Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [ISG] The Life and Times of Roger Stanford  (Read 5098 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] The Life and Times of Roger Stanford
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »

Fecking A, why the heck do I miss this guff?

Anyways, Go check out our workshop, then to the markets!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

Ptw
I PTW anything that seems interesting

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:21 pm »

A while ago some serious stuff went down which really threw me off and I didn't feel like updating for a while (By serious stuff I mean that my dog got bitten by a snake and nearly died).

I'm also not really sure if I want to update this for a few reasons. First is that I made the mistake of setting it in a city. It took me 3 hours to draw Roger's room and I think the marketplace should be a lot more complex, as would pretty much every other location you visit. So the whole adventure would require much more of my time then my other adventures which had less complex environments. Secondly I find myself really feeling like doing build a colony again.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:40 am »

Well I'm sure most of us won't mind if you scale down the market to just individual stalls instead of a giant thing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 11:02:15 am »

A while ago some serious stuff went down which really threw me off and I didn't feel like updating for a while (By serious stuff I mean that my dog got bitten by a snake and nearly died).
Ouch. I can...is it sympathize or empathize when you haven't experienced exactly that but can still imagine the magnitude of the sadness?

I'm also not really sure if I want to update this for a few reasons. First is that I made the mistake of setting it in a city. It took me 3 hours to draw Roger's room and I think the marketplace should be a lot more complex, as would pretty much every other location you visit. So the whole adventure would require much more of my time then my other adventures which had less complex environments. Secondly I find myself really feeling like doing build a colony again.
Hey, run what you want to run.

Well I'm sure most of us won't mind if you scale down the market to just individual stalls instead of a giant thing.
Same here. I mean, how many video game cities do you see that are actually big enough to be what they claim to be?
*chuckle*
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »

Quote from: GreatWyrmGold link=topic=133845.msg4847419#msg4847419
[quote author=Gamerlord link=topic=133845.msg4846832#msg4846832 date=1387429660
Same here. I mean, how many video game cities do you see that are actually big enough to be what they claim to be?
*chuckle*
[/quote] Yeah generally the cities are only slightly bigger than the small village.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 02:11:53 pm »

Yeah generally the cities are only slightly bigger than the small village.
And those villages are maybe half a dozen huts to begin with. And they always include a shop or two and an inn/tavern.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 02:49:34 pm »

Yeah generally the cities are only slightly bigger than the small village.
And those villages are maybe half a dozen huts to begin with. And they always include a shop or two and an inn/tavern.
I can understand the inns and shops, though.
I mean, if you have a road between two cities, and it takes over a day to travel, then it would be rather lucrative to set up an inn on the mid-way point, you'd get business a lot.
And then it would only be natural someone would set up a shop, to also make money, without being in competition with the inn, but actually increasing both places revenue.
After a while, people may decide to actually move to this mid-way point and make a small village.

At least, that's how I'd rationalize it.
But most of the time they're in the middle of absolute nowhere, so whatever.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »

A general store or something,. sure, but one which sells arms, armor, and potions?
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 03:14:05 pm »

A general store or something,. sure, but one which sells arms, armor, and potions?
Well keep in mind that there are normally goblins prowling the country side and adventurers who go out and kill them for profit.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »

Well keep in mind that there are normally goblins prowling the country side and adventurers who go out and kill them for profit.
That's a lot of effort for these few adventurers. A forge, probably, plus an alchemist or wizard or something, plus whatever else you'd need to make all those magic arms and armor.
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »

That's a lot of effort for these few adventurers. A forge, probably, plus an alchemist or wizard or something, plus whatever else you'd need to make all those magic arms and armor.
But the reward is well worth it.
The price of a bed and breakfast is only a couple copper, normally, a simple sword can go for multiple gold pieces.
While the blacksmith and the alchemist might not get as many customers, you have to take into account that when they do, they make over 10-100 times what other people make.
It's very lucrative, particularly for the alchemist, because then they can keep selling to the same adventurers if they are successful and don't get killed.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:03 pm »

Arguably. Remember, that applies to getting the sword, too. And with the treasure adventurers bring back to sell, the market for swords and such is likely to be competitive anywhere with many adventurers; hence, the profit margin per sword is going to be fairly small. In the meantime, you're needing to maintain all those weapons and such--no one will buy a rusty sword. It's not profitable to run a business to equip the occasional adventurer.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]