Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Japes, The 1920s Mystery Party RTD  (Read 3438 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Japes, The 1920s Mystery Party RTD
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 08:09:44 pm »

(Caerwyn wins the Gentleman Possessing The Most Fortunate Fates Award for this RTD. Three fives in a row.)
Lady Katherine
[4] [4] You manage to rush out of the aflame party without much damage. On the street, you see some scruffy Irish twat holding a revolver at the Chief of Police. They both look at you as if you've walked in on something. You feel vaguely awkward.

Lady Whitby
[6+1] You kick him into the flame, causing the fire to explode in growth. You are not in a good situation at the moment! [4] You jump into a nearby ornamental fountain and enjoy the lovely water for a bit before you realize that the building is burning down around you currently. [2] A bit of plaster falls onto you, causing a bit of a bruise on your left shoulder. This party is simply unbelievable! What a ridiculous farce.
Your Physical Vitality has gone down! You have become quite Bruised!

Willard
[6] The duke does indeed catch aflame. Unfortunately, he notices. Very much so. Screaming and running, he smashes into the wall. The fire spreads up the wall, causing it to collapse and catch the next townhouse on fire. Someone's going to ring the police at this point. [3] You fill a wine glass with water from the nearby fountain that possesses a lady and douse him in it. He's now possessing 3rd degree burns and unconscious from blunt-force trauma. [3] A large bit of the ceiling collapses in front of you, blocking you off from the duke. Damn! Now you're going to have to actually risk your life now. Why is inheriting a duchy so difficult?

Alexander
[5] [5] [5] You jump through the window just before the flame spreads to your part of the room. You can hear the guards running away frightened without even noticing that you absconded with everything within the room. Looks like you accomplished your objective elegantly! Down the street you can see one of those fancy new red motorcar lorries rapidly approaching the ablaze museum. The fire brigade is here.

Seanan
Ignoring the rude interruption, you fire at the Chief of Police! [4] Buggering finally, you shoot him in the head and he dies. [6] A bright red lorry hits the brakes, running the chief over. A man gets out and looks at you as a few fellows get out of the back and start filling buckets with water. He looks at you and the lady, then orders you both to clear the area, having not noticed the fact you're holding a revolver. Yet. You best think fast!

Spoiler: Caerwyn's Portrait (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wwolin's Portrait (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sjm9876's Portrait (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:11:42 pm by Fniff »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »

Abscond from the scene of the crime! I shall dispose of the revolver later.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:36 pm »

Drench myself in water from the fountain before climbing over the rubble as quickly as possible and dragging the duke to safety.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 07:29:15 am »

Abscond most verily! If not possible, shriek for help!

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 10:35:40 am »

Get to my secret base (All burglars have a secret base), and stash the loot there! Then, over the course of potentially several years, pawn off the items to black market dealers for at least 40%, or sell them to "Sketchy" yet wealthy individuals! Then retire for life, and live in the lap of luxury!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 12:33:28 pm »

Clear the area as the man says. If he asks, I didn't see any revolver.[/b]
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2013, 03:14:40 pm »

(Right, USEC_OFFICER, SJM9876, and Caerwyn are now in Recess. When in Recess, you can either simply just do some roleplaying, or you can attempt to gain extra boons, contacts for the next party, and do some minor mayhem on the side. Time is abstracted into a period of weeks.)
The Party
Seanan
[4] [5] You quickly flee from the scene of the crime, the firefighters not even noticing your weaponry! You quickly make it down the street and into the night without a single man even realizing that you were the murderer.
Seanan has vanished from the party! He can now choose one of three reward boons and enjoy the fact he has a few favors in debt with the new Chief of the Police Force now!.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Willard
[5] You rush in, covered in water, with the shouts of the lady behind you. You dive into rescue the duke into the flames, the water being seared off your body by sheer heat. [2] Unfortunately, the Duke is almost about to die and is in the process of screaming ultrasonically. [1] As if things can't get any worse, a bit of rubble lands on your foot, trapping it and damaging it. You're going to have to think fast!
Your Physical Vitality has gone down! You are now feeling quite Pained!

Lady Withby
[4] You manage to get to the doors of the museum, and [1] they're locked and barred. Dear God, that is just bad hosting. [1] A piece of rubble lands on your head. You feel quite... dazed now. Now is not a good time to be feeling delirious.
Your Physical Vitality has gone down! You are now Battered!

Alexander
Yes, indeed, you are going to sell the items over a period of years but that's going to take, as it implies, years. Besides, living in the lap of luxury is fine and good, but you are now a gentleman, not a common thug. You have property now, finances. No, your japes are not quite done yet.
Alexander has vanished from the party. He can now choose one of three boons, and rest easy knowing that the jewel shall never be seen in a non-private collection again!

