Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58502 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

The mission went to hell. The Russians are all gone and some kinda mind-controlling xeno lives there. The other two chose to remain and... Join with it. Once this crisis is resolved, we'll be needing to nuke the fuck out of that thing.
Wander down to the bosses' office, there point out that not all mind-controlling aliums are necessarily evil, and to wait before burning them all. Suggest that we call the other base and point out that all this shit is just hurting us all by reducing the quantity of viable genomes that are able to reproduce.
Al-Radi's face acquires the expression usually seen on people who have been repeatedly thumped with a dusty sack. "Mind-control aliens? What... Could somebody explain this whole thing clearly? I mean... There have been stranger things, but..." His face clears a bit. "As for the genome thing, it's not like we're here to populate the whole of Boreas all by ourselves - we only have to claim the best bits of land for the second wave. Which is what the Cybersun guys are admittedly doing now."
((Small talky update while waiting for Patrick. Probably nothing tomorrow, since I'm not currently writing from my computer.))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bring all my drones back in, requisition assault rifles and grenade launchers if possible and attack them to the drones to turn them into combat drones.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

"A second wave? Thats good to know. But couldent we make a deal with cyberstun where we each get a portion of the planet to settle?"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Probably wouldn't work.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"But it could in theory.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Fine, give it your best shot.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - No McGaw and Chester, you are the aliens.
« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:10 pm »

((Alright, so I don't even have an excuse this time. I was just chillaxing and being lazy.))

"Let's look for something a bit bigger." McGaw that was suggests.

Action: We need more firepower...my present form looks for a more dangerous beast or beasts with which to stop the column.

At the same time, my actual body (I assume I can control all I need to) goes into the Russian base and looks for some communication equipment so I can contact our home base.

((Your consciousness can only be present in one body at a time, but you can make other bodies do tasks that do not require your immediate presence, like search for things, proceed in a certain direction, et cetera. You can freely juggle your consciousness between bodies, but if one of your bodies is fighting, and you go to check on another, which is eating cake, it's gonna end badly.))
[2] You flip through all the bodies available in a kilometer's radius, and there's not really anything suitable around. There are a few more raptor-beasts, a great many birds, some undersnow rodents, but nothing that can stop a column of armor on its own. Regrettable.
[4] In the meantime, your original body searches the Russian base for radios or any other form of comm equipment. After some searching, you find a long-forgotten tablet in the pocket of someone's spare uniform. You turn it on -the menus are predictably in Russian, but you can read that now - you find that you have to concentrate for an instant to recall things you did not learn in your own life. The radio doesn't work: you hear the song of the hive that draws all new members to it - the ones that were bitten and changed, but not yet adapted for proper communication - and the radio is a tinny, metallic note that is drowned out by the song. You don't know if letting it fall silent is possible, or what will happen if you do.
On the other hand, your understanding of the hive's inner workings increases - when one of the smaller insects bites something, the victim's driving instincts, or, in the case of humans, personality, is erased and replaced by mindless aggression and the desire to find the hive and be adapted for control. Obviously, the process is unethical and inefficient for sentient lifeforms.

Fuck beast-controlling. I'm a man with a shotgun.

Head out of the tunnels. Get to the kitchen in Yermakov Ostrog and try to find any decent (non-poisonous) foods, then cook'em and eat'em.

What is so bad about it? I'm nervous, and when I'm nervous, I'm either enraged or hungry.
[1] You head on up to the kitchen. Once there, you approach one of the porridge vats and heave the lid off with a grunt.
Yeeeergh. Some of last week's oatmeal is still there, and several dead rats are floating in it. Just seeing this shit makes you want to roll for sanity. Mitya (let's just call the hive-consciousness Mitya) helpfully explains that he wanted to see what was in, and his human form was busy at the moment, and a chain of unfortunate events led to this development. You hastily slam the lid back in place.
Your appetite is kinda undermined, but in case you still want to eat, there's a field ration in your pack, and you can get a few raptors to catch you rats or something. Still, that was fucking disgusting.

