Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87956 times)

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #375 on: December 26, 2013, 03:38:18 am »

IC
CLAY?!?!

Are you not dwarfs?  Clay is a child's material, not fit for dwarves to live in.  I, for one, WILL NOT live in a clay house.  This is a material for elves and humans, those who cannot hew stone to their will.  It is an absolute abomination that this community of dwarves is even considering using clay for anything beyond trinkets for children. 

Will you please consider the ramifications of building a CLAY CITY on the storied reputation of all dwarven kind?  I implore you to discard this elven idea!  Wood is an acceptable temporary substitute for stone construction, but dwarves should be surrounded by stone, above ground or below.

ColdBones the miner is visibly upset at the idea of a city made of clay.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 26, 2013, 05:17:21 am »

IC
Tell me, In what house would you rather live in:

*A Clay house which cannot be set on fire or easily destroyed, Making it perfect until we get our mines back?
Or
*A wooden house which will be set on fire by goblins and you along with it. A weak and highly flamable house is not good in either way, Crafts maybe but a house certainly not!

If you do not like it, You may live in a wooden house, But when the goblins come don't whine to the divines after you die to fire and your house destroyed. Now think about it again.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 26, 2013, 05:46:15 am »

IC
CLAY?!?!

Are you not dwarfs?  Clay is a child's material, not fit for dwarves to live in.  I, for one, WILL NOT live in a clay house.  This is a material for elves and humans, those who cannot hew stone to their will.  It is an absolute abomination that this community of dwarves is even considering using clay for anything beyond trinkets for children. 
Will you please consider the ramifications of building a CLAY CITY on the storied reputation of all dwarven kind?  I implore you to discard this elven idea!  Wood is an acceptable temporary substitute for stone construction, but dwarves should be surrounded by stone, above ground or below.

Silence peasant, this is a council matter, you shall not sway us!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2013, 05:50:12 am »

It is already a deadlock, 4 people have voted for it and i will enforce the law whether you like it or not Coldbones.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2013, 06:33:03 am »

It is already a deadlock, 4 people have voted for it and i will enforce the law whether you like it or not Coldbones.

Private Zargoth,
well, you will be able to enforce stuff when and if you will be an overseer. Until then - it is my call, and I decided to call for the council wisdom.

Dear fellow Senator Neblime,
while council is certainly within its rights to mandate overboard improvements and large scale constructions, it would also be good to consider peasantry opinions, especially if those improvements and constructions are directly involving peasants. Dead or alive. At least we should not snap at them, unless we want to face a large-scale peasant uprising.

Also, is it not time to conclude the dignified burial act voting? It looks like it passed, but we still need an official announcement and publication in the laws section.
Speaking of which, while underground(below aquifer level) catacombs are certainly possible at some point, I still consider them way too much of a hassle to dig for peasantry. And here are my motivations:
1. To make them distinct from the mines we will need to puncture aquifer in at least one more location, which is kind of dangerous enterprise.
2. While we have not extracted valuables from a few levels yet, we cannot be sure that a tomb will not be turned into a new mine.
3. Below aquifer tombs are at a constant risk of submerging in case of even smallish errors.
4. Fell beasts and demons can come at us together with necromancers, can come at us together or in short interval, and we can be at disadvantage fighting our own dead in the narrow hallways of the crypts. (I admit, it is a long shot, but still)
5. King made it perfectly clear that we are to mimic other races' ways of life, and no other race except dwarves bury their dead deep underground. While influential nobles can summon their corrupted power to create dynastic crypts, it should certainly not apply to every single serf.

So it will be 2x2 stone(or maybe brick?) burial tombs at a soil level(20 blocks), capped with a slab for easy mourning access.
Since it looks like we will also have an exhumation ban - we will only need two such tombs for now. I believe I will be able to find enough blocks for that near the mason works.

