Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87812 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #660 on: January 28, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »

Hey, regarding the wiki, do we want the characters surnames to be translated or not (i.e. "Neblime Lokotmatul" or "Neblime Inkydance")? I was fixing some dead links in the battle of 128, then realized after publishing that I wasn't sure which to leave it at. I suppose I should aim for consistency, so I have decided to ask what you lot think.

OOC

Is there a list of council positions that I can't find somewhere? 

OOC: There was some sort of list I think, but I once had the same trouble finding it, so I suppose one of our more reliable councillors could perhaps repeat it for us?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:20 pm »

Cain Tongstell (+19 -> 22) Petitions to be come Citizen Liason
For:3
Against:0
Result: Cain gains the position and 3 influence, and his close family will gain 1 influence each if he ever gets any as he now has 20 influence.

OOC
so about chronicles, are they more like an IC record that our character would write? (whether they're objective or not isn't necessarily dependent on that) I thought they were supposed to be an OOC summary of a large portion of history, or like you said about some entity or time.

Also thanks for linking that cain, but why dont I list it here to make it a bit easier:
Council positions:
Council Secretary (Neblime Inkydance)
War Leader (empty.  not necessarily an officer on the front line, more of a strategist and overall commander.  Has power to make military decisions without a vote (like in the battle of 128 how we discussed what to do, the warleader can just say ok, the peasants will attack))
Royal Liason (Teledwarf TownTunnel)
Citizen Liason (Cain Tongstell)
Additionally any/all of the normal dwarven nobles can be voted on (I assume they're full of unmentionables at present) but NOT taken by council members.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:36:04 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:19 pm »

IC
Well, the design of the dining room a appears somewhat fancy, for a miners quarters, but I suppose by the time we make it you will have earned it, I hope we lose no more miners this year. On second thought your request for stone may be unreasonable, it is your fault that we lack stone, if I might be frank, and to request statues while we only recently have the mines working again may be asking too much. I will have to reconsider.

For:0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:35:26 pm by Cain12 »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »

IC
Well, the design of the dining room a appears somewhat fancy, for a miners quarters, but I suppose by the time we make it you will have earned it, I hope we lose no more miners this year. On second thought your request for stone may be unreasonable, it is your fault that we lack stone, if I might be frank, and to request statues while we only recently have the mines working again may be asking too much. I will have to reconsider.

For:0
IC

The statue is taken from the Standardized Housing Act and could certainly be left out, or the space left empty until such time as we have the additional resources and manpower to carve and place them.  Carving the hall in stone will produce stone boulders for construction of other things; stone blocks, statues, mechanisms, pots, etc.  Building it above ground would mean that we would need other resources, likely wood, to build the structure.  At this time, the hall need only have a few beds, a few tables and a few chairs - we can leave the living quarters area unexcavated until things are more established and we can afford the luxury.  If a small dormitory and lunch room are provided it will allow us miners to remain closer to the mines for longer periods of time, leaving the mines only to eat supper.  This should increase productivity, allowing us to provide more materials, stone and ore, more quickly for the settlement.

OOC
I'm calling lunch drinking in game and supper eating in game, in case that isn't clear.  So we would only store booze here, set the stockpiles to take from the main booze stockpile so they are always full, etc.  I don't know, to be honest, how the break/drink stuff works, if a dwarf will head to the nearest drink stockpile and then the nearest table, or if they will have preferences, or what.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 28, 2014, 07:34:18 pm »

Very well, your argument is sound, take good care of your fellow miners.

Coldbones Oceanmansion (0) proposes design for mining hall

For:1
Aganst:0

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:36 pm »

IC
I've felt so.. out of touch recently. My eyes and those of my brethren have seen what no other should see, the merciless slaughtering of our people due to our lack of a more than capable military. I may have been drafted into an arising conflict, but I want to take it upon myself to protect my comrades from that escalating heat of combat. I wish to become a soldier of my people.

