Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87775 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #780 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »

Coldbones OceanMansion (+0 -> +2) Proposes the Miner's Guild
For:2
Against:0
Result: The mining guild is formed, coldbones gains 2 influence.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 07, 2014, 11:00:15 am »

3. RP and aesthetics. This probably should have been number 1. What will this site represent? How will it look? How will it be used? How will it expand?
Basically it can be a sound RP strategy to build a factory far away, and then build a hamlet around it: homes for the workers, a small kitchen, minecart terminal for booze import/brick export, a curtain wall with tiny towers, own part-time militia guarding the walls, own small wood furnace and a resident lumberjack... Nice and cosy...
Otherwise I do not see why exactly people want to start their stuff in the middle of nowhere, away from everything, even more vulnerable then GorgeAdmired itself. Their call though. Whatever lights your fire guys :).
I quite like that idea! Although it maybe better to design with that in mind. The factory design was based on the fact that nearly everything would be in the building self.
But the idea of having some industries farther away from the center appeals me. Maybe something like a fortified farmland?

Congratulations!

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »

Did the mining hall get approved as well?  I thought it did, in which case I should have 4 influence, I think right?

Also, I can't figure out how to use the arena to get a screenshot of my design.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 07, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »

Ah, Ahem, we may be going through more important issues, but I feel it should be said. Zargoth, one of our full-time soldiers, previously disgraced himself. But in this battle he did his duty well, as did all who fought, but mention goes to him who we saw as a fool.

So I ask you, has he not proven his worth as a solider? Can we forgive his previous foolishness now that we have seen that he is more than just talk, but a true defender of our fort?

Cain Tongstell (15) Acclaims Zargoth Snarlclasps (-2)

For:1
Aganst:0

OOC
Yes it did get approved, Coldbones should have +4 now. What are you having trouble with?

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 07, 2014, 12:15:36 pm »

Also, I can't figure out how to use the arena to get a screenshot of my design.
Cain uses dfhack for placing walls in the arena I think. My advice is to use the Gorgeadmired save or one of your fortresses and build the design there. It's a lot easier to place and remove walls yourself than to use dfhack for that.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 07, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »

Cain uses dfhack for placing walls in the arena I think. My advice is to use the Gorgeadmired save or one of your fortresses and build the design there. It's a lot easier to place and remove walls yourself than to use dfhack for that.
This is correct.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 07, 2014, 03:21:04 pm »

Cain Tongstell (+15) Acclaims Zargoth Snarlclasps (-2)
It is true he was only harangued and demeaned so due to his insensitive words, and an expectation he could not, or worse, would not do his part.  proving himself as a soldier carries merit indeed.

OOC
Did the mining hall get approved as well?  I thought it did, in which case I should have 4 influence, I think right?
right you are, my mistake, I must have forgotten to do that back then.
Keep in mind though the mining guild doesn't own it yet, that will have to be a separate vote.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:23:01 pm by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 07, 2014, 03:44:39 pm »

-snip-
OOC
Yes it did get approved, Coldbones should have +4 now. What are you having trouble with?

Just getting the walls and such in place, I may just have to try building it in a fort or something.  The Gorgeadmired save won't run for me - I can view the fort (although only after about a half hour of load time) but if I unpause the FPS just drops to 0 and doesn't move, nor do any dwarves.  My 2008 MacBook just doesn't have the jam to run an 11x11 embark!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:43 pm »

Hmmm...would this be acceptable as a memorial arch?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOC: I tried to keep it relatively normal (and functional, which is why I incorporated statues into the design, so as to keep dwarves relatively happy), and I hope I've made it look similar enough to real arches, which is why I suggest placing it behind the main gate.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 07, 2014, 06:21:00 pm »

I quite like that idea! Although it maybe better to design withо that in mind. The factory design was based on the fact that nearly everything would be in the building self.
Noone stops you from making changes and passing a vote to approve an updated design instead. More votes = more influence gains(or loses).

Even after we have built it you can always sell the building to another group and mandate your new building to be built elsewhere.
Maybe something like a fortified farmland?
Sounds pretty gamey and unreal to me. Is there any RL cases?

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:45 am »

For:3

Any soldier who has put his life on the line in the name of the fortress should deserve some form of forgiveness for his past transgressions.

OOC
thanks for the military report, cain! I must say, we have an awful lot of munitions for ~5 dwarves.
no one could have anticipated this

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 08, 2014, 01:41:40 am »

For:4

Aye, I'll support those that put their lives at risk to protect the settlement. 

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 08, 2014, 05:16:33 am »

Greetings Senators,

I ask you: where do work towards? What are our plans and when will that happen?
These are the things that trouble my mind while I bake bricks.

(OOC:In other words, I would like to know what our main priorities are. So we can fill up the http://gorgeadmired.wikia.com/wiki/Plans page and gives us something to design/think/talk about.)

For:5

I agree, he has proven his worth a soldier.

OOC:
Noone stops you from making changes and passing a vote to approve an updated design instead. More votes = more influence gains(or loses).

Even after we have built it you can always sell the building to another group and mandate your new building to be built elsewhere.
Ah well, I like the design as it is. I prefer to focus my energy on future buildings. :)

Quote from: Teledwarf
Sounds pretty gamey and unreal to me. Is there any RL cases?
Hmm, you're right. I can't find any evidence of fortified farms.
Although if we are going to place some big farms in the future I suppose something like the villa rustica (a Roman countryside villa) would fit in nicely.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 08, 2014, 06:20:06 am »

OOC: Some middle age castles had a small area of farmland inside, but generally, these were not enough to support the castle on it's own. Then again, if the Great Wall of China makes China count as a fortified area, putting any size of farmland inside our palisades would be slightly more realistic than reality.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 08, 2014, 07:28:25 am »

Cain Tongstell (+15 -> 16) Acclaims Zargoth Snarlclasps (-2 -> +3 )
For:5
Result: Zargoth gains 5 influence, cain gains 1 influence.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60