Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I put interactions on a timer?  (Read 582 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
How do I put interactions on a timer?
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:31:14 pm »

I think it'd be pretty neat to have animals that can heal themselves, and I've nominated the voracious cave crawler for its presumed ability to shed (it's a big angry millipede and not a snake or a caterpillar, but ehh). I'd like it to periodically go into a torpid state or form from which it emerges a while later, fully healed.

I've had the idea of an interaction with a long wait time that moves the creature from its normal state into a 'ready to shed' one, at which point an interaction that looks for the 'ready to shed' state and allows the process to start can be performed. There are two things I'd like to time. First, the creature should be prevented from shutting down mid-combat, so it'd need some time alone to start the regenerative process. Second, the creature should be bumped back to the 'ready to shed' state if it's interrupted while torpid / regenerating.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.