Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87982 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2013, 09:32:07 am »

so I guess no real help from you guys. All that ranting and finger pointing, and no plans or ideas....

Kerod, you asked her to be decommissioned from all military service. Miner's ticket is an almost guaranteed exemption from any conscription (equipment conflict). And besides, she had mining skill at 9. Was I supposed to make her a cook or something?

I guess I could try enlisting a few more miners and architects to quickly dig a trench to the east of their positions, put a few pumps there and try to make them enough room for safe retreat. Can endanger even more dwarves though (well, because as we all know they will deliberately take the more dangerous path...). Will be doing that if no other(hopefully better) ideas will follow.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2013, 09:41:15 am »

so I guess no real help from you guys. All that ranting and finger pointing, and no plans or ideas....

Kerod, you asked her to be decommissioned from all military service. Miner's ticket is an almost guaranteed exemption from any conscription (equipment conflict). And besides, she had mining skill at 9. Was I supposed to make her a cook or something?

I guess I could try enlisting a few more miners and architects to quickly dig a trench to the east of their positions, put a few pumps there and try to make them enough room for safe retreat. Can endanger even more dwarves though (well, because as we all know they will deliberately take the more dangerous path...). Will be doing that if no other(hopefully better) ideas will follow.

OOC: I know, but does Kerod really seem like the kind of person to stay cool-headed during a crisis, especially one that endangers his friend and his lover? And I'm too much of a newb to even enable aquifers yet, so I know literally nothing about them except that they spew tons of water. I will look at the wiki and see what it suggests, but that's all I can really do here. All in all, I hope someone more competent than I comes along with a better idea.

Good point about the mining skill, was not aware of that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:18:44 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2013, 10:21:48 am »

I don't play with aquifers (and when I do I don't try anything I'm not competent enough to do), they are a stupid risk when water is already available, sorry for not being much help, still Cain shouldn't have been anywhere near the water, not that I can fault you for that since while that would actually be staying true to his character, it would also be far too much micromanagement for anyone.  Edit: Well a burrow may have been of use in that regard.

Did you just complain that we have no solutions to the mess you made of your own accord due to your own screw up? If the design had been discussed then maybe someone would have thought about our little pathing issue.

Now I am finger pointing, care to go back to not complaining at me for not knowing how to fix a mess I would never run into?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:25:44 am by Cain12 »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 28, 2013, 11:19:42 am »

Oh yeah - changed that rant into a thought instead of a scolding of the council.

Also, I've only played with an aquifer once, before I knew what they were and died a watery death.  I imagine that building a wall at that skinny part won't work or that's what you've already tried.  The only other idea I would have would be getting a shaft down to the caverns, but I doubt that would work anyway.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 28, 2013, 12:46:07 pm »

I suggest we get some miners to dig a tunnel to give the trapped dwarves a way out. Meanwhile, a floodgate and a drain are set up to allow us to close off the torrent of water. Preferably, the floodgate would be one tile into the tunnel so we won't end up accidentally opening it (and flood the fortress by doing so) in a moment of confusion concerning the connections of levers. Even if the tunnel doesn't flood when we're rescuing the trapped dwarves, at some point water will be running through that area and I'd rather we have that area closed off safely. Now that I think about it, it might be better to simply put it in a separate room (which will be set up so it is isolated from the rest of the fortress as long as the floodgate is open) and label the lever and the entire room. That way we'll have an emergency siege defense and water supply system.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 28, 2013, 03:44:56 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 29, 2013, 11:23:57 am »

OOC
So guess we aren't going to get any other ideas, thinking we should go with Tele's idea since he can actually see the map and all others with ideas said they couldn't look at it. Just an OOC thought.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 29, 2013, 01:19:37 pm »

you can see the map, the link is in that post.

Also do not be depressed about dying. DF is specifically designed to make dwarves expendable. And I do not see much fun in playing without aquifers or breaching them in a 100% safe, failproof way. That is just not dwarfy enough.

Ok, I saved them through a burrow to the east and restricting traffic to the west (so that they start climbing the right wall.), I then removed the burrow so they can escape, but apparently something glitched and they are just sitting there, doing nothing. Have anyone heard about this type of glitch? (burrowed dwarves stay in burrow area even after the burrow was deleted)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:01:50 pm by TeleDwarf »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 29, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »

I've never used burrows, but did you unassign them?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 29, 2013, 03:20:31 pm »

Nope, just deleted burrow. Fixed it by making another burrow a civilian sanctuary and then some alerts fun. But an interesting bug nonetheless. Continuing with mines reclamation project. Cain is lying on the ground, fully conscious. Not crawling to hospital, not taking job orders (we have some more kilns to build), not being rescued. He is being fed and given water though.

Someone have brought Cain to hospital.

Remember that Spring ambush that took Urist? Well, it was not the end of goblin exploits for this year. It is now summer and we have another sneaky ambush. This time one goblin lasher (featuring a fabled goblin whip) leads five goblin macemen  (featuring a variaty of weapons, including fabled goblin morningstars). Standard drill I guess, except now our full-time army will try to make its name too. Stay tuned.

Hmm. Goblins do not rush into the battle, they are just standing across the river. can they not path to us through river? should I build bridge to invite them?

My only architect-in-training is currently architect-in-hospital. And I am quite reluctant to assign someone else to do bridges. Maybe I can ignore them after all? but that whip is so pretty...

Also Lord_Lemonpie got missing. Is he just hunting overtime or did he lost his way in the woods?

Ok, you have no idea how hard it is to find one rotten corpse in the woods on a map this large.
Yeah, you guessed it right, I have found Lord_lemonpie. Looks like he was trying to cross a stream near the wester waterfall, but lost his step and fell in the deep northern river.

At least he was accompanied by a lovely waterfall while he was suffocating. I will try to recover his body in the winter and bury him properly. Maybe hunting here is not that good idea yet?

By the way, since you guys are pretty passive at naming things, how do you feel about naming this particular spot a "Lemonpie Waterfall"?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:22:25 pm by TeleDwarf »

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 29, 2013, 04:20:35 pm »

IC

Oh dear Cain, now you are paralyzed due to this.... accident. I must protect your wife while you stay in bed. I will eventually fight the goblin ambush but i've yet to be sent against them. You cannot die, You are the only hope of the family. I have no son, No daughter, No wife, I might ask to get a break from military to help you at the hospital. Maybe i'll even save your life there.

OOC
You can see how zargoth is desperate for cain to stay alive. Cain is currently the biggest chance of the family surviving and Zargoth must ensure that he does prolong the family dynasty.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:47:14 am by Hahayeah »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 29, 2013, 04:26:47 pm »

... (idk if i do cause i didn't see my relationships list)...(idk again)...(maybe i do but idk)
OOC:
OMG, Hahayeah, would you be willing to get a save and get your relationships list yourself (or maybe even provide everyone with their list)? Because if you want it - I can upload it. No one asked yet, so I never uploaded it.

And be sure to check my previous post, as I have updated it with lemonpie fate.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 29, 2013, 04:42:23 pm »

IC
Lord_Lemonpie...I don't know if he had a reason to go through the stream but.... if he did then he died doing his job. I don't know if peasants should have funerals. We never did get a law that says everyone should have funerals. Will we have a funeral or not?

OOC
If you could provide me a relationships list then that'd be great, I'll edit my post if i do get one.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2013, 04:52:59 pm »

I can only provide you with a save on dffd. Want it or not?

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 29, 2013, 04:54:08 pm »

Sure, Besides i wanna see where i am currently at the map. I won't post anything tho..
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 60