Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was your favorite part of the journey?

GOBLINS! AND LOTS OF THEM!
- 0 (0%)
The assassins in the town!
- 1 (11.1%)
Gonzou suiciding!
- 1 (11.1%)
The shadow monster encounters of all kinds!
- 0 (0%)
The mountains!
- 0 (0%)
The werewolf incident with Nadarr, leading to us getting arrested!
- 2 (22.2%)
The bandit camp side quests!
- 0 (0%)
The fortress upper levels! (Necromancers, gate, madmen)
- 1 (11.1%)
The caverns! (Dragon, Cotl, Cave Crocs)
- 2 (22.2%)
The Fortress lower levels! (Maze, Grot/Symon/Gonzou Fight, Husks)
- 0 (0%)
The flesh party that was the final battle!
- 0 (0%)
The epilogue (and the end of almost two years of madness)
- 2 (22.2%)
None! It sucked!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 344

Author Topic: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): 86 Days Remain...  (Read 340994 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): Cotl, The Great Burrower
« Reply #4575 on: August 29, 2014, 11:54:40 pm »

((If I had anything to say I would. But I don't.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: August 30, 2014, 01:43:47 am »

((If I had anything to say I would. But I don't.))
((Last time you said nothing, you left Karl to go check out the dragon himself. Before that? A werewolf ripped apart a guy in front of your face. I'm fairly certain there's going to come a point in time where I'm going to say "ok, they aren't doing anything, here's the wake up call" and have everyone who says "go to the next room" and leave the others behind and then stuff happens for both groups. Beleive me, I was tempted to say "Ok, Karl, Alexander, Nadarr, Cromwell and Thoradin go towards the cave while Weston and Isbat sit there twiddling their thumbs". The thing is I know Isbat in real life and though he doesn't say much on here since he's busy with a lot of RL things, he tries to keep in contact with me through other methods of contact (PMs, etc.) saying "if this happens, do this" and so on and so on. USEC was actually busy though, which is why he went on auto-pilot, but he tried to be active in the party. If this game goes on with my assumptions on what the party does, then it isn't a D&D game anymore; its pretty much me telling you what happens to characters random people came up with. And in that case, the party would probably have died at the first shadow creature encounter, probably got more then half of the party wiped by Archuther (despite being a stereotypical space marine, he metagamed slightly so he didn't kill everyone. If a real space marine came into D&D, there would be a slaughter akin to hitler killing the jews, but in this case, its Archuther killing EVERYTHING NON-HUMAN OR RESEMBLE A HUMAN WITH NO FLAWS. Meaning 99% of the races in D&D die. Dwarves, tall halflings and SOME half-elves would live, but the rest probably die. Also, the party would never have made it out of the mountains, as well as probably fighting and losing a party member or two from the rival party in a fight where no one really wins.

The more you guys interact with things, even doing simple idle things while you wait for the others to do things, like sharpen your dagger, read a book or practice a spell, I commend you for going out of your way doing that. Take Symon for example who, when the party had down time, he went to his temple. Now that he's unfortunatley dead, a quest hook involving his devotion is down the drain. But its things like this I commend and welcome. It IS a Role Playing game, and what would it be without the role playing? It would be an idiot sitting at his laptop rolling a die for something that is almost impossible to be immersed in. Some battles are fun to watch, like the last one, but some of them, like the vryloka fight with bouchart, tend to be like Hydlide where you bash each other until someone falls over and those fights aren't interesting or fun. Its also why I make so many custom monsters because, in the RL D&D game, its tense, epic and fast paced. This one is slow, and most standard enemies have nothing special about them to grasp the attention of you as players. The Burrower, for example, since it died REALLY early, no one got to notice that its fortitude and reflex defences changed as its reach increased or decreased by coming out or going back into the ground. So as you would find it harder to hit with your spells, Cromwell (I think?) would find it easier as some of his attacks target fortitude, and Nadarr wouldn't change at all since will and AC remains the same. I'm always trying to come up with stuff to grasp your interest, and though I do admit, the Wurm was a little rushed due to Hanzoku's thinking, it was probably a huge surprise for the party and made half of you go "oh sh**...". Yes, it was fairly weak, but I had to make it possible to win but still require you all to think outside of "I roll a d20, I smack it, I win" and still having a challenge (with Hanzoku's thinking yet again, after being devoured, he pulls the one thing I didn't expect him to do: push the insides of the wurm out 7 squares in all directions, making it explode). I'm still working on encounters that you haven't even come close to reaching, because its supposed to be some of the more engaging fights. I actually suspect that after some of these encounters, the party will either form a closer bond or have a deep hatred for one another, or even mildly force the characters, and indirectly you as players, into doubting your actions, questioning everything you do from that point on. I'm fairly certain by the end of this fortress, the party will either be close enough to be, instead be a group of blackmailed people and mercenaries from a shady guy in a black cloak, an actual adventuring group.

