Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Largest Caravan  (Read 1092 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Largest Caravan
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:53:42 pm »

Just curious to see how big everyone else's caravans are. I always wondered if there is a max amount of wagons or what it's attributes are. I just had a caravan of 7 wagons (biggest yet!) so how many does everyone else get?
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Largest Caravan
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:07:00 pm »

I believe the more wealth you give the caravan, the more traders they bring the following year. I can't recall the total number of wagons, but I've had merchants fill up whole pages.

It gets pretty annoying too, since they take so long to pack up. I once had the human caravan start to leave right when the dwarven caravan showed up. Their wagons collided and they stayed stuck until the goblins sieged later that winter.

I don't think there is a wagon cap.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »

lol that's hilarious
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »

I haven't counted. In past years of Valefortress, I've traded upwards of 200,000 Urists of stuff at a time. My main export is prepared meals.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:38:09 pm »

Yeah, after hearing all the horror stories of wagon pile-ups, I blocked them from my fortress with roadblocks.  The regular traders still visit, but they leave those crazy wagon trains at home!

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:53:19 pm »

The trade in Cityrings pretty much came to a halt 8 years into the game. Although i have over 300 Dwarves (1/3 kids and babies) i didn't really traded much in the last years. Mostly because the mountainhome caravan got scared by a goblin siege and i basically killed over 9000 elven cravans. Strange thing though, that the humans layed siege this summer. I didn't do anything and in Legends theres no evidence of a war or even the very siege itself. Well, human blood for free, i guess.
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:19:45 pm »

Huge human caravans are annoying, they often take too long to pack and hit the dwarven caravan. This can be fixed with multiple trade depots and gates, lock the humans in until the dwraves are on the map and on their way to the second depot. But the problem also fixes itself: stuck wagons will eventually disassemble and give you all their goods, lowering your trade balance and helping ensure next year's caravan isn't as big.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:00:29 pm »

The time a caravan takes to pick up their junk depends on the amount of items they have to sort through - gifting them your used socks one by one (i.e. handing them over without the bin used to bring them to the depot) can greatly inflate the time consumption. With caravans ranging up to seven wagons - the highest number i'm absolutely sure of having seen, although i don't commonly count them - just packing up what they brought without any trade can keep them in the depot until two weeks or so before the dwarfs arrive. I know two methods to avoid collisions:
1 - shorten the time the humans need to pack up - buy lots of small stacks or single items - thread, food - sell full bins of stuff and/or barrels and pots of prepared meals, giving them few individual items for a lot of value. With very large caravans, that still puts them unnervingly close to the dwarfs.
2. - massively _increase_ the time the humans spend at the depot. Use them as your main garbage collectors, make sure to take every last sock and +pig hoof figurine of a blood gnat+ out of the bin. This way, the humans won't be near done packing up when the dwarfs arrive. The dwarfs can enter the depot, unpack all their garbage and trade while the humans are still busy packing up. This works surprisingly well with really large forts that produce lots of old clothes. The humans can easily take to mid- or even late winter before they finally shove off, while the dwarfs will typically take until spring to pick up all their items.

The highest value count for old clothes alone that i've achieved was somewhere around a quarter million, while i've had a few trade sessions that broke the one-million mark (through prepared meals, of course).