Bring all my drones back in, requisition assault rifles and grenade launchers if possible and attack them to the drones to turn them into combat drones.
[2] The watcher drones at the enemy camp were caught in the blast wave, and some of them are behaving iffily, having trouble with balance and coordination. When they're gonna get back, you don't know, and it's giving you a headache.
[5] The drone that was watching the enemy gets back quickly, landing on the snow before the ship in fifteen minutes or so. When you get back to the armory, Matveenko is gone; there's a sticky note with "Gone to place mines, back soon" on it. Shrugging, you grab a Desperado from a crate behind the counter, scribble a few words on the note, then go to attach it to the drone.
[4+1]The Desperado is an SMG-sized thing with a stubby barrel and a long plastic magazine sticking out of the handle. Removing all the unnecessary ergonomic bits and fitting it to the drone is child's work: it looks like the makers anticipated such a conversion. It even shows the ammo counter in your video feed.

Fine, give it your best shot.
"But it could in theory.
Al-Radi shakes his head as if chasing away flies. "What are you even talking about? They have already demonstrated their willingness to murder us in droves, why should they stop now? They're heading here in APCs...APCs! I never studied for this kind of crap, I'm a Comms&Tech major, not some kind of military tactician! Aliens and murderers, Almighty..!" He wipes his brow with a handkerchief. "What the heck should we do about this all? Thank God Matveenko seems to know what he's doing..."

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - No McGaw and Chester, you are the aliens.
« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

Disgusting. Ratso-s. Dammit. Ah, freck it then.
Alright. Let's sit down and think for a while. Big creatures and complicated control seems to be hard. Maybe something smaller? Like, a bug? Or a thousand bugs? Yeah, may be useful.

Try to recall those bugso-s who infest everyone. Take control of as much as I can at once in order to rush attacking forces.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:17:28 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2014, 04:36:03 pm »

"Well, how about this. You get a line out to them and I will talk to them. That sound slightly better? And if they say no, well, we will make them wish they said yes."
Call the people, try to work out a ciese-fire, because why not.
Otherwise, time to snipe.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 03, 2014, 10:21:45 pm »

Try to find parts to build more of these drones with guns attached. Send out the current one to hit the enemy vehicles. Aim to shoot the engine blocks to disable them and cause crashes.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 04, 2014, 02:22:40 am »

Don't worry; we'll handle this.

Get someone to patch the suit and head on up to a good vantage point with the sniper rifle I scavenged and another rifle.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:50 am »

McGaw consulted her inner workings.

Action: Would it be possible to use animals as carriers for the infector-insects? Could we attack the enemy that way without harming the colony?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 10, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »

Disgusting. Ratso-s. Dammit. Ah, freck it then.
Alright. Let's sit down and think for a while. Big creatures and complicated control seems to be hard. Maybe something smaller? Like, a bug? Or a thousand bugs? Yeah, may be useful.

Try to recall those bugso-s who infest everyone. Take control of as much as I can at once in order to rush attacking forces.
[5] Drawing a deep breath, you spread your consciousness thin, embodying yourself in a horde of skittering bugs, who draw to the armored column from all across the landscape, crawling over plating and glass.
You discover that thinking while controlling the bugs is difficult - the best you can do is retain a destructive imperative: stop the enemy at all costs.
[3] The lead machine swerves, but continues on, undamaged. The hatches are bolted down tightly, the bugs cannot find a way in.
[6] On the second machine, the onslaught of insects is so violent that its engine vent pipes get totally jammed by their mass. The side of the vehicle erupts in a plume of acrid smoke, smothering quite a lot of bugs.
[driver:4] The driver of the third vehicle swivels to avoid the wreck of the second, and succeeds in doing so, only clipping it slightly. [6] However, he manages to slam into the first hover, because his observation window is covered in a blanket of insects. His windshield port shatters, and bugs pour in.
[6 ((Fuck. I intended this encounter to be tough...))] The fourth machine tail-ends the third, and both are stopped dead. Several battlesuit-wearing soldiers burst out, dancing on their long, stilt like legs. Then an incendiary grenade is thrown out of the first hover, and detonates in the air, [enemy:5] clearing the hovers' roofs of insects. A group of infantry climbs out and takes position with their weapons.
[5] The fifth driver loses control, grazing the ground and throwing his jethover into a roll. A window is breached, but it is quickly stuffed with cloth and adhesive foam from the inside.
[4] Your bugs retain purchase on the last APC, which circles around the wreckage. Then a nozzle hisses, and a burst of flame is fired from its turret, [6] scorching your insectile army. A soldier catches fire, rolling off two crashed hovers, and several more look pretty scorched.

