Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87763 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #630 on: January 26, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »

Friends, there is a matter which has been weighing on my mind recently, and I would have mentioned it sooner if not for the goblin attack.
Although dwarf4explosive has been considered unfit for the council, he in no way resisted or argued against his deposition.
A dwarf who can so gracefully step down from power deserves our forgiveness for his past failings.
Neblime Inkydance (+13) Acclaims Dwarf4Explosives Brassdelights (-3)
For:1
Against:0

But where would you draw the line between "grace" and "deranged lunacy"? Maybe he just did understand what was going on? We have no reasons to believe any grace was involved. He just said "Meh, I was not interested anyway...". Does not look like grace to me.

For:2
Against:2

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 26, 2014, 04:55:41 pm »

I could give a hand with the brick factory design, considering my pottery background.

OOC: Make sure to include the wooden supports. There was a post about building design quite a while ago, and I'll take a look for it if you want. Poor Cain tells me that adapting his designs to it was such bother, but it does make the buildings more interesting, I suppose. Either way, I am sure that your assistance will be appreciated.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01:17 pm »

OOC: Make sure to include the wooden supports. There was a post about building design quite a while ago, and I'll take a look for it if you want. Poor Cain tells me that adapting his designs to it was such bother, but it does make the buildings more interesting, I suppose. Either way, I am sure that your assistance will be appreciated.

OOC: You guys are awesome... Digging stuff up, posting it on the wiki, helping each other :) I am really happy!
If you could put those important things in the wiki we would abandon this thread and create a couple of threads in the Community forum :) Basically everything relevant should be in the wiki.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 26, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »

I could give a hand with the brick factory design, considering my pottery background.

Found it:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133733.msg4864146#msg4864146
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 26, 2014, 05:46:10 pm »

This an attempt at a metal smith forge, would it be suitable?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the old version, for comparison of changes made:

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:11 am »

Not being a born architect, I cannot discern the niceties of design, but I would be very pleased if we could construct a building of even the smaller proposed size.  I do however trust your judgement cain and believe these to be good designs.

Teledwarf, if you declare that d4x is a deranged lunatic, then perhaps even then he is more blameless as he requires a trip to the hospital he did not recieve!  Reconsider, do you wish him to live his life as an outcast?  Perhaps it is better for someone who has served our mission on the council to have some respect for doing so
OOC
elorf and mountain, remember you can vote on my acclaim, that isn't a council issue! (and i encourage you to vote on everything you can, one way or another)
ALSO; this will now be a 24 hour because I tried to convince meany teledwarf >:(

OOC: You guys are awesome... Digging stuff up, posting it on the wiki, helping each other :) I am really happy!
If you could put those important things in the wiki we would abandon this thread and create a couple of threads in the Community forum :) Basically everything relevant should be in the wiki.
hmm, maybe!  thats a good use for the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:35:10 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2014, 07:59:47 am »

Sure, I'll look into that. As for the brick factory design, I was thinking to make it like an Industrial Age factory. Big, smoky and full with dwarf families labouring day and night.
A bit like this:

Or is a more medieval theme preferred?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 27, 2014, 09:20:16 am »

Teledwarf, if you declare that d4x is a deranged lunatic, then perhaps even then he is more blameless as he requires a trip to the hospital he did not recieve!  Reconsider, do you wish him to live his life as an outcast?  Perhaps it is better for someone who has served our mission on the council to have some respect for doing so

I do not declare anything about d4x mental state, but I question the premise of any grace on his part. He may or may not need medical help, but even if he does it is still not the reason for heading his advice more.
OOC: As influence means capacity to convince others, respect to one's judgement, IIRC. As far as I understand the concept it is not about blame or merit, but instead "influence rating" means the influence of one's ideas over the minds of others.

Sure, I'll look into that. As for the brick factory design, I was thinking to make it like an Industrial Age factory. Big, smoky and full with dwarf families labouring day and night.

Or is a more medieval theme preferred?

Our overall theme is fall of the Roman Empire, begining of the Dark Ages, Europe.
But DF is not Europe, so basically anything +- thematic has a chance. Just no pyramids, Colossi, Pyramids, Skyforts and stuff like that, stuff that is obviously out of scope.

