Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87841 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:28 pm »

What does Kerod do around the settlement other than council work and the crossbow fighting? If I am to mention the trivialities of his day-to-day, and how all sorts of interesting events keep interrupting it, then I sort of need to know what he does (recently or at the start), if anything at all. I suppose anyone with the save could find it, if they had the time.

Kerod began by erecting the longhall with others, doing all kinds of jobs like carpentry, cooking, distilling, woodcutting, etc... You would be better off checking his skills though, as I do not remember any more what exactly was his role before first ambush.
After first ambush he tended the wounded, at least he tried, but constant breaks, drinking and eating severely limited his time.
After second ambush there was a lot of sentiment about how senator's lives should be protected, so he, as well as other senators are on 24/7 training ever since.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 29, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »

Nope. Only for eating or doing specific jobs (manager, bookkeeper).
Dwarves drink on the spot (usually booze stockpile). Rest (on Break) in any meeting area. Party in any meeting area except zones (room required).
So if that hall will be build underground - there is a chance miners will eat there, but they will make a trip to surface each feeding to  grab some food from the stockpile. I think it would be more efficient to place booze on two tiles and food on two other tiles. Unless you for some reason detest food in miner's hall :)

Nope, no objection, I was just trying to make it so that the miners had an excuse to head to the surface, and the longhall, to see other dwarves.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 29, 2014, 06:15:08 pm »

OOC
well while bows and crossbows have the exact same firing velocity and force (And bolts and arrows have the same stats), bows are lighter (allowing your dwarves to move that much faster) and fire faster.
The only problem is you can't get good quality bows OR arrows.
Also yeah they do train different melee skills, but I don't know which you should prefer, sword or hammer skill.  Probably sword if there are no undead to contend with.
Random lurker who's just entertained by the story
noooooo you must join!  You can lurk as a peasant?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 29, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »

Random lurker who's just entertained by the story
noooooo you must join!  You can lurk as a peasant?

Nooooo, I haven't the faintest clue what I would do, I'm just amused by your shenanigans, having anything even remotely approximately a social obligation would set my brain on fire

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:56 pm »

Nope, no objection, I was just trying to make it so that the miners had an excuse to head to the surface, and the longhall, to see other dwarves.

In DF critters look around and calculate distances using neutrino beams. And also in DF one step sideways is as difficult as climbing several meters up or down (z level).  This means that if miner's hall  is built a little to the side of (not directly under) the longhall - miners will sometimes choose to come and feast in longhall, as well as other dwarves will sometimes choose to visit the underground canteen.

well while bows and crossbows have the exact same firing velocity and force (And bolts and arrows have the same stats), bows are lighter (allowing your dwarves to move that much faster) and fire faster.
The only problem is you can't get good quality bows OR arrows.
Also yeah they do train different melee skills, but I don't know which you should prefer, sword or hammer skill.  Probably sword if there are no undead to contend with.

Speed difference sounds nice, but is it really significant or at least noticeable? Because latest science regarding war hammers shown(If I understood the reports from royal scientists correctly) that silver is better then steel, steel is better then iron and iron is better then copper. But the difference between silver and copper is negligible over the lifespan of the dwarf. It is actually smaller then random error and begins to really surface only over the course of thousands of attacks. If the firing speed is as negligible(because marksmen are still metal-clad) - then why bother?

Also I am not quite sure that bow is a better sword then crossbow is a hammer.

I have not seen any undead in the area, but who knows what is lurking in the woods and under ground?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 30, 2014, 06:36:48 pm »

The situation, while not dire, is not ideal.  Citizens are dying in warfare, and families have been broken.  I'm sure none of you deny that the more helping hands we have the more we can achieve, and the safer we will be.  Now I do not speak to all senators, but SOME have shown a disregard for the wellbeing of this settlement, and seem content to rest with the benefits of power without contributing anything of their own!  I propose we send them back to work in the fields until they have a respect for the lower orders, and perhaps one day they may rise again!
Neblime Inkydance (+13) calls for the deposition of Derpislava Patternedlance (+10)
For:1
Against:0

OOC
I thought it was about time we got rid of the more inactive senators, if they come back to the thread we can always acclaim them or something for having learned the hard way....
Basically it just seems unfair to me that none of the new players can aspire to the council without getting a large amount of influence.

also:
well bows are definitely worse than crossbows in melee because they weigh less.
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 31, 2014, 04:32:46 am »

While blankness of some senators saddens me too, I cannot leave it unnoticed that there are not one, but three idle senators. Surely it would be more fair to target your own lover, Senator FireCrazy? Aren't you trying to misuse senatorial trust and  strengthen your own position, eliminating any unexpected voters?