(And here comes a rant, putting it in a spoiler for you guys since this is already dragging on and I had one of those moments where I just let everything flow without stop)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[/rant]))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: August 30, 2014, 02:20:41 am »

((In all of those cases there was nothing I could do, usually because they moved on before I could even get online to check things out.

Look buddy, if you seriously have that much of a problem with the way I'm playing then drop some rocks on Weston's head and be done with it. I work 60+ hours a week and sometimes its difficult to get online long enough to read one of your long-winded descriptions of things that I can't do anything about, either because I don't have the proper skills or because someone else already took care of them.

And to be honest? No, I really don't care about any of these characters. I can't even be assed to remember which race everyone is. When we inevitably meet yet another shadow-possessed dead person or a horde of shadow creatures I can't bring myself to care. Maybe the sorcerer is just a boring class, but to be honest I don't even care about Weston. He's pretty clearly the fifth wheel of the party, and anything he can do someone else can do better. Except possibly Bluff and Intimidate, but hey when's the last time those have even come up?))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: August 30, 2014, 08:52:43 am »

Nadarr gestures at the party, trying to tell them not to speak, and to make no noise.

He uses ghost sound to project his voice five squares away, next to the wall. Hopefully if it tries to attack, it will do so there.

He speaks through the spell in Draconic, saying:

"Greetings, my kin of old! You asked me to come forward, and so I have. These halls are full of twisted beings, surely not for one with blood as noble as yours."

((Ghost sound transmits voice, right? If not, then discard this post. As for the party splitting, Nadarr would never be the one to do that. He treats the group as a clan away from the clan, though he would never say that. It is frowned upon in Dragonborn society to make such an arrangement with anything other than the clan. Liking doesn't really come into it, though if the group split into two equal parts, he'd go with Karl, being the most familiar with him.))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: August 30, 2014, 01:45:07 pm »

((I think part of the problem is time-zone dispersal, as well as that now while we're in a dungeon crawl, there's less time available for our characters to interact socially without having a round of 'and around the campfire...'

Speaking to the long-term viability of the party, Karl doesn't know many of the people well. He has a wary sort of friendship with Nadarr, he tried to look out for Symon like a big brother, and he had a plot thread going with Aurel which will end when he punches his fist holding his holy symbol into Aurel's chest and fires off a turn undead.

Karl has spoken with Weston a little, but beyond being hunted by shadow creatures, they have little in common. Karl is wary of Alexander because of the whole shadow-thing, and the hints Alexander drops that he has experience with some very dark things. He has no idea who Isbat is really, beyond being someone alive and not filled with shadows. Cromwell is another silent character that Karl just hasn't interacted with much.

Once this scenario is done, Karl would probably head home at least temporarily, as he promised to return with the family heirloom. This whole mission has been sort of a comedy of errors as what was supposed to be a simple out and back to earn some money has become massively complicated.

Now there are plenty of ways to keep the party linked together - sharing a secret or being hunted specifically are strong motivators to stick together, as is being in the right place at the right time to be offered quests that are appealing enough to stay together to complete them, even if only for self preservation. But I wouldn't expect this party to quickly become blood brothers and best friends any time soon. Our characters and their motivations are just too wildly varied to make that easy.

Oh, and I'm surprised that we made it this far before Godwin's Law came into effect. :P But yes, a real Space Marine would have killed the entire party for their non-humaness or their worship of anything but the God Emperor. Half-elves would't have been exempted either, given their human purity was corrupted by eldar taint, etc, etc.

Karl looks forward to the tests of the fortress, though he might not survive them. For some things, faith and duty might mean fighting to the end.

For the Raven Queen.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: August 30, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »

((In all of those cases there was nothing I could do, usually because they moved on before I could even get online to check things out.

Look buddy, if you seriously have that much of a problem with the way I'm playing then drop some rocks on Weston's head and be done with it. I work 60+ hours a week and sometimes its difficult to get online long enough to read one of your long-winded descriptions of things that I can't do anything about, either because I don't have the proper skills or because someone else already took care of them.

And to be honest? No, I really don't care about any of these characters. I can't even be assed to remember which race everyone is. When we inevitably meet yet another shadow-possessed dead person or a horde of shadow creatures I can't bring myself to care. Maybe the sorcerer is just a boring class, but to be honest I don't even care about Weston. He's pretty clearly the fifth wheel of the party, and anything he can do someone else can do better. Except possibly Bluff and Intimidate, but hey when's the last time those have even come up?))
((If I didn't want you in the party, I would've had you killed back in Amn or even said no to you outright. I'm not a DM who goes "I don't like you, so here's something you can't beat, fuck you, have a nice day". I do know that we all have busy days, and some more then others (and I'm on of the others in this case since I lost my job (damn store closures...)). But if you can toss me an email or PM with some instructions on "if this happens, do this" or so on, I'll try to make due. For some of the characters, I got a good feel on how they will act in certain situations. The exceptions in this are Isbat and Weston, because Isbat is new and Weston... Doesn't do much. If you really don't want to play, then by all means, step towards the dragon in the dark before everyone else. I'll make sure there's no chance of revival))

Nadarr gestures at the party, trying to tell them not to speak, and to make no noise.