OOC
sorry I haven't participated, I was a little busy with a sudden influx of school work. I'm better off now and will be keeping up with the thread. about the above, I guess I'd like to be full time soldier of the fortress, but I'm not too familiar if it's that simple.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:55:42 pm by Mr.Mountain »
no one could have anticipated this

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:53 am »

OOC
so about chronicles, are they more like an IC record that our character would write? (whether they're objective or not isn't necessarily dependent on that) I thought they were supposed to be an OOC summary of a large portion of history, or like you said about some entity or time.
OOC: Yeah, That is the idea. IC or OOC is all about personal preference, as people can write about their lives in thirdperson.
All the following is in no way official or truth. All people are made up. All names similarities are unintentional. :)
Let's take for example an account of ColdBones and associated events. Officially (at the moment) he was a rather skilled miner, who accidentally breached the aquifer in the mines, and had an unpleasant accident happend to him, Iden and Cain.
Unofficially some may find it weird that he got away so unscratched. A thought can be presented where he is considered to be a goblin spy.
First it can be argued that even before his recognition as a PC he have been the one mining ground from under Cain's wife and other NPC miner , encasing them in ice. Then he could be blamed of tricking Mafol outside, and handing her over to a goblin snatcher. Being such a spy he obviously looked for a way to impede dwarven military development, and thus breached the aquifer, intentionally flooding the mines. Then he could have taken a piece of chicken soap to coat a ramp, and thus crippling Cain and killing Iden.
All this stuff might have happened (I am speaking OOC here, and in no way implying that it DID happen.) And even if if it did not happen - some may use this version as a weapon to strike ColdBones' popularity, or even execute him as a spy. Personal Accounts and Chronicles should help to get this kind of backstabbing going.

IC: Coldbones, also
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133733.msg4802607#msg4802607
And it is also possible to create other positions as needed, as long as vote succeeds and you define the role clearly enough.
And regarding the mining hall:
1. Standardized Housing Act failed as far as I remember, so no need to comply with it.
2. Dwarves go to the nearest free barrel and drink from it at the spot. Unless military, who take the barrel to their ordered location, and drink there. But military use waterskins for that, so it is not common in GorgeAdmired
Dwarves select the nearest free table or chair, then go to the nearest free food item, take it to selected table or chair and it it there.
Why do you want only booze stockpiles? Why not food stockpiles too?
3. Who are you referring to as "immediate family"? wife and children? or all homeless mentionables?

I've felt so.. out of touch recently. My eyes and those of my brethren have seen what no other should see, the merciless slaughtering of our people due to our lack of a more than capable military. I may have been drafted into an arising conflict, but I want to take it upon myself to protect my comrades from that escalating heat of combat. I wish to become a soldier of my people.

Dear senators. We will need another set of iron plate armor. I plan to arm Mr.Mountain with a trophy lightsabre :). Any thoughts? do we even need to bring so simple tasks before the council?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:21 am »

Dear senators. We will need another set of iron plate armor. I plan to arm Mr.Mountain with a trophy lightsabre :). Any thoughts? do we even need to bring so simple tasks before the council?
well a war leader would certainly make such decisions much quicker, but i'm all for using claimed goblin weapons.  Bows are actually better than crossbows in some ways, only problem is inability to manufacture arrows.
OOC:
I will get started on the chronicle from neblime inkydance's point of view immediately then..
Also i think we should say immedaite family is siblings parents and children ONLY.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:59 am »

-snip-
IC: Coldbones, also
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133733.msg4802607#msg4802607
And it is also possible to create other positions as needed, as long as vote succeeds and you define the role clearly enough.
And regarding the mining hall:
1. Standardized Housing Act failed as far as I remember, so no need to comply with it.
2. Dwarves go to the nearest free barrel and drink from it at the spot. Unless military, who take the barrel to their ordered location, and drink there. But military use waterskins for that, so it is not common in GorgeAdmired
Dwarves select the nearest free table or chair, then go to the nearest free food item, take it to selected table or chair and it it there.
Why do you want only booze stockpiles? Why not food stockpiles too?
3. Who are you referring to as "immediate family"? wife and children? or all homeless mentionables?
1. Ah, ok, I couldn't find what the outcome was, although I didn't scroll through too much. 
2. Oh, so tables are only required for eating?  I included tables and chairs to give them somewhere to sit, what about break?  Do they use the chairs for breaks?  I thought no food to allow the miners to socialize with the other dwarves and not be completely isolated in the mines and their mining hall.
3.  I actually just meant spouse and children.  Brothers and sisters etc should end up in their own guild hall...unless the family is wealthy and influential enough to have their own manor.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 29, 2014, 11:12:28 am »

OOC
The Coldbones is a goblin spy thing reminds me of some paranoid thoughts/distorting the truth to avoid guilt, I was thinking of putting in Cain's head. That Coldbones was an assassin. Chose not to in the end but figure I can share.