On a political side, it is pretty easy right now to gain 10 influence from scratch by helping others and getting acclaimed for it here and there. The influence threshold(and you have written the law yourself) is there for a reason: we do not want idle people replacing other idle people. If there are no new candidacies for the senatorial seat - that is only because no one qualifies by the activity and usefulness levels, though over time I can see that at least Elorf, ColdBones and even Zargoth could rise to power naturally, without any additional "help", by just serving the community and assuming important roles.

Neblime Inkydance (+13) calls for the deposition of Derpislava Patternedlance (+10)
For:1
Against:1

OOC: Overall I am a bit suspicious to this vote, but not strongly opposed. I do not have anything good to say about Derpislava's work in the senate, but I do not see any reason to throw her away right now. She is not hurting anyone, is she?
Also the idea to throw people out of council and then acclaim without any proper improvement (like you did with D4E) sounds wierd to me: if you do not want them to be uninfluential - do not conspire against them in the first place.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 31, 2014, 05:25:40 am »

Dear Teledwarf, I fully support the deposition of Firecrazy (sorry dear), I am merely respecting due process, while not a written law it seems convention to not have two major votes at once.  I gaurantee you I will initiate or support the deposition of firecrazy, does that change your mind?
OOC
About acclaiming people after we throw them out i meant if they turn out not to be inactive (just very shy or something), and if there is a senate seat open it encourages people to strive for influence as well as the position itself.  Feel free to oppose just because neblime inkydance is the one who proposed it though :P

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 31, 2014, 08:32:19 am »

That is definitely a step towards acceptance, but I am still not convinced why do we need to remove senators before there is anyone worthy to replace them.

OOC: IMHO, as I understood, acclamation is the recognition of service, real or made up. Acclaiming people to compensate their influence loss just because they were too  shy in the first place sounds really weird to me. Maybe I am missing something here? I thought that idleness, inactivity, shyness, laziness, "grace" - were the exact reasons why people lost their influence.
Also why would I oppose something only because it was proposed by my dear IC friend and companion Neblime Inkydance?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 31, 2014, 11:08:38 am »

While I agree, we should have a replacement first, the position comes with responsibility, if a council member will not do their duty as a council member, maybe they shouldn't be on the council. I would have them removed from the  council to strip away any special treatment that is unearned.

For:2
Against:1

OOC
Fully support removing them, we should have a replacement though. Well maybe you don't trust him, seemed like it from your earlier post.

Hey how do you feel about letting citizens have a vote in council matters, like they all vote among themselves and present one vote based on the most popular option. Would require more players though and a minimum amount voting, also more ridge thinking on when they get to take part, having a part in all council votes would be a bit much. People in a position of power would of course be unable to vote along the citizen vote.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 31, 2014, 11:40:45 am »

Hey how do you feel about letting citizens have a vote in council matters, like they all vote among themselves and present one vote based on the most popular option. Would require more players though and a minimum amount voting, also more ridge thinking on when they get to take part, having a part in all council votes would be a bit much. People in a position of power would of course be unable to vote along the citizen vote.

Maybe every representative of a group/organization can give a vote in council matters? Like Citizens Liaisons representing citizens or Guild Leaders representing their guild.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 31, 2014, 11:57:17 am »

Elorf, how is your brick factory design going? I wanted to build it on weekend, but we need to pass a work order for that to happen.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 31, 2014, 12:39:01 pm »

Well as neither have mentioned it here, for those you who don't check the wiki often, like Kero:
http://gorgeadmired.wikia.com/wiki/Brick_Factory.

So, I can just throw whatever design you need on, regardless of if it has been approved, denied, or even presented?
Edit:Going to edit the design page if we can, can't have ideas that have not been presented or have been denied sitting with the ones that have been approved. Just for convenience sake.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:50:12 pm by Cain12 »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 31, 2014, 12:51:27 pm »

I guess it would depend on how crazy we want to go on the wiki.  If there's a desire for it, we could have a proposed, rejected and approved design sections, but thats a lot more work to keep up to date.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:57 pm »

Cain, exactly. You guys can put whatever you want in that wiki.
Then to get it built we will have to at least somehow discuss it. If noone is against it or if it is not a very large project(like those smelters) - we can construct it without a vote. Large projects(brick factory, smithy, etc...) and those projects that had any opposition(mining hall) should be voted on though. If we had an urban commissioner - he would be able to propose a "development plan" - a sequence of what should be built and when. This would greatly decrease the need for separate votes.

For example there in the brick factory we discussed it with Elorf in comments.

I guess it would depend on how crazy we want to go on the wiki.  If there's a desire for it, we could have a proposed, rejected and approved design sections, but thats a lot more work to keep up to date.

Very crazy. We want to have EVERYTHING(proposals, laws, legislations, rankings, links, profiles...) on the wiki, and only ongoing chit-chat in the new thread in community games subforum.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:00:54 pm by TeleDwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60