Lady Katherine
[4] You quickly leave the area, and he does not ask you a single question. Well, that's done... and you have a theater in the family. How lovely. This shall look good for you socially.
Lady Katherine has vanished from the party. She can now choose one of three boons, and now pressgang her sister to put on her favorite plays if she wishes to.

The City
You awaken the night after the party with a splitting headache within your lovely London townhouse. The smell of fire still fresh in your mind, you go to your kitchen and fix yourself up your own patented gentleman's regret cocktail. Soon you are as fit as a fiddle, and ready to take on the challenges of the day. Well, there aren't many, so you could legitimately stay within your bed for the entire day and not have much of an effect, but it could be also more beneficial to actively seek out ways to better yourself. You'll decide when you are in proper dress.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »

(possibly more later)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 03:55:35 pm »

Free my foot, even if that means damaging it in the process. Then drag the Duke out of the building through a door or window, whichever's closer.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »

Quick, out the window!

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2013, 11:16:40 am »

I'll take the Dashing Cape!...And what do I do now?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

So many good choices... I'll go with the Dynamite, please. Nothing like a good old bombing to get the blood flowing.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »

Willard
[1] You cannot free your foot. This is a really heavy piece of rubble. [4] Ignoring that, you drag your trapped foot along with the rubble and rip the duke out of the flames, even though he's on fire. [5] You drag him out of the building through a window with [5] absolutely no damage to yourself. [6+1] You have a feeling that the Duke is going to be very, very pleased with you. Possibly too pleased. Either way, it'll probably be fine. You begin to drag him over to the firefighters for assistance.
Willard has vanished from the party! He can now choose one of three boons, knowing that he'll have a lovely duchy to inherit in a very, very short time.

Lady Withby
[2] The window is also locked. [6] Getting rather bored of this evening, you smash the window and jump out there. However, you are also covered in glass shards. Getting up and walking away in rather a shock, you find yourself in the company of nice men who drape a blanket over you and drag you off some place as you collapse into a bit of a daze.
Lady Withby has vanished from the party! She can now choose one of three boons and rest easy knowing that insulters against her will think twice next time.

The City
You have gotten a letter.

"From the desk of the Director of the London Private Historical Art Gallery
We do regret the fact that the majority of our victims guests perished in a fire that was rather similar to our last fire on the eve of our reopening. We certainly did not arrange this as a combined way to get revenge on disliked guests and to allow us to gain insurance money. We in fact dislike you for making the assumption. Shame on you. Hopefully you can make the next party when we inevitably rebuild the Gallery! Specifically, this group of people should come as soon as they can."

How perfectly innocent.

Now, what could you do until the next party comes along? Well, you can...
  • Scheme and Plot! (Thank you USEC_OFFICER for this magnificent system). You can attempt to plan things out this time and not end up flailing about like a depressed walrus this time. With this, you can call in Plans. Plans allow you to pull out objects and cause events, so you may say "Suddenly, a car crashes through the door!" or "I pull out a pistol!". Of course, these will never be as good as boons, but they'll do in a pinch. The fun part is that you have multiple Plans and you can save them up between parties, but unfortunately you must spend one. You can attempt to get Plans, and you may end up with a Harebrained Plot (You may only describe the basics, like "I pull out a weapon" or "Something crashes into the house somewhere"), an Intriguing Scheme (You may only describe generalities, like "I pull out a pistol" or "A car crashes through the wall"), or a Terrifying Conspiracy (You can describe anything, like "I pull a pistol that sets people aflame when shot" or "A car crashes through the wall and impales Miss Bisby".
  • Acquire Contacts! Contacts are people within the party who you can contact to do things, hence the name. You must gather them beforehand, and choose their skills. I, however, will choose their position. You may end up with a Foolish Retainer (One type of skill chosen by the GM will get a -1), a Half-Witted Lackey (One type of skill gets a +1), and a Cunning Gentleman's Gentleman (Two types of skill get a +1). During the party you can order them to do things. However, you can only gather Contacts once per party and after that party, they will vanish into the ether.
  • Pursue Knowledge! Knowledge gives you hints about the next party. You will not be able to choose what you find out, but it can be handy in the right situation. The hints could be about your target, the layout of the building, those guarding the event, or possibly something else. Who knows, really? Well, when you're done, you will.
Choose as you will! Next time, things will be a lot more threatening and complicated.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 05:04:43 am »

Scheme and plot!

Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2013, 05:15:37 am »

I choose the Throwing Knife and to scheme and plot!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5