Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 88028 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

I dissaprove of the arch.  We cannot afford such extravagance for one individual, a 2x2 clay tomb will do.

For now I believe we should focus on

outfitting and training soldiers as best we can and spend our building efforts on houses and industry.

True, the arch is too much. Though I should clarify, she is meant to get a "normal" burial, the arch was intended as a vaguely extravagant token of his feelings to her.
I agree, we should focus on our defence, and we need to set up the clay workshops if we haven't already. Clay pots and such should allow us to trade for the goods we need, yes? What other industries can we set up? Do we have enough food?

I just noticed that Zargoth is actually a manager and controls the work orders. Why the hell is a non-council man a manager? Oh well, Should be happy i guess.

I think some positions were to be left to common folk, so as to prevent any one person having too much authority. I'm not sure if manager was one of them though.

And for Kero who is looking for kids:
Spoiler: kids (click to show/hide)
No orphans unfortunately.

Ah, thanks, that list should be useful. Though I wonder about Catten, is he really child at 15 years? I suppose Derpislavas' child is off the table without their expressed consent and IC reasoning.

Eh, I can probably just convince a non-council NPC family to give me one of the 1-2 month-olds, but what would a working class family want that I could provide?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:54:55 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2014, 11:34:15 am »

Uploaded map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11956-gorgeadmired
Uploaded save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8254

If someone could go through the players and update mentionables - it would be just great.

ColdBones, so you would like to create miner's memorial in our "temporary ore storage area"? That would be quite near the surface level (-1). I thought you wanted it in a more stony place.
Anyway, I guess we need some designs to continue discussion about it.
I thought the level below was an aquifer, which would make a hall and alcoves tough - ultimately, the best place, I think, would be the first layer below the aquifer that we start mining in (I'm under the impression that the very first layer under the aquifer is best left alone?)  Anyway, the memorial could be moved once we get below the aquifer, but for now I think a slab near the staircase that leads into the mines would be appropriate - with an alcove perhaps if its doable.

Design would be quite simple.

++++OOO++++
++++OnO++++
+++++++++++
+++++++++++
OO++XXX++OO
On++XXX++nO
OO++XXX++OO
+++++++++++
+++++++++++
++++OnO++++
++++OOO++++

n - slab
+ - floor, only smoothed in the alcove
0 - wall, constructed where we've mined the area out, smoothed where its a natural rock wall.

I left the 2x2 areas for access, so we don't get too many haulers jammed into areas.  If we have more than 4, then we could either do the same on the level below (assuming that mining on that level is complete, which I imagine it should be).  They could be bigger, but, being commoners, I don't think that there should be too much space for them.

I just thought of another option - we could leave the spot in the centre of the staircase as just dug out and place slabs to fallen miners there as well, although its less a hall of fallen miners that way.  And grievers would have nowhere to stand except on the stairs, so maybe that isn't such a great plan.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »

OOC
ill update the frontpage post with mentionables ASAP, on phone right now and its a pain to edit long messages.  Hopefully in future I can download the save myself in a timely fashion
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:26:46 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:05 am »

OOC
Well Dwarf4explosives, since you agreed to call off your wall plan it seems wrong to subtract influence for it, (the time for which has come) but I don't think you should be able to propose something and take it back without cost, so how does a loss of 1 influence for doing that kind of thing sound?
Also do people think I should record dead NPCs that didnt do anything notable in the player list?
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »

Kerod, I am not sure what should be the rules for the unnamed peasants adoption should be. The original idea was to invented for player-player interaction, as it make much more sense in terms of pros and cons. I, as a Royal Liaison, do not really care if unnamed peasants will be adopted or not, so these thoughts are just that - thoughts for consideration:

Do we want to encourage or penalize adoption from unnamed families? Penalizing makes more sense, because otherwise there would be no reason whatsoever to adopt from an established family.
Since the only resource(currency) we readily have right now is political influence, and that influence is already mentioned in adoption idea, we can just decide what is the default influence of a non-mentionable NPC? Setting it to a negative value would make sense for discouraging such adoptions, setting it to a positive value would encourage them, since adopter loses 40% of family influence difference.

It can also be a good to adjust all the values I used as example in those formulas to the more suitable values. Just before Kerod chooses some poor kid to carry his soul in an unfortunate event of his demise.

ColdBones, your design looks like freestanding alcoves built in the mined-out areas. Am I correct, or am I missing something?
The issue I can think of is the increased traffic to the mines: As I understand each slab should be designated as a tiny memorial, making whole area a rather busy one. Our current mines access shaft is basically one tile wide ladder, which can be pretty jammed if dwarves and livestock will start moving up and down continuously. Or are we not designating the memorial?

