Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No caravans from other races  (Read 1089 times)

Arowhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No caravans from other races
« on: November 29, 2013, 03:24:15 pm »

I built right next to several human and elvish civs, but none are trading. I did get caravans from my own civ. Could there be a reason for this?

I built a different fort not to long ago that got no caravans, not even from my own civ. Didn't get migrants either. Are these too issues connected in some way?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:33:16 pm by Arowhun »
Another important reason is graphics: Toady is running out of letters.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No caravans from other races
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 05:20:58 pm »

How long did you play each time? In the first year of your fort, you'll get two hard-coded migrant waves and then the dwarf caravan in late Fall. (Not sure if that always comes even if you're not near an active dwarf civ.)

After that, you should continue to get migrant waves (as long as you're not at cap) as long as you have an active dwarf civilization with a leader close enough, and elf caravans should start showing up in late Spring while human ones show up in late Summer (with or without a diplomat).

When you're selecting the location for your Fort on the world map, press the Tab key to toggle between info about the location. In the section where normally it lists what the site has (Aquifier, clay, metals, etc.), instead it'll show other information for each Tab press, and one of the screens shows which of the main civilizations are close enough to interact with your fortress. (Dwarves, elves, humans, and goblins, not sure if any others can show up there.) I try to remember to check that out each time, although that won't help you in a game you've already started. (Unless you mess around doing things like backing up the save file, abandoning your fort, then going to reclaim/rebuild in the same spot, then going back to the backup save.)

Arowhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »

How long did you play each time? In the first year of your fort, you'll get two hard-coded migrant waves and then the dwarf caravan in late Fall. (Not sure if that always comes even if you're not near an active dwarf civ.)

After that, you should continue to get migrant waves (as long as you're not at cap) as long as you have an active dwarf civilization with a leader close enough, and elf caravans should start showing up in late Spring while human ones show up in late Summer (with or without a diplomat).

When you're selecting the location for your Fort on the world map, press the Tab key to toggle between info about the location. In the section where normally it lists what the site has (Aquifier, clay, metals, etc.), instead it'll show other information for each Tab press, and one of the screens shows which of the main civilizations are close enough to interact with your fortress. (Dwarves, elves, humans, and goblins, not sure if any others can show up there.) I try to remember to check that out each time, although that won't help you in a game you've already started. (Unless you mess around doing things like backing up the save file, abandoning your fort, then going to reclaim/rebuild in the same spot, then going back to the backup save.)

I played for a year before I gave up. I know of how to use the tab key to see surrounding civs, and all the races were close to me. Also, I was only 5 local squares away from an elvish forest retreat, so its not like I was far.
Another important reason is graphics: Toady is running out of letters.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:26:24 pm »

A single year will take you from early spring to early spring.  As Stormfeather stated, the first elf caravan doesn't come until late spring; the humans wait until summer.

Persevere, and you'll be rewarded!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Steelconfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:16:21 am »

I had my first human caravan in year four. Actually, I was surprised they did show up at all by the time.  ;D The elves and dwarfes did show up as expected.

What might be the reason why the humans did not come sooner?