Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was your favorite part of the journey?

GOBLINS! AND LOTS OF THEM!
- 0 (0%)
The assassins in the town!
- 1 (11.1%)
Gonzou suiciding!
- 1 (11.1%)
The shadow monster encounters of all kinds!
- 0 (0%)
The mountains!
- 0 (0%)
The werewolf incident with Nadarr, leading to us getting arrested!
- 2 (22.2%)
The bandit camp side quests!
- 0 (0%)
The fortress upper levels! (Necromancers, gate, madmen)
- 1 (11.1%)
The caverns! (Dragon, Cotl, Cave Crocs)
- 2 (22.2%)
The Fortress lower levels! (Maze, Grot/Symon/Gonzou Fight, Husks)
- 0 (0%)
The flesh party that was the final battle!
- 0 (0%)
The epilogue (and the end of almost two years of madness)
- 2 (22.2%)
None! It sucked!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 344

Author Topic: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): 86 Days Remain...  (Read 342077 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): Off Chasing Bandits
« Reply #3420 on: May 25, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »

((Nadarr fixed the enchantment on one sword-effectively,he'll want the payment for that sword in addition. We'll see if he gets away with asking later :P))

Assuming Karl approaches him at some time, he inspects the blade. Arcana check. Also, inspect the sigil and see if I can tell what it is. History check, maybe?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: May 25, 2014, 10:05:54 pm »

((From last time, there's no temples in town, if I recall correctly.))
-snip-

((Covered quite a bit here, but given I'm not around for the day, hopefully that's forgivable.

- Released Aki with the 50 gold Thyra set aside for him. Hopefully he doesn't go around and backstab us - maybe we'll even get an informant for this area out of it. Attempted to arrange it so that as far as his buddies knew, I killed him, letting him get a fresh start without the guards getting on his case.

- Turned in the living bandits and the heads for the bounty. The payment should be evenly split across the party. When Karl meets with the Commander, try to use Diplomacy to negotiate a reward for the information that the bandits harrassing the town are all one group and are being coordinated from the distant encampment.

- Knowledge: Religion check on Cromwell to see if Karl can figure out what's going on with him.

- If it turns into morning, meet with the Commander, then go ahead and start selling all the loot we picked up. Diplomacy on all transactions to sell the nonmagical gear, excluding light sources, anything that would make sense exploring caves/mountains and potions, vials, etc. Keep the unclaimed magical gear for now, in case anyone wants to pick through it. Split the proceeds evenly across everyone.

- Since people are already going to bed, in the morning, ask Weston and Nadarr to inspect his family's sword. Karl won't say anything about the voice he heard, but the sudden enchantment might mean there's more to his sword then he knew.

...and there's more I'd want to do, but I'm guessing Karl sort of needs to have his evening prayers, sleep and morning prayers in there somewhere. :P))
Aki nods his head and says he may do some construction work. He thanks you for your mercy and says that he will repay you someday if he ever sees you again. He screams when you signal him to and then runs off. You take the prisoners to the barracks and the night guard on duty inside commends you for capturing several alive. He counts the 9 heads and the 7 live ones and recognizes the head of the leader. You hand him the bounty papers that Thoradin gave you and he takes the one with Jorg's face out. The papers state 10 accomplices and he tilts his head at the bag and the prisoners. You explain how the bandit groups are together and he swears under his breath.

"If you take out that main camp, and the others, I'll be sure your reward is much larger."

When asked, you tell him that there was 6 of you that took on the bandits and then a seventh joined who was a prisoner of theirs. You leave out some details, but explain what was found at the camp, how many bandits there were, and the cart that was setting off. Just as you say that, another man, whom you didn't see walk in, walks up to you.

"That cart... Its mine. I want it back. I don't care about what else you put on it, but I'm prepared to give you 2500 gold for the cart and the weapons and armor that you found on it when they were taking it away."

(5 vs 9+4 and ?) You almost instantly tell he's lying. The way how he's talking and how he's guessing what's on the cart give him away, you can tell he just wants the cart and to probably make a profit off of your hard work.

The guard speaks before you do. "Take your gold and shove it where the sun doesn't shine, you street rat. This is the third time you've done this and its been me for the second time, the captain himself the first.  I won't tell you again!" The man scurries off.

"Ignoring that scoundrel, here's your payment. And a little extra for keeping a few of the bastards alive. I also appologize for the smell. After that werewolf incident, we've taken the liberty of rubbing wolfsbane in several places. And the door to the barracks is one, another is on a post in the cells. I also took the liberty of splitting up the wealth for you lads."

