Alex looks around and walks up the hill.
Am I right?))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

(My action is correct.)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »

((Yep!))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »

(( Yup. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2013, 07:11:23 pm »

((Well, I'll just write it now and edit it if something turns out wrong.))
Turn one

Will
[4] You jump up and down in your pod, hoping to dislodge it from the tree, but to no avail. You sway from side to side, but the stubborn capsule doesn't budge. You curse heartily, making sure to mention the factory that produced it, the engineer who designed it, Flatulus, the god of wind and farts, whose fault the current situation is, and the engineer's elderly mother. The design of the pod is truly retarded in some places - no manual overrides, who'd have thunk it? A single button for disconnecting the chute from the pod, and you wouldn't be stuck here looking like a git. You stomp your foot in frustration.
A branch creaks and snaps. Then another. You catch the drift just in time to grab on to rails near the door. The pod drops down and thumps into the snow. Your only injury appears to be a bitten tongue.
[2]Then, you hear a chittering noise, somewhat like a child's laughter, but with a eerie, chitinous note to it. And another, slightly to the side of the first. It looks like your fall has attracted some attention.

Markus
[3] You ready your pistol - a blue dot appears in your field of view, as well as a small, unobtrusive ammo counter. 14/14. That's reassuring. Apparently, your glasses are fully functional.
You half-walk, half-slide down to the river through the deep snow. Setting your feet firmly down on the ice, you flip the pickup switch in your headphones, and listen. Every noise seems suddenly amplified tenfold. You hear branches cracking, the wind blowing, something scurrying beneath the snow, the whoosh of a hover engine starting - but nothing suspicious. You walk forward, feeling calmer.
[4] After some ten minutes of walking, the forest ends. The river runs out into the plain under an arc of massive trees, their twisting limbs covered in bluish needles. This is a truly astonishing sight - the shade of the forest shifting suddenly to the radiant glow of the open plain. Few people on Earth have ever seen so much sky.
You step through the gate confidently. You're heading home.
In a minute or so, you come upon a hole in the ice of the river, some twenty meters across. In the middle, a pod floats.

Jacques

[3] With a sigh, you begin climbing down the hill. It is not as easy as it first seemed - there are boulders and lichen-covered plates of rock everywhere, and they are treacherously slippery. Nevertheless, you do climb down, clearing the last few meters sliding on your butt, struggling with the urge to whoop like a kid.
[1] You wade through waist-deep snow to get to the river. Due to Boreas' lower gravity, snow takes longer to pack and compress, and is generally fluffier than back on Earth. Wading through it is fun - white clouds of it puff up around you.
Your smile is wiped off your face as you feel a burning pain in your ankle, just above the boot. Cursing, you reach down. Your fingers close around a wriggling, slippery shape. In instinctive revulsion, you yank hard and tear it off your foot, but manage to keep yourself from flinging it away. Instead, you lift it up to examine it.
The creature is about thirty centimeters long, with strong jaws, a scaled worm-like body, and four long fins, like a fish's flippers, but longer and broader. You guess that it uses those to "swim" through deep snow. It squirms and wriggles in your grasp, but is unable to bite you.

Alex

[3] You look around, but most of the landscape is covered in deep snow, so there are no sticks to be found. You think for a second, then begin digging down. Aha! Under the snow, the hard soil is covered in some sort of moss-like plant. You fish around in your pockets, and smile as your fingers close on a small rectangular box. Even though there are no flares in the kits, at least whoever designed them thought to include a box of matches. You believe you could ignite the moss, if you gathered enough of it. It would involve a lot of digging, but the resultant smoke would be easy to spot.
You shake your head. So that's Plan B; time to develop some Plan A.
[4] You start climbing,and after a few initial setbacks, you reach the hilltop. The forest's to the northeast, and the river is southerly. There's a taller hill to the southeast. Something's on the top, but you can't make out what even with your glasses' zoom function. Could be a partially-obscured pod, could be a weird rock formation. Worth a try, maybe?

Dr. McGaw
You finish your conversation with Al-Radi just in time to see one of the Horizon's sides drop down, forming a ramp. A small human shape climbs inside. The deep sound of a hover engine is heard - you once heard a fiction writer compare it to "the breath of a giant", though in your opinion, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner from Hell - and the machine itself emerges. It is a rugged lozenge of grey metal approximately five meters long, with small windows and a short, stubby muzzle. The hover homes in on your location and stops near you, raising a cloud of snow. Inside is a woman with a buzzcut and sharp, angular features, her cheekbone marked by a thin, long white scar. She smiles at you: to your surprise, she has the friendliest smile you've ever seen on a human being.
"Dr. McGaw, I presume? I'm Williams. You'll be wanting the driver's seat, eh?" She slides to the side, letting you take the stick. You accept and take off.
[4] Despite the vehicle's larger size, piloting it is not much harder than the two-seaters you trained for. Sure, it's slightly slower to turn, and the inertia's higher, but it is nothing you can't handle. Piloting a real craft proves to be an exhilarating experience. The simulators tried to model every aspect the vehicles they represented, but there is just something about the smell of motor oil and new electronics, about the overall feeling of power in the hovercraft, that makes your heart beat a little faster. Williams gives you an understanding look.
"Spiffy, isn't it? A new world and a new ride; what else to ask for?"
[5] You take the hover around the hill, surveying the landscape. In a few minutes' time, you spot a tiny grey speck on another mound in the distance, this one to the northeast of the first. You check the map. It doesn't show a marker there, but you're quite sure it's a human there. Looks like you found the missing Alex Shater. You zip across the plain, and sure, it's him. He climbs in, looking relieved at not having to dig for moss. Turning around, you hurry to the rescue of O'Driscoll, feeling quite heroic.

