Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fortress Armorrevere  (Read 557 times)

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Fortress Armorrevere
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:16:21 pm »

This started out as a normal embark; I decided to try creating a bunch of self-sufficient farmer/brewer rooms, with minecarts to feed the main fortress.  That's not super important, though.

The fortress was going wonderful for quite a while (though I had been neglecting booze, and didn't have very much of it), and then an elf caravan showed up.  I was about to send a bunch of dorfs to the trade depot with a bunch of crafts when I got a message:
The forest titan Bebmal Náshaslenod Sezomâst has come! A huge feathered spider. It has a fat, bulging trunk and it has a regal bearing. Beware its poisonous bite!

I hadn't trained any military dwarves at this point, but I figured that the elves would take it out no problem, so I just ordered my dwarves to hide for a bit.  To my surprise, the titan just moved to the entrance to my fort and sat there.  It wasn't long before I was deciding whether or not to go and try to lure it onto the minecart track so I could hit it with a few high-speed death machines, but just then I got another message:
A vile force of darkness has arrived!

I thought, "Oh, the goblins can take out the titan for me!"  However, they attacked the elves, and then got the titan's attention.  It killed them all without injury.

At this point I decided to lure the titan onto the track.  I sent a single dwarf, and it went and killed him - 1 hit with its webs was enough.  The titan then continued to sit at the entrance.  Neither did a 40 dorf assault do anything, even moving it from its post.

A bright point came when some migrants showed up.  They led the titan away from the door, allowing me a moment to brick it up.  But the dwarves all went to drink, and got slaughtered.  It wasn't long before the only two living dwarves were a couple who fell down some stairs and had their spines broken.

Fortunately, some migrants arrived and were able to collapse the ceiling on Bebmal's head. :D  Now to bury 120 dwarves...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Armorrevere
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:36:41 am »

Despite the sparse information, the sheer fact that 120ish dorfs got whacked by the titan due to their own stupidity and/or poor planning speaks volumes for continued lack of faith in their intelligence.