He hands you several large bags of gold, divided into 7. Each bag contains 190gp 25 silver and 50 copper. You head out and run into Nadarr, scratching his nose and wandering about, looking for a place that doesn't reek of wolfsbane.

((Nadarr fixed the enchantment on one sword-effectively,he'll want the payment for that sword in addition. We'll see if he gets away with asking later :P))

Assuming Karl approaches him at some time, he inspects the blade. Arcana check. Also, inspect the sigil and see if I can tell what it is. History check, maybe?
You tell him about the rune and the blade's magic. He examines it. (19+9) You find out that there is a well of almost limitless power trapped in the blade. You also discover that there are dark energies trapped as well as powerful holy powers. You tell him that, and you can assume there are roughly 8 more "locks" to open before its full power is acheived. You also discover that blood fuels it, as well as certain good deeds. You cannot read the rune, however ((nobody knows dwarven)). You check up on your bottle of dark liquid while you're at it (18+9) You find it to be bottled twilight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Karl starts off with Nadarr to sell stuff as you take a look at the book and (12+11) mithril key. Its a journal about raids and trades amongst the bandit camps. It speaks also of dealing with Shadow creatures and taking one alive as the mages drained its essence into a bottle (the bottled twilight). It also tells of another hoard of buried stuff back at the camp under the firepit ~10ft under inside a coffin. It talks about gold, gems and a very special sword, but it says nothing about what it does; just that it's special. The key is used to open the lock on the coffin... And the key itself is valuable as well. You then history check Karl's blade as you try to find a place still open. (CRIT) You learn as much as you can possibly learn about Karl's family and that the blade has seen battle recently after several generations of hanging up on a wall. Before that, you cannot recall anything else about it. ((I'll let hanzoku deal with sending you information about his family. (send me what you send first so I can tell you if it will reveal too much or if I need to add anytihng. Try to keep it centered on the blade and those who used it)))

Weston breaks in his new deck of cards with some locals.
Meanwhile, Weston begins to try out his new deck of cards with a few of the drunk locals. One of them accuses you of cheating, and says to let him deal the cards so you're not doing any funny business. You comply as he pulls the dagger away from your throat and you still maintain a good profit as you loose a little bit to get him to shut up. He apologizes and hands back the deck and walks out without taking his winnings or bet, face red as a raddish. After a couple hours ((the time it takes for Karl and Nadarr to find out all the stores are closed)) you walk away with a profit of 92 gold.

Go down and get some ale. Sing along with Thyra merrily!
You get some ale for 2gp and chug it. (19 vs 15, 18+2 vs 19) You're drunk but still up and singing... (?) Horribly... Some patrons throw stuff but you're too drunk to care! By the time Nadarr and Karl walk in, you pass out. Thyra shakes her head halfway through her story she is reciting that Alexander was singing gibberish to.

Symon checks how late in the day it is, and if he has time to make a trip to the local temple.
There is no temple here. Its past midnight now and you guess its time to go to bed soon. You can't help but laugh at Alexander's pass out moment, even if it did interrupt Thyra's story. She looks at you every now and then with a smile as she tells the story about the party's problems in the mountains, including what was told before she arrived (in regards to Archuther's arrival, the dire bear, the shadows, her arrival, the horrors found in the mountain maze, the dead dwarf and then the kruthiks).

Alexander, however, starts to talk in his sleep, and a dark aura forms slightly over him. His eyes bolt open and they are black as night, with a dark fog concentrating around them. He speaks in a language no one can understand and then his eyes close and he goes silent, but still radiating that dark aura.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: May 26, 2014, 03:50:38 am »

((Eh, I figured that the stores were going to be closed. That's why I specified the selling trip for the morning. :)

I'll write up a history of the sword for Nadarr ))

Karl thanks Nadarr for what he's helped discover and enjoys Thyra's story, half-listening to it while examining Cromwell. When Alexander begins to speak in tongues with a dark aura glowing around him, Karl is the first to move to him, approaching cautiously as he attempts to use his knowledge of the Raven Queen's religion to figure out what could possibly be going on with their companion.

"Symon, would you mind looking at Alexander as well? You might have a better idea if there's a physical cause to this." Karl says.

((Knowledge: Religion check on Alexander.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: May 26, 2014, 04:48:22 am »

(?) whatever power is holding him, it's definitely a godless power. You wonder if it's even magic or some ancient primal power that none have ever used before. You try and get him off the floor and he jumps awake at the slightest touch, almost ready to hit you, still drunk and very tired.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:35 am »

Take Karl by the shoulder, barely even consciouss and tell him.

