Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Exploits and honor  (Read 3971 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Exploits and honor
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:16:44 am »

The game has several well known exploits, which ones do you refuse to use in the name of honor and !!FUN!! ?

I dont use atom smashers, cage traps, danger rooms, buried "above ground" farms (except covering them with clear glass ceilings), water reactors

I do use drawbridge lockdown (i think its a bit exploity, being indestructible and everything), quantum stockpiles to get rid of stone

Also, it can be argued what is and what is not an exploit, what dou you think?

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
Re: Exploits and honor
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:56:31 am »

I don't use bolt splitting, or underground aboveground farms (unless it's a greenhouse). Atom smashers are great though.
Everything's in the news today

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:43:20 am »

I don't use any of those.  I do occasionally use draw bridges, but mine are "indestructable" only because I engineer things so the invaders can't reach the bridge when it is closed (usually by digging a moat with the ramps removed).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

doomyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:04:11 am »

don't forget the trade exploits..

all in all, it depends on the fortress. sometimes i have different goals. 

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:09:58 am »

Things I won't do:

Bridge off the edges of the map;
Deconstruct the Trade Depot while traders are present;
Use danger rooms for training.

Unless you're involved in a succession or a competitive fort, however, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with honour.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:16 am »

Honor is a personal matter.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:19 am »

I don't use any exploits other than atom smasher for vermin remains. Damn them cats.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

I refuse to use magma pistons, although that's mostly because they seem rather impractical because they cannot be reused. I also abstain from most exploits (excluding atomsmashing of items (which doesn't seem as exploit-y since you're technically weakening yourself) and sometimes water generators) if there isn't a sufficiently insane project that needs the benefits.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 01:27:29 pm »

Some random thoughts.

I don't really use bridges as gates that often anymore (wall of dwarven flesh and gatehouses work perfectly well.)
I also detest danger rooms because they generate weak but skilled dorfs and training a proper military is easy.

Cage traps are fine for cavern critters, but are annoying with invaders (so many jobs...)
Atom smashers are great trash compactors though, much easier than a 180 z level trash dump.
Aquifer powered water reactors, ok in my book.
Modding out vital organs in cats, ok when necessary. Though it is better to increase their internal temperature to the ignition point.

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »

I refuse to use magma pistons, although that's mostly because they seem rather impractical because they cannot be reused. I also abstain from most exploits (excluding atomsmashing of items (which doesn't seem as exploit-y since you're technically weakening yourself) and sometimes water generators) if there isn't a sufficiently insane project that needs the benefits.

Actualy as long as you have a water supply magma pistons are rather easy to reuse, in fact they are rather impratical to setup if you dont plan on reuseing.  Once you've fired the piston siphon off the magma but leave 2/7 behind and dump water on the piston.  This forms a layer of obsidian on top of it alowing you to drop it agian once you reset the support and dig out the botem agian.

On exploits however I dont really see atomsmashing of items as an exploit.  Its more or less just efficent desposal.  I could alternitively dump them down a shaft to the magma sea but that wont get rid of magma safe items.  I do kind of see the exploit if your useing an atom smasher as base defence however.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 01:49:06 pm »

I don't sell trap components or use danger rooms. And that's pretty much about it. (also i can't be bothered to quantum stockpile or build perpetual motion machines)
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »

Honor is for elves.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:06:24 pm »

i can't be bothered to quantum stockpile

I feel bad for you
Everything's in the news today

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 08:22:27 pm »

Honor is for elves.
Are... Are you... This is blasphemy! What are you, some kind of kobold!? ELVES, HAVING HONOR, AND DWARVES NOT!?!?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 08:25:03 pm »

Honor is for elves.
Are... Are you... This is blasphemy! What are you, some kind of kobold!? ELVES, HAVING HONOR, AND DWARVES NOT!?!?

Actually, considering the behavior of hammerers, Counts/countesses, brokers being met with steel-clad psychopaths... doublestrafe may be on to something, here.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!
Pages: [1] 2 3