Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Decent Fort?  (Read 2553 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Decent Fort?
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »

I just wanted to compare my fort's food stocks to other people's so I can tell if what I have is decent or not. Currently I am at;
Meat: 138
Fish: 80
Plant: 43
Seeds: 779
Drink: 1136
Prepared Meals: 4115
Overall Foodstores: 6291

Another thing is military strength and wealth.
Created Wealth: 759733

Currently I have 1 10-Man squad. Full iron armor (All high quality/masterwork), Steel battle axes (all masterwork), wood shields (all masterwork). Their skills are all Legendary in combat.
Just in case it matters, the fort is 4 years old as well.

I don't know how this compares to what other people have, so I'm curious as to how my fort fairs to other people's. Thanks for your time!
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Decent Fort?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »

Not bad, but...

Fort's around 17 years old. No military to speak of, it's all in training at the moment. My population is slowly increasing because of children at a rate of 2-3 per year, since I capped migrants at 60 and child population at 25.

Prepared meals are my main export, not that you'd think so looking at my stockpiles.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:50:45 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »

Woah! I was expecting people to maybe double what I had, not totally crush me in a mountain of success! Jeez that's really good! Although, you do have 17 years on it. I love to have huge forts so I set my cap at 250, I'm at 180 right now. Wow that's really awesome!
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:12:10 am »

To be fair, my current setup is EXTREMELY exploity. I abuse caravan entry points, the value of food, atom smashers, water reactors, the fact that every siege dies swiftly to noxious gas aboveground, skylights covered with bridges so I can get aboveground crops, danger rooms, etc, etc...

Not necessarily in the spirit of the game, but I do have a successful fortress.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:43 pm »

Here are my snapshots.

I use Workflow, Seedwatch, and Autobutcher, so prepared meals are kept within a specific range automatically.  Most of the meals are roasts of plump helmet and various seeds, with the occasional meat thrown in when available.  The fort is now 84 years old.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:48:26 pm by VerdantSF »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:48:04 pm »

Just going for massive wealth creation in a mineral-rich world can get very crazy very fast: i have a fort that's just under 30 years old, with 85 dwarfs, which is currently at 33Mio created, just under 10Mio exported and 8,5Mio gifted wealth. Of course it has over 3000 drink and more than 5000 prepared meals, but also 2850 golden salve and 117 golden statues, 31 of which are masterworks. And 128 crutches, because our duchess just loves those. A bit over 9 Million of the fort's value are the 78 artefacts.

Large numbers aren't that important - all food beyond 1000 is just dead weight on my stockpiles and i regularly gift (or sell for a symbolic single plump helmet) a few hundred meals to free up stockpile space.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:12:50 pm »

If you want to create massive amounts of wealth, just make tons and tons of trap components. They're absurdly valuable, especially when made of steel or adamantine. Back in DF2010, when you could make anything with just 1 adamantine wafer, I hit about 250 million in 20-25 years, mainly by building a giant hall of adamantine spikes for killing the HFS.

There are better measure of success than wealth, though. Death toll, for example.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »

Seeds: 779

Sorry, you need at least 783 seeds or else your fortress strictly sucks.  ;D

Honestly, if you have enough food to support your dwarves in times of turmoil, then you have enough food.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:13:22 pm »

This is a fort I recently "retired" because 15 FPS w/o temperature is only bearable for so long

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was a pretty old fort (8-9 years?), and no doubt my most militaristic one to date. Most of the wealth came from the masterwork candy armor/weapons and the hordes of useless artifacts children made. Exports at that point were various masterwork bone crafts and gold goblets wrapped in XXcave spider silk socksXX.

Wealth is super-easy to amass once you get the third migrant wave. Mechanisms, goblets and food (oh god the roasts) are worth absurd amounts of cash.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 10:29:16 pm »

The fortress is going to receive its first human caravan in a month, and currently has 50 dwarves, about half of which I haven't gotten around to processing for labours yet.

Meat: 2
Fish: 0
Plants: 43
Seeds: 154
Drink: 308
Prepared Meals: 178
Total Food: 334

Created Wealth: 124033

Military consists of two wrestlers in fairly good bronze, and while I have a selection of masterwork leather shields they're to train without them for the moment.

I don't really care about wealth generation, and since I have the first cavern sealed off to non-fliers it and its plants are moderately secure.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:36 am »

Not to toot me own horn too loudly, but...

The fort was founded in the year 156, so it's 4.5 years old, roughly.  It has no military because, despite being a Mountainhome, it has zero visitors besides Dwarves.  Apparently settling on a distant island does that.
Sanity is for the weak.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 06:04:56 pm »

I don't really have a good fort to post, all my good ones soon were invaded by zombies. On all 7 worlds. The one that survived for more is... well... It has created less wealth in 3 years than all the others in 1.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »

Started in 201, so 11 years and someodd. Not the best stockpiles I've ever had, though; I think my highest had drinks somewhere in the 5,000s.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:34 pm »

Not to toot me own horn too loudly, but...

The fort was founded in the year 156, so it's 4.5 years old, roughly.  It has no military because, despite being a Mountainhome, it has zero visitors besides Dwarves.  Apparently settling on a distant island does that.

Oh, let me guess: every reachable bit of floor engraved and way too many metal crafts? The high numbers of "stoneworkers" and "metalsmiths" suggest it. Prepared meals can account for quite a bit, but getting past ~400☼ per meal is tricky, so i'd estimate at most 2Mio as their contribution to "other objects", out of 18Mio.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »

94 children? Someone doesn't play with a childcap  8)
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1] 2