"The place you're going.... only death there. Their master..."

Pass out.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:22 am »

Karl blinks and shakes his head before beginning to drag the ranger to his room to sleep it off. "Of course there's only death there, it's a godless pit of necromancers." he can't help but mutter to himself.

((As an aside, we should probably go back for the special sword, wherever we go next. Maybe it stabs shadows extra effectively, something we'd all enjoy having happen.

Update: Sent a first draft of the sword's history to highmax. If he approves, I'll send you a copy after, Nadarr.))
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:02:13 am by Hanzoku »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:24 am »

((Nobody but Nadarr knows of it yet :P))

Nadarr searches the town for a Dwarf, avoiding areas that have Wolfsbane in more than annoying quantities. If found, he shall offer the Dwarf a gold coin to tell him what the sigil on the blade means. He shall describe the sigil, and if possible he will draw it on something, even if it is just using beer in a pub to draw a liquid double of it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: May 26, 2014, 11:57:33 am »

((PM sent with the history!))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: May 26, 2014, 01:35:25 pm »

((Nobody but Nadarr knows of it yet :P))

Nadarr searches the town for a Dwarf, avoiding areas that have Wolfsbane in more than annoying quantities. If found, he shall offer the Dwarf a gold coin to tell him what the sigil on the blade means. He shall describe the sigil, and if possible he will draw it on something, even if it is just using beer in a pub to draw a liquid double of it.
When you ask the innkeeper if there is a dwarf in town and he said he left with a group a couple days ago with a group of bounty hunters. You realize he's referring to Thoradin. When asked why, you tell him about the dwarven rune and his eyes light up. He says he knows a bit of dwarven to get around and asks to see the rune. When you draw it out for him, he tells you it means either bring or bringer. You toss him a gold coin in thanks and tell Karl

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:19 pm »

Karl nods his thanks to Nadarr. "I hadn't thought to ask what that rune meant. I suspect as more of the sword's powers unlock themselves, it might reveal the original name of this blade."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: May 26, 2014, 05:00:40 pm »

Nadarr nods back.

On inspecting your blade, I believe I know of your family. There is nobility in your name, and honour in your blood. Both are things to be prized.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: May 26, 2014, 08:30:02 pm »

((Should I assume everyone goes to bed now? Its a little past midnight, and the patrons are starting to leave))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: May 26, 2014, 09:09:27 pm »

((Yea, sure. But first...))

Nadarr walks up to his room after he has spoken to Karl. His mind is whirling, and he sits on the edge of his bed, thinking. Of Aurel, and how he had passed through the doors right below and collapsed into a chair. Of how he breathed his last whilst he had slept above. A single tear snaked down his reptilian cheek, and Nadarr let it. His loyalty to his friend had been for naught. He had died anyway. A need for comfort built in him, one repressed since early childhood. He tried to shake it off but couldn't, and so he did the one thing he could think of, the one person he could talk to. Falling to his knees before his bed, Nadarr let the mask he maintained for others fall, and prayed. Prayed to Tiamat. He prayed that his friend, Aurel, was at peace and that the husk he had met was not him. Nadarr prayed for the first time since a child, then falls into a deep sleep.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: May 26, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »

((Yea, sure. But first...))

Nadarr walks up to his room after he has spoken to Karl. His mind is whirling, and he sits on the edge of his bed, thinking. Of Aurel, and how he had passed through the doors right below and collapsed into a chair. Of how he breathed his last whilst he had slept above. A single tear snaked down his reptilian cheek, and Nadarr let it. His loyalty to his friend had been for naught. He had died anyway. A need for comfort built in him, one repressed since early childhood. He tried to shake it off but couldn't, and so he did the one thing he could think of, the one person he could talk to. Falling to his knees before his bed, Nadarr let the mask he maintained for others fall, and prayed. Prayed to Tiamat. He prayed that his friend, Aurel, was at peace and that the husk he had met was not him. Nadarr prayed for the first time since a child, then falls into a deep sleep.
You pray. You don;t hear anything or notice anytihng, but you feel a little better. You head off to sleep. You begin to toss and turn in your sleep as nightmares of the undead Aurel haunt them. You awake the next morning, startled and sweating, and your heart jumps a little as you notice a note hung by a familiar dagger hangs above your bed, almost 2ft from your head. It merely reads:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:35 pm »

Nadarr growls at the thought of someone being so close to him with a weapon, then leaps up and snatches the dagger out, trying to remember how he knows it. ((History check!))
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 344