McGaw consulted her inner workings.

Action: Would it be possible to use animals as carriers for the infector-insects? Could we attack the enemy that way without harming the colony?
Sure as heck it's possible, and you certainly could. [5] A powerful call resonates through the frozen wastes, only heard by those who share the great mind, and by some unfortunates with radio sets. You gather a veritable horde of raptors from all around, load'em up with bugs, and the whole deal marches on the enemy position.
When you arrive, you see that Chester (Pyotr?) has already started the attack: two hovers have crashed into each other, one is downed, its windshield shattered, two are still operational, and one is lying on its side with all hatches closed and an armor plate lowered over the windshield. The whole scene is covered in a blanket of insects, except for a circle around the two crashed hovers; it looks like twenty or so infantrymen are camping on their roofs, their white carapace armor glistening in the rising sun ((Note; only 24 hours of in-game time have passed)). The remaining two hovers circle around their position, flamethrowers blazing. A few soldiers in battlesuits have taken positions near the overturned hover.

((As for your question of what you can do, it's simple: you can shift your POV between any swarm body, and order any swarm body to do any command. The only limitation is that without your DIRECT CONTROL, a body is only as intelligent as its original host, if not less. So if you order a snow-fish to solve puzzles, and then go back to your original body, the fish is going to be kinda lost. The raptors you are currently commanding understand "ATTACK MURDER KILL" very well, and are pack hunters, so you should have no problem getting them to execute fairly complex strategies.))

"Well, how about this. You get a line out to them and I will talk to them. That sound slightly better? And if they say no, well, we will make them wish they said yes."
Call the people, try to work out a ciese-fire, because why not.
Otherwise, time to snipe.

You borrow Al-Radi's high-powered radio station and dial the frequency he tells you. After some shouting, you hear a frightened voice, interspersed with gunshots and bursts of static.
"Bloody good time to call, friendo." *static* "...whole damned planet, eating us! Cease-fire? Heck yeah!" *static* "...my location. Have the damned uranium, I do not fancy being eaten by bugs and freaking dinosaurs!"

Try to find parts to build more of these drones with guns attached. Send out the current one to hit the enemy vehicles. Aim to shoot the engine blocks to disable them and cause crashes.
[6] There's a box you forgot to check, right behind your workbench. There's another rotor blade inside, along with a gyrostabilizer. Working quickly, you scrounge up another drone, then nip down for a Desperado, which you quickly clamp to the frame.
[1] As the drones travel, a large bird of some sort collides with one, probably mistaking it for prey or something. It is chopped up by the rotor, but the blades are bent badly, and the drone plummets to the ground. The other one arrives: the scene below is a magnificent clusterfuck of crashed hovers, dead bodies, insects, raptors, and fire. Two of the hovers are mashed together, and a group of soldiers is defending them from attack, aided by two operational machines with flamethrowers. Several battlesuit wearers are defending another hover.

Don't worry; we'll handle this.

Get someone to patch the suit and head on up to a good vantage point with the sniper rifle I scavenged and another rifle.
Matveenko directs you down to the vehicle bay; there, you find a grumpy mechanic who takes your suit's helmet and replaces the three cameras, and patches the bullet holes with ceramite paste. You snap the helmet on and lower the cameras. Oh hey. It turns out they provide a fish-eye view, focusing on targets as needed. A blinking menu informs you that the suit's emergency oxygen canister is at 50%.
The rifle you nicked off the dead sniper before has been pinched by one Everett Owen, you are informed, but the quartermaster gives you another GZ-3 out of the goodness of his heart. With it and a Saigon, you climb up onto the roof and listen to all the radio chatter. Owen seems to have reached some sort of agreement with a Cybersun commander, who appears to be in deep copro, judging by all the gunfire. What fun.

Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.
« Reply #778 on: February 10, 2014, 06:36:04 pm »

Send the weapon drone out to patrol a circle around the base 2 miles out. Bring other surviving drones home and upgrade them to match the new one.
Caine's law.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.
« Reply #779 on: February 10, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »

Bleeping phone double sending.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:47:08 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54