The way it worked in this scenario of his was that Dwarf4Explosive heard word from someone that she was being removed from power by the rest of the council, and Cain was to be her replacement. So she hired Coldbones, a miner who already had a reputation for accidents, perhaps being her M.O, to kill Cain and Iden (to send a message to Kerod), then made sure they were the only ones working on the aquifer freezing project. The plan had failed, a citizen braved the danger and saved Cain, Iden was lost however.

Have finished the first entry of Cain's journal, which details why he came here, and what tragedy befell him shortly after, its sort of long but it is a recap.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:19:38 pm by Cain12 »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 29, 2014, 01:25:46 pm »

well a war leader would certainly make such decisions much quicker, but i'm all for using claimed goblin weapons.  Bows are actually better than crossbows in some ways, only problem is inability to manufacture arrows.
The bowgob did not impress me at all. He, of course, managed to place an arrow into trade liaison's belly, but nothing else. The the lightning-fast marksgob of the first ambush was so much more intimidating... Maybe it is was because of their skill differences though. I guess we will never know.
What exactly are the bow advantages over crossbow?

2. Oh, so tables are only required for eating?  I included tables and chairs to give them somewhere to sit, what about break?  Do they use the chairs for breaks?  I thought no food to allow the miners to socialize with the other dwarves and not be completely isolated in the mines and their mining hall.
Nope. Only for eating or doing specific jobs (manager, bookkeeper).
Dwarves drink on the spot (usually booze stockpile). Rest (on Break) in any meeting area. Party in any meeting area except zones (room required).
So if that hall will be build underground - there is a chance miners will eat there, but they will make a trip to surface each feeding to  grab some food from the stockpile. I think it would be more efficient to place booze on two tiles and food on two other tiles. Unless you for some reason detest food in miner's hall :)

Have finished the first entry of Cain's journal, which details why he came here, and what tragedy befell him shortly after, its sort of long but it is a recap.

Do not worry. It is a task for current and future chroniclers to crawl through all documents, cross check them and try to guess where is actually the truth :)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2014, 03:38:59 pm »

So you guys will be the only ones to interpret history and evaluate the past. I, being an overseer, of course will answer any factual question you may have, but only about recent or ongoing events.

Hi, was attempting to write Kerod's Diary (small writing project, and a practice in coherent narration) earlier, and had a small detail that I was unsure of: What does Kerod do around the settlement other than council work and the crossbow fighting? If I am to mention the trivialities of his day-to-day, and how all sorts of interesting events keep interrupting it, then I sort of need to know what he does (recently or at the start), if anything at all. I suppose anyone with the save could find it, if they had the time.

I figure that if Cain's is to be near factual (assuming from his rather serious demeanour), then Kerod's shall be a self-centred farce focussing on the trivial thoughts and minor problems that plague his ever-so-entitled life. Less lying and more leaving certain events out-of-focus, hence making it worthless to all but a rather desperate biographer.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »

OOC
I think the only differences between bows and arrows are the skills it takes to use melee with them. Bows use the sword skill during melee while crossbows use the axe or hammer skill (I'm not so sure about the crossbow). I could be wrong, though.
no one could have anticipated this

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2014, 04:36:02 pm »

OOC
I think the only differences between bows and arrows are the skills it takes to use melee with them. Bows use the sword skill during melee while crossbows use the axe or hammer skill (I'm not so sure about the crossbow). I could be wrong, though.
Random lurker who's just entertained by the story: hammer. Definitely hammer.

-relurks-

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60