Dear friends, those of you who relentlessly work on the fortifications designs (you, my friend Dwarf4Explosive, and other dwarves, who, I know, work more secretely),
Please keep in mind that our overall paradigm forbids easily constructable impregnable walls. Walls between towers and gates will be scaleable, even if at low speed and making an attacker exposed. The more fortification experience we will have - the better walls we will be able to design(longer and more dangerous scaling), but it will be a gradual process, and walls will never be totally impregnable and safe.
Please start with a simple defense, suitable for a small hamlet, like maybe a stockade. Then, after some skirmishes - improve it a bit and add some guard posts and small archer platforms. After a few more skirmishes - improve walls a bit further and upgrade platforms to towers. Then rebuild it all from stone... That kind of thing. Gradual and realistic behavior, that does not imply that we have The Wall (The Game of Thrones) surrounding our modest hamlet of, currently, 3 buildings.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2013, 06:41:08 am »

What of the other votes? Have other certain votes passed or haven't they?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 26, 2013, 06:43:39 am »

Also, what do you guys think? can we bury our current two corpses on the spot of their deaths? This will certainly add a little bit of spectacularity to the site and add will help us to both record our combat history and increase landmark value. Memorials created from surface slabs will also help to unload current(arbitrarily placed) meeting areas.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 26, 2013, 06:47:17 am »

If we do that'll please cain because his wife was one of the victims so he doesn't want to move her, If it pleases cain then it'll please Me. Also we should create a slab memorializing his child.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 26, 2013, 06:49:41 am »

If we do that'll please cain because his wife was one of the victims so he doesn't want to move her, If it pleases cain then it'll please Me. Also we should create a slab memorializing his child.

His child is not dead. At least we have no proof of that. Memorializing a living person as a deceased can be considered an awfully bad omen.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 26, 2013, 06:50:30 am »

Also, what do you guys think? can we bury our current two corpses on the spot of their deaths? This will certainly add a little bit of spectacularity to the site and add will help us to both record our combat history and increase landmark value. Memorials created from surface slabs will also help to unload current(arbitrarily placed) meeting areas.

Yea, I think that makes sense.

Teledwarf Towntunnel (+14) Suggests prioritizing Pottery Industry
Agree, it would be a practical way of helping our industry, clay is readily available.
For:6
Against:0
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:53:01 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 26, 2013, 07:20:36 am »

Also, is it not time to conclude the dignified burial act voting? It looks like it passed, but we still need an official announcement and publication in the laws section.
Speaking of which, while underground(below aquifer level) catacombs are certainly possible at some point, I still consider them way too much of a hassle to dig for peasantry. And here are my motivations:
1. To make them distinct from the mines we will need to puncture aquifer in at least one more location, which is kind of dangerous enterprise.
2. While we have not extracted valuables from a few levels yet, we cannot be sure that a tomb will not be turned into a new mine.
3. Below aquifer tombs are at a constant risk of submerging in case of even smallish errors.
4. Fell beasts and demons can come at us together with necromancers, can come at us together or in short interval, and we can be at disadvantage fighting our own dead in the narrow hallways of the crypts. (I admit, it is a long shot, but still)
5. King made it perfectly clear that we are to mimic other races' ways of life, and no other race except dwarves bury their dead deep underground. While influential nobles can summon their corrupted power to create dynastic crypts, it should certainly not apply to every single serf.
Nay, tis an hour or two before the time of vote counting yet (as it was debated.)
Also, brick is acceptable, and I am sure we can oercome these challenges, perhaps by sealing each tomb with a wall.
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 26, 2013, 08:20:12 am »

If we seal our tombs, how will necromancers and fell beasts of yore wreak havoc in the graveyards/crypts?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 26, 2013, 08:49:22 am »

Neblime Inkydance (+10) -> (+12) Proposes the dignified burial act
For: 4
Against: 2
(I think :S)
Result: The law is enacted, neblime inkydances gains 2 influence
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:51:24 am by neblime »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 26, 2013, 08:59:47 am »

Dwarf4Explosives Proposes the dwarven culture act
For:2
Against:3
Result: The law is not enacted and dwarf4explosives loses 2 influence
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:20:06 am by neblime »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2013, 09:04:09 am »

Dwarf4Explosives proposes The ballista gate project
For:1
Against:3
Result: The proposal is rejected.  Dwarf4Explosives loses 2 influence

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 60