We also do not use bugs and unrealistic features. No impregnable walls, no training rooms, no unavoidable death traps, no whole buildings supported by a single floor tile... You get the idea.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 27, 2014, 09:26:27 am »

Our overall theme is fall of the Roman Empire, begining of the Dark Ages, Europe.
But DF is not Europe, so basically anything +- thematic has a chance. Just no pyramids, Colossi, Pyramids, Skyforts and stuff like that, stuff that is obviously out of scope.

We also do not use bugs and unrealistic features. No impregnable walls, no training rooms, no unavoidable death traps, no whole buildings supported by a single floor tile... You get the idea.
Alright! So as long as I include some vents/gaps, to let the toxic gases escape, in the design it's okay? :)

This an attempt at a metal smith forge, would it be suitable?

This is the old version, for comparison of changes made:
It looks like a little fortress, in a good way! :) For what are those rooms though? Are they bedrooms for the smiths?
Also, how do you make those designs? They look nice.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 27, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

This is becoming very interesting. OOC: Remember, hospital trips are something my character would disapprove of, at least for herself; she dislikes sanity and will therefore be at her most productive and happy when she is completely and utterly bonkers (or when she appears so, at any rate).
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »

It looks like a little fortress, in a good way! :) For what are those rooms though? Are they bedrooms for the smiths?
Also, how do you make those designs? They look nice.
Yeah the rooms are bedrooms for the smiths, since Kerod's Work-place/Living-space Integration Act, homes of full time workers need to be incorporated or near the building they work in.

I use Dfhack (liquids) and arena to make the designs, means I can't make beds or other stuff (well could probably give the icons to creatures and use them,  or something, but I wouldn't know how that would work if at all), as for graphics I use Phoebus.
Is the text colour easy enough to make out btw? It is clear enough for me but I wouldn't want to think I was hurting anyone's eyes.

Will be glad to have someone else to work on these, I've been putting it off, and it really is an easy way to climb the influence ladder.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 27, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »

Yeah the rooms are bedrooms for the smiths, since Kerod's Work-place/Living-space Integration Act, homes of full time workers need to be incorporated or near the building they work in.

I use Dfhack (liquids) and arena to make the designs, means I can't make beds or other stuff (well could probably give the icons to creatures and use them,  or something, but I wouldn't know how that would work if at all), as for graphics I use Phoebus.
Is the text colour easy enough to make out btw? It is clear enough for me but I wouldn't want to think I was hurting anyone's eyes.

Will be glad to have someone else to work on these, I've been putting it off, and it really is an easy way to climb the influence ladder.
Aha, I think I prefer using the save and design in there, with help of dfhack fastdwarf for speedy dwarves.
The text colour is fine for me, clear enough without burning my eyes.

Quote from: neblime
elorf and mountain, remember you can vote on my acclaim, that isn't a council issue! (and i encourage you to vote on everything you can, one way or another)
I'll abstain from this vote, don't have enough experience with Dwarf4Explosives to know if she's (stark-raving) mad.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 27, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »

Neblime Inkydance (+13 -> +13) Acclaims Dwarf4Explosives Brassdelights (-3 -> -1)
Result: D4X gains 2 influence
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 27, 2014, 05:27:44 pm »

Neblime Inkydance (+13 -> +13) Acclaims Dwarf4Explosives Brassdelights (-3 -> -1)
Result: D4X gains 2 influence

It was a weird vote. The two senators who most eagerly voted d4x out of the senate suddenly decided that they have rid the council of the most graceful and noteworthy member. I also have a strange feeling that we have very few active senators. Maybe we need some better ways to keep people involved and interested?

D4E, no hard feelings. By my vote I just wanted to enforce that falling out of power is a big deal with grave consequences. If a dwarf becomes so unpopular that he is thrown out of senate - he will have to work his way back to prominence against increased popular skepticism.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 27, 2014, 05:46:12 pm »

Aha, I think I prefer using the save and design in there, with help of dfhack fastdwarf for speedy dwarves.
The text colour is fine for me, clear enough without burning my eyes.
Okay, that sounds much more convenient and less bothersome to do than my method.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60