Sean
Not long after you meet the strange kid, you hear the sound of hover engines in the distance. Soon, the machine itself arrives. A figure leaps out and waves at you.
"Yo, soldier! Enjoying the bath?"
You know her; you sparred with her once before your departure. She has fists like half-bricks, but you still emerged victorious, flattening her on the mat with a powerful throw. The event did much to improve her already quite high opinion of you.
[1]((What'cha do to piss off the RNG?)) She pulls a coil of synthetic rope from her pack and throws one end to you. You catch it handily, and then a totally unexpected thing happens.
A long, slender shape bursts through the thin crust of new ice, slamming into the rope with quite a lot of force. From what you see, it's some kind of fish or dolphin. You don't see a lot, however, because at the next moment the rope stretches taut, throwing you into the water.
It is cold. It is ice-cold! It's colder than the hooks of Hell before the Devil started the fires, and the thought that you're sharing it with a possibly-carnivorous fish doesn't make it any more pleasant. Williams hauls on the rope with all her considerable strength, and you yourself leg it like no tomorrow. In a few seconds, you're on the shore. In another few seconds, you're ushered into the hover, stripped to your underwear, and given a self-heating mug of vitaminized caf from somebody's ration. The whole experience leaves you rather shaken.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »

Dr.McGaw: In the hover, healthy. Inventory: pistol, 28 ammo, ration, standard gear.
Sean: In the hover, healthy. Inventory: pistol, 28 ammo, ration, underwear.
Markus: In the hover, healthy. Inventory: pistol, 28 ammo, ration, standard gear.
Alex: In the hover, healthy. Inventory: pistol, 28 ammo, ration, standard gear.
Jacques: Somewhere between the hill and the river, small bite wound on left ankle. Inventory: pistol, 28 ammo, ration, standard gear.
Will: Beneath his pod in the forest, healthy. Inventory: pistol, 28 ammo, ration, standard gear.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:05:49 am by Avis-Mergulus »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53:31 pm »

" Uhm guys, I'm out of the tree but I'm not alone out here. Something is outside my pod and it sounds hungry. "
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2013, 11:04:51 pm »

((Who 'saved' me?))
"You're moving kinda fast - aren't you gonna buy me dinner before you rip my clothes off?"

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2013, 03:18:28 am »

((Who 'saved' me?))
"You're moving kinda fast - aren't you gonna buy me dinner before you rip my clothes off?"
((With the rope - Williams, who is an NPC. She speaks in orange. After you got out, collectively McGaw, Williams, Shater, and Calion. I imagined it as a comical scene where they all drag your clothes off, while you flap your hands and yell "Rapists!", but then thought it would mess up the tone and stuff.))
"You can have my coat if you want, princess. Won't that be cute?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 03:42:54 am »

The mechanics of interpersonal relationships were largely alien to Kathryn McGaw, so she merely looked uncomfortable at the situation.

She held a hand to headset then, actually sounding  a bit excited for the first time.

"...sounds like Pod-16 is in trouble. Potential Xeno-Contacts...

Pod-16, hold tight-I suggest you stay in your capsule. Hopefully we'll get there, before whatever it is gets in...sorry, did I say that over the comm?"

She increases speed then, shooting in the direction of Pod-16, feeling an oh-so-familiar blood rush...

Action: Go Help will!

((Hey, I know roughly the real mechanics of hypothermia, which is why we removed his clothes-is the hover warm enough to dry him out the rest of the way?))
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:46:22 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2013, 04:18:36 am »

-snip-
((Hey, I know roughly the real mechanics of hypothermia, which is why we removed his clothes-is the hover warm enough to dry him out the rest of the way?))
((Yup. It's specifically made for use in cold climates.))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2013, 04:47:42 am »

((Who 'saved' me?))
((With the rope - Williams, who is an NPC. She speaks in orange. After you got out, collectively McGaw, Williams, Shater, and Calion. I imagined it as a comical scene where they all drag your clothes off, while you flap your hands and yell "Rapists!", but then thought it would mess up the tone and stuff.))
"You can have my coat if you want, princess. Won't that be cute?"
"Nah - why cover up perfection?"

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:31 am »

"Drink your caf, you smug bastid, or you might spill it on your perfection, and it'll be all blistered."
((I seem to have driven myself into a bit of a predicament - seeing as four of you are in the car, your actions are basically limited to "wait for the doc to drive you there". Do you think I could roll for your collective trip through the forest, Will's action, and Jacques' action, and then we'll resume the normal action-per-person arrangement?))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:34 am »

((Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Also, GM tip! If you can, try to list our status, inventory and locations (if known) and also of the NPCs-most people pay 100% only to their action, and for exampled might glance over the fact I picked him up in my turn, not his.))

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:03 am »

((Also, GM tip! If you can, try to list our status, inventory and locations (if known) and also of the NPCs-most people pay 100% only to their action, and for exampled might glance over the fact I picked him up in my turn, not his.))
((Ah, right. I'll add it to that double post thingy.))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54