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »

Kerod, I am not sure what should be the rules for the unnamed peasants adoption should be. The original idea was to invented for player-player interaction, as it make much more sense in terms of pros and cons. I, as a Royal Liaison, do not really care if unnamed peasants will be adopted or not, so these thoughts are just that - thoughts for consideration:

Do we want to encourage or penalize adoption from unnamed families? Penalizing makes more sense, because otherwise there would be no reason whatsoever to adopt from an established family.
Since the only resource(currency) we readily have right now is political influence, and that influence is already mentioned in adoption idea, we can just decide what is the default influence of a non-mentionable NPC? Setting it to a negative value would make sense for discouraging such adoptions, setting it to a positive value would encourage them, since adopter loses 40% of family influence difference.

It can also be a good to adjust all the values I used as example in those formulas to the more suitable values. Just before Kerod chooses some poor kid to carry his soul in an unfortunate event of his demise.

OOC: Hm, you make good points. I will surely have to consider getting a PC child then. Oh well, I'll work out a deal with the first one to have a disposable child (I hope that Neblime-Firecrazy have twins or something.) Besides an NPC child is more of a last resort. I'm not sure how Kerod would feel about losing the influence, lol.

Also I hereby give +3 influence to Cain

IC: Cain is my confidant, my co-worker, my friend. We have much in common, but our most major difference is one of practicality. For where I see towers and arches and fountains, he sees workshops and houses and farms. It is my belief that someone like him would best serve our settlement, if only he had official backing. And so, I present it to him at this time. Know that his ideas shall have my full support from now on.

OOC: I wasn't entirely sure how to write the giving of influence. This should leave our influences at (if I kept proper track of these things):

Kerod had 12, loses 3, now has: 9
   Cain had 6, gains 3, now has: 9
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:13:09 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 13, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »

ColdBones, your design looks like freestanding alcoves built in the mined-out areas. Am I correct, or am I missing something?
The issue I can think of is the increased traffic to the mines: As I understand each slab should be designated as a tiny memorial, making whole area a rather busy one. Our current mines access shaft is basically one tile wide ladder, which can be pretty jammed if dwarves and livestock will start moving up and down continuously. Or are we not designating the memorial?

Correct - constructed in mined out areas, or mined out in areas that don't get mined out (for example if we have a layer or two of just straight staircases through material that we haven't/won't mine out).  I'm not sure we need to make each a memorial hall in the game sense (from the q menu of the slab) as those also double as meeting halls, but just construct a memorial slab there for the deceased miners. 

If we wanted to make a memorial hall, then that would be somewhere near the top of the mines, I would think, in a room with alcoves...which may eventually become the guild hall for miners.  But, I think we are a bit early in the development of the fort for that, just yet.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »

OOC
Well Dwarf4explosives, since you agreed to call off your wall plan it seems wrong to subtract influence for it, (the time for which has come) but I don't think you should be able to propose something and take it back without cost, so how does a loss of 1 influence for doing that kind of thing sound?
It's fine by me (And anyway, I doubt I'll be active much longer. This thread is moving a bit too fast for me).
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »

OOC
It's fine by me (And anyway, I doubt I'll be active much longer. This thread is moving a bit too fast for me).
Damn, losing another one. Don't think it is too fast, get 1-2 days for votes, get updates weekly at best, and the rest is just rp filler and ooc discussion. Will miss you somewhat.

IC
You praise me too much Kerod and I will need time before I design anything again. (OOC: Have a product design nab tomorrow, sorry)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2014, 05:22:54 pm »

OOC
aw d4x ;_; don't go
also as for unnamed peasants so far I've been assuming 0 influence for other purposes and I think that would be fine for adopting peasants.  Adopting peasants shouldn't give you influence after all.
also for giving influence that format is fine, as long as you have the ic explanation with it. 
-edit all done ^_^
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:36:47 pm by neblime »

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 15, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »

Heya, this looks quite fun. Can I be dwarfed too? As for the character sheet, can I copy one of the existing ones and fill it?

Cheers

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 15, 2014, 05:21:10 pm »

Aha, welcome to the thread :D
only teledwarf has the power to dwarf you, but as i understand it there is some required/preferred info:
Name, age, gender, marital status,  job preference, if any
and any kind of background/IC information

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 15, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »

Yay a new guy, welcome, hope we can get along. Its as Neblime said.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 16, 2014, 12:09:36 pm »

Aha, welcome to the thread :D
only teledwarf has the power to dwarf you, but as i understand it there is some required/preferred info:
Name, age, gender, marital status,  job preference, if any
and any kind of background/IC information

Alrighty, here's my character sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The background may be a bit rough... It's my first time roleplaying on a forum, heck it's my first time using a forum!

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 16, 2014, 12:19:45 pm »

How about ya'll set him up with Domas? We need more people in this family of Cain and Zargoth :D
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 60