Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Streaming Dwarf Fortress!  (Read 5019 times)

viewtifulrexx@yahoo.com

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Streaming Dwarf Fortress!
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:25:59 am »

Hey, I just started a channel, and I'm having such a plast with the Masterwork mod for Dwarf Fortress that I';ll be playing that exclusively for a while. I've got the basics of DF down, I am really looking to see how far I can go with a dedicated fortress, and I'd love to have you guys come in and talk about the game. Feel free to backseat game to your heart's content (Armok knows I need the help)!

You can catch my channel http://www.twitch.tv/viewtifulrexx here, and my Twitter https://twitter.com/Viewtifulrexx automatically updates whenever I go live. I'd love to see you guys there!

MY CURRENT SCHEDULE IS FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FROM 9 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME. I run to at least midnight but sometimes longer!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:39:32 pm by viewtifulrexx@yahoo.com »

viewtifulrexx@yahoo.com

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57:32 am »

Just wanted to thank everyone who showed up on the day I wasn't streaming Fortress tonight! :P Especially the people who hung around. Reminder that Saturday and Sunday at 9 PM I'll be doing Dwarf Fortress with the Masterwork mod installed here at my channel: www.twitch.tv/viewtifulrexx . It'll probably end up being the kind of learning experience that only DF can provide! XD

Come for the animated dwarf, stay for the !!FUN!!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:07:13 am »

Um, your username stretches into the post title and it looks weird. You might want to make a new account without the email address in the name.

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:44 am »

Oh, I didn't even notice that! Thank you for pointing it out. :/

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:37:07 am »

Once again, thanks to everyone who came out on Saturday to check out my first attempts at the Masterwork mod.

Machinesubmerge started off VERY shakily as I didn't realize you need to pack way more food then you normally do in Masterwork. By the time winter came along the fortress was beginning to starve out and dwarves were throwing tantrums as I struggled to relearn the new lines of production. Fortunately, a dwarven caravan had arrived and just in time with MUCH needed supplies.

...That we stole. I'm sure that won't have any negative repercussions!

Meanwhile we were beset on all sides by thieving monkeys, skulking kobolds, monstrous forest spiders, kidnapping goblins, fell goat-horned humanoids and heinous forest imps. A makeshift military was whipped up from the miners, but the two fighting dwarves refused to use the picks that I put on their uniforms. At first I thought I had sent Sigund Hatefierce and his less-skilled apprentice out to their deaths, but time and again they proved to be unstoppable. They throttled kobolds, punched a goblin's back teeth out, ripped a monkey's face off and tore the legs off a big, web-shooting monster spider.

And then the jungle titan attacked. A winged quadruped made of salt that jittered and shook. The martial arts master Sigund went to dispatch the abomination, but after dodging the creatures' first two charges, he was trampled underfoot and kicked so hard he was sent flying, the blow crushing his brain and killing him. His apprentice, Mothramlid arrived only a moment after his master's death and proceeded to break his right hand punching the legs off a gigantic monster made of salt, causing the beast to topple over and explode into a gigantic pile of salt. Machinesubmerge was safe, but at the cost of it's greatest martial warrior. Mothramlid, once the student, was now the master.

Tonight, he begins the his quest to pass down his training and experience to a new generation of dwarven martial artists. So once again, I extend the invitation to you awesome, suportive people to see if this story gets any more crazy then it already is. This will go on at 9 PM, US Eastern Standard Time at www.twitch.tv/viewtifulrexx and if you do the twittering, you can follow me at https://twitter.com/Viewtifulrexx and receive a tweet the moment I go live.

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:31:19 am »

Tonight comes with conflicting feelings.

The attempt to continue the legacy of Sigun Hatefierce failed. An ambush by goblin flagellants before the fortress warriors was fully prepared resulted in Mothramlid being killed by green-skinned invaders. Ten dwarves died in that invasion as an army of recruits were hastily thrown into whatever military-grade gear was about and set to attack the goblin hordes.

However, not all hope is lost. In the quest to find iron and begin making weapons to restart the military project, lots of native platinum was discovered. This, along with semi-precious gems, should give Machinesubmerged an economic advantage, and the export of precious trinkets will attract new dwarves.

The military is still top priority, and the dwarves will probably have to settle for copper until superior metals can be found. A hospital is next on the list once the military gears are turning and some traps are going to have to be constructed to assist in defenses in the meanwhile. Things are grim in Machinesubmerged, but not hopeless.

Thanks to everyone who showed up! It is always a pleasure streaming for you all and I'll be starting this up again next Friday at 9 PM EST.

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 02:40:53 pm »

In commemoration of the death of Mothmramlid at the hands of goblin flagellants, I figured I'd draw the highlight of his dwarven life; namely the fight where he punched the legs off of a titan made of salt. Enjoy!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:41:28 pm by viewtifulrexx »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:01:46 pm »

You might want to spoiler that. Also, if you plan on streaming regularly, you might want to consider making a new topic, since the OP in this one can't be edited due to your account switch.

I'd let this one die for a bit, though. Otherwise, people might accuse you of being a spammer/spambot.

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »

You might want to spoiler that. Also, if you plan on streaming regularly, you might want to consider making a new topic, since the OP in this one can't be edited due to your account switch.

I'd let this one die for a bit, though. Otherwise, people might accuse you of being a spammer/spambot.

I appreciate the advice about the spoiler tags, but I can always just hop on the old account when I need to change the stream dates. 

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »

Hahah, I love that drawing of Mothmramlid vs. the salt titan!

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:13 pm »

Hahah, I love that drawing of Mothmramlid vs. the salt titan!

Thank you very much! I was reading a bit of your blog and you're a much better writer then me.  :D I'm interested in reading the whole thing when I have some time for it.

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 06:50:19 pm »

Just a reminder that I will be streaming Friday, December 5th (tomorrow!) at 9 PM Eastern Standard Time, as well as on the 6th and 7th. Looking forward to having you guys join me for Masterworf DF and to see if murderous goblins overwhelm my badly-defended fortress :'D

Chezmonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:46:24 pm »

Yo people! Come join us at the stream! We need more chatters! Show support for the brave person who decided to Stream hours of DF!

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 01:27:16 am »

I just want to thank everyone who showed up to chat, help me get through Masterwork, and watch warlocks try to steal the crap in my fortress for no reason whatsoever! Seriously what do they even want with an empty wooden bin. I guess their warlock homes are cluttered with as much crap as my fortress is.

I'll be streaming again Saturday, December 7th at 9PM Eastern Standard time! Will we finally get a running hospital? Perhaps we can establish a military that can actually protect the horde from skulking filth! Machinesubmered has seen some shit, but it's come through the fires over and over, and with perseverance maybe we can get migrants to start coming back. :')

viewtifulrexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 02:35:46 pm »

Decided to make a less-slummy picture for my 'taking a break' pic for the stream.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you think?
Pages: [1] 2 3