He uses ghost sound to project his voice five squares away, next to the wall. Hopefully if it tries to attack, it will do so there.

He speaks through the spell in Draconic, saying:

"Greetings, my kin of old! You asked me to come forward, and so I have. These halls are full of twisted beings, surely not for one with blood as noble as yours."

((Ghost sound transmits voice, right? If not, then discard this post. As for the party splitting, Nadarr would never be the one to do that. He treats the group as a clan away from the clan, though he would never say that. It is frowned upon in Dragonborn society to make such an arrangement with anything other than the clan. Liking doesn't really come into it, though if the group split into two equal parts, he'd go with Karl, being the most familiar with him.))

Alexander and Thoradin notice the eye turn towards the sound, still wildly as ever and then resuming to do as it was before. Everyone hears a quick sniff and grunt from the cave.

In draconic, it speaks:

He speaks mockingly at the word kin

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: August 30, 2014, 02:50:54 pm »

Karl motions for the others to begin spreading out. What he has heard of dragons all maention their fearsome breath, and a tight cluster makes a tempting target. Karl himself stays still, touching Siga's muzzle to remain quiet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: August 30, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »

Nadarr shakes his head. He uses his Ghost sound in Karl's ear, making it as low as possible, telling him the dragon obviously wants us in the cave with him before it strikes. He then uses Ghost Sound to make the sound of steps going to where he originally sent the Ghost Sound, then uses Predestigation to make that place smell like himself, and himself to smell like the cave. He then uses Ghost Sound to speak again where he sent it the first time

I did not mean to disturb your rest, Great One. I was only passing through these caverns to a different goal. What is one of the beings of the air doing trapped underground, if I may ask?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:55 pm »

Nadarr shakes his head. He uses his Ghost sound in Karl's ear, making it as low as possible, telling him the dragon obviously wants us in the cave with him before it strikes. He then uses Ghost Sound to make the sound of steps going to where he originally sent the Ghost Sound, then uses Predestigation to make that place smell like himself, and himself to smell like the cave. He then uses Ghost Sound to speak again where he sent it the first time

I did not mean to disturb your rest, Great One. I was only passing through these caverns to a different goal. What is one of the beings of the air doing trapped underground, if I may ask?

You hear sniffing and a more angered grunt again after the darkvision teammates see the eye move towards the sound again

His words, though angered, sound sincere. Alexander and Thoradin both see the eye move about as if the creature itself began to move finally. It doesn't go far though, as you still cannot see the full figure of the dragon, let alone its color

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: August 30, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »

Through the Ghost Sound:

I do not lie to you. I would not dare. I truly am passing through, though gems do call. I cannot deny that, Great One. But still I want to know why such greatness as yours is trapped in the dark vaults of the world. Have you forsaken light?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: August 30, 2014, 05:27:18 pm »

Through the Ghost Sound:

I do not lie to you. I would not dare. I truly am passing through, though gems do call. I cannot deny that, Great One. But still I want to know why such greatness as yours is trapped in the dark vaults of the world. Have you forsaken light?

A couple more stomps are heard and those with low light vision can see an outline but noting else. Those with darkvision see the beast in it's full might as it draws closer, but still far away (70ft) from most of your attacks. You see he has very frail wings that look more like a mutation seen on a dire creature then wings, but it's more muscular and it's eyes are larger. Though he seems small for a dragon, you can tell he's defiantly stronger in his legs.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: August 30, 2014, 05:33:32 pm »

Karl whispers to Madarr urgently What is he saying?" as he holds a sunrod in his shield hand, using the shield to block most of its light as he ignites it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: August 30, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »

Uses Ghost sound to make the sounds of the party moving to stand near to where I projected my voice. Extend the bit where I made my smell over there to the rest of the party, and extend the one making me smell like the cave to the rest of the party too. Have Ghost Sound make the noise of Karl's blade being unsheathed. He quickly relays what was said, and what he intends to say, as quietly as possible to Karl. He speaks through the ghost sound afterwards:

Out of honour for blood, kith and kin, I would not take your gems, or your gold, much as they called to me. Out of respect for my bloodline, I would have had you let us past. But if you wish to forsake entirely your honour, and steal from me as I would not have done from you, I will not obey. My gems are mine. Not yours. Mine. Strength in body your living place may have given you, but weakness in soul and honour it has also rendered onto you.

The last is spoken bitingly, hard.

((Yep, there goes diplomacy. He just asked for my gems :P))
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: August 30, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »

((Well, time to die.))

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: August 30, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »

Karl throws the sunrod towards the advancing dragon to give them all light and unsheaths his sword, raising it and his shield to the ready, a prayer to the Raven Queen spilling from his lips in a low murmur.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 344