Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you look for in an embark site? (vanilla/LNP)  (Read 1173 times)

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
What do you look for in an embark site? (vanilla/LNP)
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:20:00 pm »

Without getting into super specialized forts, what do you look for in an embark site?

I've been using the site finder to look for 4x4 sites, only specifying Flux=Yes, Aquifer=No, River=Yes, Shallow Metal=Multiple, Deep Metal=Multiple, Soil=Some and Clay=Yes. 

Once I find some potential sites, I use prospector to look for large amounts of Iron-ores (preferably 35k or more), Flux, decent gems and preferably some gold or precious ore (20k+).  Also, I want a site to have some trees.

This lets me do some easy subterranean farming, access to wood and the ability ultimately to crank out large amounts of iron/steel and gold or other precious metals.

What things do you look for?   What things do you consider to be critical in an embark site, and what things are considered a plus?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: What do you look for in an embark site? (vanilla/LNP)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »

Aquifer = yes.  The rest is variable, depending on my mood of the moment.

More important than the mineral outlay of a site, is the proximity of trading partners / interesting neighbours.

I'm always especially happy to find that one of the dorf civs is at war with one or more of the other races; at the very least, I need to be accessible to at least one elf, human, and gobbo civ.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 05:09:22 pm »

I look for a perfectly flat, cold temperature, 3x3 area with iron close to the surface. Flux is a bonus, but importing it is easy. I like to have a nice savage biome for(Edit: Ahh! Trees! Must have trees!) giant animals too. If available, I try to stick a corner of terrifying in my embark.

I need to have all the races, and I make sure (re-gen the world to stop at the correct time) to be at war with the elves, and my world is always an island (huge, but just small enough to be traveled by an adventurer. Although I guess those are more world-specific and aren't specifically embark location.

Either way, after that anything goes. No aquifer, magma near the surface, glass sand, clay, gems, gold and those type of things are cool, but I don't go out of my way for them.

Oh, yeah, and I re-gen the world history if I don't have a necromancer tower, were-somethings and vampires all in close proximity. My 'average' unspecialized fort must have maximum Fun available at all times.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:16:42 pm by JJtoocool »
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:46:09 am »

The only things I insist on having are flux stone and at least one nearby hostile civ. Metals are nice, but worst case, you can get what you need from the caravans and later the goblins.

I try to embark in a slightly different environment each time, but I always look for either a flat site or a site with one very steep cliff. Aquifers are good.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:46:21 am »

I prefer to have some trees on the surface, some soil, some form of flowing water and that is pretty much it. While I do look for deep and shallow metals (multiple), that is common enough and I don't really care which metals these are or if there is flux.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

evilman222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:35:10 am »

My main things are shallow metals, flux, and a valley with a river. Lets me geet a good metal industry going, and become self sufficient with the fishing and farming (river valley usually has soil) as my game likes to send me caravans in the middle of sieges.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 10:59:14 am »

More than one neighbor.
No haunted, not terrifying.
River  or Stream. Intersections of 2 or better 3 get moved up in the list. Brooks don't count.
Cliffs at least 7.
Wooded biome.
Metals.
Sand.
Soil.
Mirthful or better.
Temperate or Cold.
Road.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »

Flux, river, lots of trees, no aquifer is possible.  I used to sitescum for iron deposits, but these days I just mine goblinite.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:51:48 pm »

- Only one metal listed in the site finder. This helps force each of my forts to be unique in how their military develops. Sometimes we're immediately strong with iron and steel, sometimes we start with copper and a few pieces of bronze, sometimes we're in leather wielding silver hammers or maces, sometimes all we have to start with are bone crossbows and wooden bolts.

- Some interesting terrain feature to incorporate into the fortress, either structurally, thematically, as part of a trap, or all of the above.

- A biome with interesting creatures. I usually aim for one that can spawn a good war-animal candidate.

- Either an aquifer or no aquifer, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Oort

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN'T_LEARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 10:30:55 pm »

I tend to go with less-than-ideal embarks on a whim. Keeps it interesting.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:47:12 pm »

Flux can be reliably searched for, and is always good. If the humans, goblins, or dwarves have iron, then you can supplement the small amount the dwarves always bring. If none of them do, then you can use the more valuable flux as freely as you'd use base stone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:50:35 pm »

Does this fort have the means to produce bronze-tier gear or better? If yes, then everything else can vary.

Since DF combat is pretty "inferior metal can't pierce superior metal ever", copper-only forts are my big No. I'm not a fan of evil/horrifying biomes, just because I can't see any dwarf going to a place with eyes for grass and thinking "Yeah, this right here is where I want to live!"

I turn aquifers off, because they're just a pain and needlessly prolong my fortress expansion.

I prefer savage biomes, and close access to the various civs. Rivers are a nice plus. Towers only if I'm willingly to put up with the constant influx of corpses that need to  be hauled.

I try to avoid embarks that "have it all" as it were (Heavily forested with iron and flux), because they just aren't very fun.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 10:59:21 pm »

Since DF combat is pretty "inferior metal can't pierce superior metal ever", copper-only forts are my big No.
Spears can poke through armour one 'tier' up, and enemies don't come fully armoured. You won't be a copper-only fort for long anyway -- the first dwarven caravan will bring bars and other items made from bronze and steel (and possibly iron), and the summer after that will bring humans and their bronze (and possibly iron).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:10 am »

Since DF combat is pretty "inferior metal can't pierce superior metal ever", copper-only forts are my big No.
Spears can poke through armour one 'tier' up, and enemies don't come fully armoured. You won't be a copper-only fort for long anyway -- the first dwarven caravan will bring bars and other items made from bronze and steel (and possibly iron), and the summer after that will bring humans and their bronze (and possibly iron).

Hmm.  Did not know that about spears. And you have a point about the caravans, but I find they never bring a sufficient quantity of items to fully arm a fort. That, and I would never want to rely on traders for my steel :P 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 03:20:28 am »

You can request items from your caravan liaison, especially stones, and they will bring 4 of everything you request. 4 cassetirite yield 32 bars of bronze; if you have enough fuel/magma you can also request bismunthinite and smelt 64 bars of bitmuth bronze using the 4 cassetirite and 4 bismuthinite. Since iron has many ores, you can probably request at least 3x4=12 iron ores = 48 bars. On top of that you can smelt down all the anvils, piccolos and other crap they bring, and anything that the friendly goblins take with them as an offering.

(actually this has inspired me to do a no-metals no-lockdown few-traps fort just to see if I can pull it off...)
Pages: [1] 2